Been cruising around and looking for an answer to this one, what do you guys think?

I have a wifi playbook and 9810 which work great together and solve my no home internet problem for the most part. I found ,my self wondering earlier if some smart dev might be able to come up with a way to have the Playbook become a hotspots for devices such as my android tablet using its bridge connection.

I know I could put 7.1 on my 9810 and make it a hotspots but that requires a feathering plan on att.

Has this occurred to anyone else as a useful feature? Just me?
    08-09-12 11:03 PM
    I would think you need a source, such as 3G data. Thus, a wifi tablet wouldn't work to be a source in and of itself.
    08-10-12 12:38 AM
    I would think you need a source, such as 3G data. Thus, a wifi tablet wouldn't work to be a source in and of itself.
    Agreed, but a wifi tablet bridged with a bb can get to the internets, is there a way perhaps to pass that connection through a hotspot capability?

I have some coding very experience bug nothing on the bb or environments and wouldn't know where to begin.
    08-10-12 12:42 AM
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If your BlackBerry is connected to wifi and you use bridge, your PlayBook will use the wifi via the phone.
    08-10-12 02:40 AM
    Plus, speaking from a network admin point of view -- it will be pathetically slow on a full on PC browser. You would be wirelessly connected to something that is bluetooth connected to something else, both of which are using the data as well.

That would also violate your "large overuse" policy with your cell phone carrier, and they might charge you for data no matter what your cell phone plan has.
    08-10-12 08:52 AM
    I'm with Justin on this. I just don't think it would be workable. HOWEVER you do have a shot now that the 4G LTE PlayBook is out, now THAT could possibly get such an app and it might be backwardly compatible, but like Justin said it would be painfully show on the other devices connected. Have you ever made copies of VCR tapes (back in the day)? This would be similar in concept, the connection would degrade at each connection, much like a copy of a copy is not as good as the original, in VCR terms.
    08-10-12 09:01 AM
    I'm basically planning on using it so i can browse on my Android tablet and perhaps download apps from google play.

not planning to use the data connection any more heavily than i do on the playbook.

i just wondered from a development stand point if it was even feasible?o

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    08-10-12 10:07 AM
    Now that I think about it, Android devices do have an internet pass-through mode, but that requires physical cables AFAIK.
    08-10-12 10:18 AM
    Likely not, unfortunately.

I do not believe we have access to the API for wiFi networking.
    08-10-12 10:22 AM
    PB as a hotspot is not possible at the moment.
    08-12-12 08:52 AM
    From what I understand, what you're asking is not (currently) possible on any devices.

I think what you're asking is that the Playbook acts as a hotspot, and bridges that connection to it's bluetooth bridge to the phone, which bridges that connection to the 3G connection, thus giving you internet.

If the Playbook is connected to wifi, it isn't (currently) possible to also have it set up as a wifi hotspot, because the wifi modem is busy connecting to the network. They aren't designed to broadcast a network, and connect to one at the same time (currently). And I doubt they would do it, because the question... "what's the point?" comes to mind.

So if what you want to do is pass through your internet connection to your phone, by using the bluetooth, it's not currently possible. I believe I've read elsewhere that some people have had limited success in tethering their android devices to the bridge and getting internet that way, even though it's not a playbook. So that might be an avenue worth exploring.
    08-12-12 11:32 AM
    I think the OP wants to know can he use his playbook as a hotspot.

So BlackBerry Smartphone connected via bridge to PlayBook
    PlayBook broadcasts/relays its connection via WiFi hotspot capability.

I have been hunting for a similar application myself, will let you know if I turn up anything.
    10-02-13 01:18 AM
    All BlackBerry OS7 and BB10 phones have mobile hotspot. Connect your Android tab directly to your BB mobile hotspot.

If you want to get creative, plug your older, non-hotspot capable BlackBerry into a DDWRT router via USB cable and use your 3G data as your source for data on your router.

Or use Desktop Manager app on your PC to connect your BlackBerry to your PC via USB and enable modem mode then use a virtual WiFi router software on your PC to broadcast a signal for your tab.

Lots of ways to do this...
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    10-03-13 01:21 AM
    All BlackBerry OS7 and BB10 phones have mobile hotspot. Connect your Android tab directly to your BB mobile hotspot.

If you want to get creative, plug your older, non-hotspot capable BlackBerry into a DDWRT router via USB cable and use your 3G data as your source for data on your router.

Or use Desktop Manager app on your PC to connect your BlackBerry to your PC via USB and enable modem mode then use a virtual WiFi router software on your PC to broadcast a signal for your tab.

Lots of ways to do this...
    pretty f'n slick... ,,, only thing is, in some cases, hotspot must be added to the plan..
    10-19-13 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD