The simple fact of the matter is that Flash is a major component of the web experience denied to iOS users. The PB also allows me to mute sound but that doesn't mean that sound is undesirable. Full access and full control of that experience is the idea behind the PB and RIM. Should Flash become obsolete and replaced by something more efficient, then that's great (I have no vested interest in Flash) but until then it remains, I repeat, a major component of the web experience.
    Flash is a liability that RIM is touting as a feature in an attempt to differentiate itself.

The annoying flash links on the playbook browser that accidently get selected during browsing are awful.

Enjoy your flash while it is still around because it won't be for long.
    05-24-11 10:41 AM
    Isn't this a self-fulfilling issue, though? In other words, there aren't many decent/brand name developers working on PlayBook apps. As a result, there aren't many decent/brand name apps available. That, in turn, means that as people evaluate whether or not to develop for the PlayBook, they decide there isn't enough return on investment to develop for the PlayBook because they see poor app activity due to a lack of decent/brand name apps/developers. Which means that junk apps get developed instead, which means that better developers stay away, which means that more junk apps get developed, which means...

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    seems to me is that with RIM's acquisition of The Astonishing Tribe will bring out some really awesome apps in the near future for the Playbook. Not to mention the Android Emulation app that will be able to run Android apps. So it seems that the app "flood gate" is about to be opened for the Playbook. Patience is a virtue!!!
    05-24-11 10:44 AM
    Maybe you're right, perhaps I just dont visit those sites that you visit but I will say again, I've yet to find a video that plays on the PB (or my laptop) that doesn't play on the iPad. I'm not interested in more ads or a slower browser to be honest, just the ability to play the content I look at, which, so far, I can do. I think Apple has pretty much negated flash and most people are designing sites to cater to iOS.

Flash is a major component of the intertubes denied to mobile iOS users.
    05-24-11 10:48 AM
    ...but until then it remains, I repeat, a major component of the web experience.
    A major component? Really? You can "repeat" all you want, but I don't consider advertising a "major component" that enhances my web browsing experience. Maybe you like ads? Maybe you can't get through your day without playing a Flash game? Me, I block Flash whenever possible, and I have yet to feel left out. I have yet to feel like I'm just not getting the "full" web experience.

*shrug*

As a matter of fact, browsing the front page of crackberry.com is painful on the PlayBook due to all the Flash content (ads). Ironic.
    05-24-11 10:49 AM
    Don't you worry your silly little head about the future of Flash. Adobe, (you've heard of Adobe, right?) will keep developing it and making it more stream lined and awesome. Flash is far from being fazed out.
    05-24-11 10:52 AM
    seems to me is that with RIM's acquisition of The Astonishing Tribe will bring out some really awesome apps in the near future for the Playbook. Not to mention the Android Emulation app that will be able to run Android apps. So it seems that the app "flood gate" is about to be opened for the Playbook. Patience is a virtue!!!
    Yeah, the TAT apps could be fantastic, but like everything else at this point, is only potential. And my latest understanding about Android emulation is that the Android environment on the PlayBook won't actually run everything out there. There are version limitations, or something like that. I need to go dig up what I ran across the other day about the limitations with the Android emulation. Didn't leave me with a good feeling.

I do hope I'm wrong, I really do. So much so, in fact, that I have no intention of getting rid of the PlayBook. Lately I just feel as if we are being led down a dead-end path.
    05-24-11 10:53 AM
    Flash is a liability that RIM is touting as a feature in an attempt to differentiate itself.

The annoying flash links on the playbook browser that accidently get selected during browsing are awful.

Liability? i bought the PB specifically because it is Flash capable.

FWIW, I rarely inadvertently hit flash links so here's a tip for you if your technique is a little sloppy: pop down the browser tab and cancel the accidentally triggered page. Takes one second and two taps. This gets back to the paradigm change being ushered in by RIM. Some expect the PB to be an iPad. It's not. It's an entirely different beasty with capabilities already beyond what the iOS can do.

The PB is like a raw rookie with mega talent. In its raw state, it already can do things that established vets never could. The question remains whether or not this rookie OS will turn into a game changing player. The potential is certainly there.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    05-24-11 10:56 AM
    Flash is far from being fazed out.
    I doubt Flash will go anywhere either, but I do see its use being paralleled by alternates across the internet. We see that now, as a matter of fact, to some degree. For example, YouTube will serve either Flash video or HTML 5 video, depending on the device/browser. The end of all this will be Flash won't matter... it will stop being the holy grail of the internet.

Some of us believe that it never was the holy grail. Others can't seem to live without it.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 05-24-11 at 11:00 AM.
    05-24-11 10:57 AM
    2 sites I used on my PlayBook that were Flash based are Vevo and Crackle. The experience was ok. Both are available as apps for iOS and are actually a better user experience in my opinion. I have come across a few things on my iPad that simply don't work, bit for the most part it's either covered by an app or SkyFire browser. While Flash may have it's place, it's certainly not the end all be all of the web.

And I've seen 'Please download the latest version of Flash' on my PB as well. Wasn't impressed with that especially with 10.2 on it already.
    05-24-11 10:59 AM
    Maybe you're right, perhaps I just dont visit those sites that you visit but I will say again, I've yet to find a video that plays on the PB (or my laptop) that doesn't play on the iPad. I'm not interested in more ads or a slower browser to be honest, just the ability to play the content I look at, which, so far, I can do. I think Apple has pretty much negated flash and most people are designing sites to cater to iOS.
    Funny how many people, I know personally, that have jail broke their iPhones (me included) and iPads so they can get Flash and the full web experience and also be able to do things that Apple doesn't seem to want to allow. I wonder why that is? Hmmm!
    05-24-11 10:59 AM
    Don't you worry your silly little head about the future of Flash. Adobe, (you've heard of Adobe, right?) will keep developing it and making it more stream lined and awesome. Flash is far from being fazed out.
    Adobe will still be around but flash won't.

Want further proof?

80% of Mobile Video Views Happen on Apple Devices - NYTimes.com
    05-24-11 11:02 AM
    Adobe will still be around but flash won't.

Want further proof?

80% of Mobile Video Views Happen on Apple Devices - NYTimes.com
    Because Apple has a really cool phone and there are a lot of them out there.. But, the real question is, how many of those Apple devices are there out there that have been jail broke and viewing video from Flash sites? I know my iPhone is one of them.
    05-24-11 11:07 AM
    adobe also came up with this

Adobe Unveils ‘Wallaby’ Flash-to-HTML5 Converter | Webmonkey | Wired.com

which points to a weakening of flash based content.
    05-24-11 11:11 AM
    ...how many of those Apple devices are there out there that have been jail broke and viewing video from Flash sites?
    There are certainly people with iOS devices that have jailbroken them to allow Flash content, just as there are PlayBooks out there with Flash support turned off (mine being one of them).
    2 sites I used on my PlayBook that were Flash based are Vevo and Crackle. The experience was ok. Both are available as apps for iOS and are actually a better user experience in my opinion. I have come across a few things on my iPad that simply don't work, bit for the most part it's either covered by an app or SkyFire browser. While Flash may have it's place, it's certainly not the end all be all of the web.

And I've seen 'Please download the latest version of Flash' on my PB as well. Wasn't impressed with that especially with 10.2 on it already.
    I don't know about Vevo, never heard of it till now, but I've watched 2 movies on Crackle with no problems at all. Great picture and no skips or lockups.
    There are certainly people with iOS devices that have jailbroken them to allow Flash content, just as there are PlayBooks out there with Flash support turned off (mine being one of them).
    Isn't it nice to have been given the option to turn Flash on or off by your choice instead of not given that option unless you void your warranty by jail breaking your device?
    05-24-11 11:16 AM
    adobe also came up with this

Adobe Unveils �Wallaby� Flash-to-HTML5 Converter | Webmonkey*| Wired.com

which points to a weakening of flash based content.
    Mostly used for converting ad banners. Doesn't convert Action Script or more complex .fla files.
    05-24-11 11:22 AM
    Isn't it nice to have been given the option to turn Flash on or off by your choice instead of not given that option unless you void your warranty by jail breaking your device?
    Nope. I don't need the option to turn off Flash on a device that doesn't support Flash. If the PlayBook didn't support Flash I would be fine with that.
    05-24-11 11:28 AM
    Flash is dead..

Read this final death blow...

Apple Goes Nuclear In War Against Adobe Flash | The Daily Feed | Minyanville.com

"Jonathan Deutsch and Ryan Nielsen have designed and released Hype -- a viable HTML5 alternative to Flash available for the Mac. Like Flash, the program uses keyframes for designers to create animations and transitions for web content. However, Hype uses the WebKit engine which powers Google Chrome and Safari.

Already, the software is the top grossing app in the Mac App Store since launching last Friday.

In an interview with The Startup Foundry, Deutsch said he teamed up with Nielsen to create a tool that would be supported on mobile devices. "While Flash enables some really great content on the web, there's lots of people who aren't favorable on it due to its lack of accessibility, CPU usage, or crashes. It isn't appropriate for mobile."

Hype, on the other hand, is fully supported on iOS and Android devices.

The software is feature heavy and the official site also includes tutorials to help newbies get started with kicking Flash to the curb.

Although Deutsch admits that Adobe has been making progress in Flash's stability on mobile devices, that all could be moot if the alternative is so simple, accessible, stable, and widely supported"
    Perhaps it's me, but isn't this typical of Apple. We won't give you anything of use in our iProducts to make it easier for you because it's so you can "customize" it. When the truth really is, we won't give you anything you can you use in our products because there is an app for that and it'll cost you more money.

If I spent that kind of money on a product I want it to work without having to get an app for it.

As for this whole Flash vs HTML, this argument is as redundant as Mac vs PC. I don't think either software just as I don't think either platforms will be going away soon.

All I know is I resent having to get apps for things that I should be able to do. I didn't have to get that much apps to make my BB phone work and I only paid for two apps for my PB.

I certainly didn't have to pay for apps to make my PC work.

As for people who loves to have notifications on their FB page, you either don't get that much postings or you're completely addicted to FB. I have FB on my phone and I log off everytime I'm finished using it or my phone will constantly be vibrating... if I want to check out what's happening with my FB page I'll dictate when I want to get the info, not have that info push thru to me like an email.
    05-24-11 11:33 AM
    Mine is jailbroken also, but jailbreaking doesnt bring flash to the iPad. There is "frash" port but it just doesn't work.

Funny how many people, I know personally, that have jail broke their iPhones (me included) and iPads so they can get Flash and the full web experience and also be able to do things that Apple doesn't seem to want to allow. I wonder why that is? Hmmm!
    05-24-11 11:36 AM

"apps" are just the term for software for mobile devices. Are you sure you would prefer a PC with no software?

No? then why do you want a tablet with no apps?
    05-24-11 11:37 AM
    I think he was talking about having the web work but actually he is wrong as you have to download flash and download java or keep them up to date. I do have to say though that there shouldn't need to be an app for everything, just a way for people to line their pockets because people are lazy now a days and can't do anything for themselves.
    05-24-11 11:49 AM
    I think most of us would agree that as of right now, the PlayBook lacks the app support that the iOS devices have, and judging by the posts in these forums apps are what a majority of the users want. And I believe that they are coming, it's just a matter of when.

PlayBook has a fuller web experience, iPad has more apps. Both get the job done for their respective users for the most part. Neither one fulfills all needs for most users.

The PlayBook has the hardware to go the distance, now the software/apps need to catch up. Now if only the iPad had the PB's speaker set up...
    05-24-11 11:51 AM
    "apps" are just the term for software for mobile devices. Are you sure you would prefer a PC with no software?

No? then why do you want a tablet with no apps?
    My PC comes loaded with software out of the box and the only extra I bought for it was Office Suite because I need it for work. If I didn't I can make do with the stripped down version of Office. It still has software functionality.

Perhaps not a good analogy to use, but I still stick to my original point about apps and as you said within mobile devices:

Perhaps it's me, but isn't this typical of Apple. We won't give you anything of use in our iProducts to make it easier for you because it's so you can "customize" it. When the truth really is, we won't give you anything you can you use in our products because there is an app for that and it'll cost you more money.

If I spent that kind of money on a product I want it to work without having to get an app for it.

Which loops us back to your posting of an article that Apple goes nuclear against flash. That's also not a state secret that Apple is anti-flash. It's just ironic/oddly coincidental due to the timing of this with PB coming out with Flash.

Of course it's Apples and RIMS points of distinction.

Still why should I have to get an App to get better HTML experience if Apple is that gung ** to support it. Why shouldn't this be a much needed iOS update instead of making consumers buy it???
    05-24-11 11:53 AM
    Really? No apps at all? So no Microsoft Office, because Notepad works good enough, huh? And no Photoshop, because Paint is all anyone really needs? And no World of Warcraft, because Minesweeper is a classic, and who could possibly want anything more than Minesweeper?

Yeah... who needs apps.
    05-24-11 11:54 AM
190 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD