No fair teasing. I want to hear. PM me if you must, consider this my NDA.
    Didn't know you were a dev KermEd how about a plug for your app(s)?
    Most of my stuff is non-PB Lots of Android, and portable handhelds like the GP2X Wiz. Im working on bringing some of them over in OS2 (the languages I use are good for cross platform to Android, then its just a small jump to the PlayBook).

If you search up FileArchiveHaven in Appworld you'll find me.

I have 3 apps pending, and about a dozen service packs pending (testing by RIM).

Most of my stuff is behind the scenes though, trying to contribute with different developer groups.

Anyway the Business app I started drafting is pretty straightforward (I dont mind public statements! Keeps the pressure on!). It is for meeting notes and sketching. It functions as an editable SVG page that is scaleable (unlimited) in all directions. So your drawings are a list of lines, you can add shapes and text objects, and pinch to zoom or swipe to scroll.

The file can then output to an SVG, PNG, or .MeetingFile (xml) package. So you can open it tomorrow and keep editing.

The idea being you simply document the meeting as you go how it feels comfortable.

I have been looking at email applications through NDK, a possible UPnP (true DLNA) client using your pc/mac/linux as a temporary translator/balancer but i need to research more about how to handle the actual streams (browsing is easy). And drafting up a free phone - PlayBook two way controller.

But somehow I get side tracked working on games, service packs, and submitting apps that seem to get stuck in the RIM void.

But, im also out of ideas now. So need to start thinking up a new project or line of projects and im hoping to start looking for wanted business apps that are easy to push out.

-ed
    spike12 likes this.
    01-03-12 01:18 AM
    Most of my stuff is non-PB Lots of Android, and portable handhelds like the GP2X Wiz. Im working on bringing some of them over in OS2 (the languages I use are good for cross platform to Android, then its just a small jump to the PlayBook).

If you search up FileArchiveHaven in Appworld you'll find me.

I have 3 apps pending, and about a dozen service packs pending (testing by RIM).

Most of my stuff is behind the scenes though, trying to contribute with different developer groups.

Anyway the Business app I started drafting is pretty straightforward (I dont mind public statements! Keeps the pressure on!). It is for meeting notes and sketching. It functions as an editable SVG page that is scaleable (unlimited) in all directions. So your drawings are a list of lines, you can add shapes and text objects, and pinch to zoom or swipe to scroll.

The file can then output to an SVG, PNG, or .MeetingFile (xml) package. So you can open it tomorrow and keep editing.

The idea being you simply document the meeting as you go how it feels comfortable.

I have been looking at email applications through NDK, a possible UPnP (true DLNA) client using your pc/mac/linux as a temporary translator/balancer but i need to research more about how to handle the actual streams (browsing is easy). And drafting up a free phone - PlayBook two way controller.

But somehow I get side tracked working on games, service packs, and submitting apps that seem to get stuck in the RIM void.

But, im also out of ideas now. So need to start thinking up a new project or line of projects and im hoping to start looking for wanted business apps that are easy to push out.

-ed
    Awesome idea - so you can do a rough sketch zoomed out with a clumsy stylus and then scale it back down to a finely detailed drawing. Perfect! Solves the clumsy stylus problem.

Putting pressure on

Now I know who to send my wish list too
    KermEd likes this.
    01-03-12 02:11 AM
    If Netflix is critical why has it's audience diminished drastically and it's stock dropped from 300 to 70 in the past year?

I had a trial version for a month and couldn't find any movies I even wanted to watch. I spent the month watching the madmen TV series- probably could have done that without netflix.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-03-12 02:27 AM
    Good grief. I like the Playbook too, but let us not get ahead of ourselves. It doesn't even come close to having the apps needed for either work or play. For work, the most important app for a lot of users is an app that allows remote access to a PC. Nothing on that front yet; I've tried using Teamviewer on the browser and others like it with very limited success.

And where are Kindle, HBOGO, Netflix, Hulu and Kindle to name a few of the most essential apps that are not accessible by the Playbook's browser? It is okay to love the Playbook. It is just not okay to gloss over its faults for that reason. It doesn't come close to having the apps needed. Angry Birds only goes so far. Kindle is accessible in the cloud, but need the app to easily read content offline.
    i totally agree with what you said. There are huge glaring deficiencies with the pb. No native email from launch is inexcusable for rim. I understand that there are a lot more games for the pb but that still doesn't make up for the lack of some the most basic features. Besides most IT departments lock down all these apps anyways, so the advent of these fun games doesn't really help.
    01-03-12 03:38 AM
    too bad they are all so expensive. Take a look at:

eamobile.com/dailydeals

In the app store everything is on sale for ipad and android for 99 cents. Things like monopoly, game of life, risk, trivial persuit and so on. Meanwhile on playbook they are 6.99, 9.99 etc.
    The North American BlackBerry users tends to be better heeled than their Apple user counterparts hence the higher prices we are generally willing to pay for applications. As the market shifts to the growth-intensive "rest of the world" it will be interesting to see how pricing reflects this transition into what economists call emerging nations.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-03-12 07:12 AM
    The North American BlackBerry users tends to be better heeled than their Apple user counterparts hence the higher prices we are generally willing to pay for applications. As the market shifts to the growth-intensive "rest of the world" it will be interesting to see how pricing reflects this transition into what economists call emerging nations.
    It's hardly because the Blackberry user is "better heeled". There is no competition in the Blackberry App World. No competition = Whatever prices developers want to charge.
    01-03-12 07:17 AM
    does anyone know how many apps are avaliable for the PB now?
    01-09-12 01:12 AM
    Proinsights out now for linkedIn - quality app.
    SimpleBrowser plus - Quality app.
    What's up - quality app.
    Bubble level - quality app.
    Files and Folders - quality app.
    Poynt - quality app
    Plunk - quality app..
    Phone remote - quality app.
    Vevo - quality app.
    Drums- quality app.
    GEOrendr - quality app.
    Just a few that come to mind.
    So many quality apps so little time.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-09-12 at 01:26 AM.
    01-09-12 01:22 AM
    Some of the apps I think are good:

Conqu
    Groovy Notes
    Evernote (really don't know why it has such a low rating)
    StockPulse
    Machinarium (I haven't played it. I just don't play games. But my wife loves it)

Give me native email, IM, and Skype and that will be all that I want.
    01-09-12 01:35 AM
    Some of the apps I think are good:

Conqu
    Groovy Notes
    Evernote (really don't know why it has such a low rating)
    StockPulse
    Machinarium (I haven't played it. I just don't play games. But my wife loves it)

Give me native email, IM, and Skype and that will be all that I want.
    Tried IM+ ? I haven't but it does messaging in windows messenger/MSN, Skype, Facebook,Google Talk, AOL/AIM/iChat/ICQ/Jabber, Yahoo and myspace
    01-09-12 01:48 AM
    Give us Netflix!
    01-09-12 01:51 AM
    Mystery I haven't figured out yet...If everyone bailed on Netflix when they raised their rates - where did they go?
    I had a month free trial and couldn't find a movie worth watching...
    01-09-12 01:54 AM
    Tried IM+ ? I think it also does skype audio?
    Yes, I have it installed. Don't know if you remember but I am the OP of this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ground-685686/

And I do find the Playbook version of IM+ to be absolutely dysfunctional since it does not run a service in the background and does not notify you of new events/messages when closed.

I am really hoping that RIM will either provide SHAPE with everything needed to make IM+ to run in the background or will have the native IM with the ability to link Google Talk, Yahoo, Skype, etc. That is, I hope the native IM will not be a propitiatory service.

Also FYI, IM+ does NOT do audio or video. It is purely a text chatting app (on all OSs).
    01-09-12 01:56 AM
    no teamviewer for playbook = no productivity on playbook
    I have used TeamViewer on the BlackBerry PlayBook in the web browser. Sure it might not be the easiest when it comes to moving around on the remote desktop at least it works well enough and maybe will improve.
    01-09-12 02:00 AM
    To all the Blackberry developers, keep the apps coming in.
    01-09-12 02:54 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD