I remember the fights online very well, I bought the iphone on the 3rd day (missed the lines ). Fact is, mms didn't make a hill of beans difference. The 1st iphone didn't sell well because it was full price with a 2 year contract. That was its biggest fault. It took off once the 3g released and carriers subsidized it, it still didn't have mms then but it sold like crazy. Mms just wasn't a big deal when the phone as a whole was compared to other "smartphones" on the market at the time. Sure, they could mms but everything else they did paled in comparison to the iphone. Frankly we wouldn't have the phones we now have if apple hadn't released the iphone, it changed the entire landscape even without mms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Totally agree that the iPhone has changed the industry and what people expect from a smart phone, but this conversation is about apps, and their seems to be this revisionist history that the iPhone launched with today's ecosystem in place back in 2007, and it was lacking nothing.
    05-26-11 08:51 AM
    Thats true. I think thats because very few of these guys actually owned a 1st gen iPhone and dont remember how it was. The majority of people had the 3g as their forst iPhone and by then things had advanced a little and the appstore was announced. People seem to forget that the 1st gen even existed! The built in apps on the 1st gen were miles ahead of what existed before but there was no appstore, not even webapps at launch, that took a few months to take off. It lacked a lot to be honest, but that didn't seem to hurt it. Now were at a point where people look to the iPhone/iPad as the standard and they naturally expect other device ecosystems to be comparable. Launching without an SDK, or some industry leading apps ready to go just isnt acceptable these days. That's one thing Apple does right, they get the SDK to the major developers before they release a new OS so that the big apps are ready to go.

Totally agree that the iPhone has changed the industry and what people expect from a smart phone, but this conversation is about apps, and their seems to be this revisionist history that the iPhone launched with today's ecosystem in place back in 2007, and it was lacking nothing.
    05-26-11 09:17 AM
    Like it or not, there are alot of things that RIM can learn from how Apple runs there app ecosystem, from SDK to organization of programming apis to cost of apps. Apple might be very closed but even so they are 100x better than where RIM is right now
    05-26-11 09:47 AM
    In terms of Apps, then 1/10th of Apple are a good 9'999'999'999'999'999'999x better than the whole of RIM. Heck, even Symbian is better than RIM. They NEED that NDK.
    05-26-11 10:02 AM
    I worked very d** hard for my credit rating and would not want anybody poking around in my computer stealing my identity. MAC OS is not secure no matter what you might think and I will never trust it's secure.
    I'm curious. . . what did you use to enter this comment? It doesn't appear to have been a mobile device.
    05-26-11 10:13 AM
    2007 people. iPhone was a consumer device and even dumb phones had MMS then. I think most smart phones then could copy and paste too. Point is the iPhone had its flaws and shortcomings at release, and didn't have an app base either and it took almost a year for that to start growing.
    The App Store didn't launch until July 2008, and having a year of iPhone/iPod Touch sales behind it at that time certainly helped.
    05-26-11 10:27 AM
    I'm curious. . . what did you use to enter this comment? It doesn't appear to have been a mobile device.
    On my PB on full web page. Note I'm talking about mac os not about pc or the pb.
    05-26-11 12:58 PM
    I thought everybody was preaching apps doesn't matter and apps aren't needed because of the "full" web browser?

05-26-11 03:45 PM
    Like it or not, there are alot of things that RIM can learn from how Apple runs there app ecosystem, from SDK to organization of programming apis to cost of apps. Apple might be very closed but even so they are 100x better than where RIM is right now
    IMO the app cost has already been fixed with the PB.... The price differences on PB apps vs BB OS5/6 apps is drastic (even towards the latter part of OS6 app devs started getting the idea and started competing with $0.99 games).
    05-26-11 03:47 PM
    I'm sorry, are you saying that a windows pc is more secure than a Mac? That's the first time I've ever heard anyone claim that.

On my PB on full web page. Note I'm talking about mac os not about pc or the pb.
    05-26-11 03:56 PM
    I'm sorry, are you saying that a windows pc is more secure than a Mac? That's the first time I've ever heard anyone claim that.
    Not necessarily, but I have double firewall and a killer anti-virus ware on my PC. And the mac is not any securer... check some of the postings on hacker news. In a recent web security conference it took hackers 12 minutes to exploit a mac weakness via Safari...

But we are not way, way of topic since this thread was about apps..
    05-26-11 07:47 PM
    time, and only time will tell. 16th of june or september, or everywhere in between.
    but apps will be more related to sdk release isn't it?
    Yeah if that happens it would be great!
    05-26-11 11:40 PM
    IMO the app cost has already been fixed with the PB.... The price differences on PB apps vs BB OS5/6 apps is drastic (even towards the latter part of OS6 app devs started getting the idea and started competing with $0.99 games).
    prices are set by devs, not by apple or rim. so if an app is too expensive then thats the devs fault.
    05-26-11 11:53 PM
    Yeah but the dev environment is set by rim. Dev environment helps depict quantity and quality of apps, which affects prices.

If it wasnt for the adobe sdk stuff and flash i think prices would be higher in general

05-27-11 01:01 AM
    Competetion sets the prices. On iOS it was a race to the bottom because of volume of apps. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it gave the consumer a break. The BB hasnt been that way because of limited options. On iOS for example, berrybuzz would be free, or 99c because there would be 30 other apps that did the same thing (I know it wouldn't get approved on iOS but thats a different matter). Hopefully it'll be the same way on the PB, if it isn't it would say to me that development has failed to advance the platform. If development for the PB is as scarce as it is for the BB were screwed.

prices are set by devs, not by apple or rim. so if an app is too expensive then thats the devs fault.
    05-27-11 06:53 AM
190 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD