Playbook can proudly claim that they now have a wide variety of wonderful apps!

I remember how few apps were available in when Playbook arrived in April.

Here are a few examples: (I have OS2 beta, so I can't always tell which are Android).

Angry Birds - Several versions
    Asphalt 6
    Sim City several versions
    Many varied puzzes from 99 cents up - These are quality puzzles with multiple skill levels.
    Madden NFL
    Many quality books (sorry there are so many)

Please - no more complaining about Playbook apps!

And, we have only seen a few Android Apps.

What a wonderful Christmas present - Lots of apps!!!
    flash24, KermEd and BERaddict like this.
    12-26-11 09:11 AM
    All but asphalt6 I believe are BB Appworld Apps, people will still complain about appworld but the fact is that the speed at witch appworld is growing is getting faster and the trend is our friend..
    12-26-11 09:22 AM
    ^ true in the USA I understand, Most people in my country don't listen to the American media, they never seem to respect the views of others. BB app world works for me. Thai supper stars talk BB all the time on TV. just saying
    Last edited by BBThaigurl; 12-26-11 at 09:42 AM.
    Lhendr, Foppa_21, ndon70 and 3 others like this.
    12-26-11 09:37 AM
    Playbook can proudly claim that they now have a wide variety of wonderful apps!

I remember how few apps were available in when Playbook arrived in April.

Here are a few examples: (I have OS2 beta, so I can't always tell which are Android).

Angry Birds - Several versions
    Asphalt 6
    Sim City several versions
    Many varied puzzes from 99 cents up - These are quality puzzles with multiple skill levels.
    Madden NFL
    Many quality books (sorry there are so many)

Please - no more complaining about Playbook apps!

And, we have only seen a few Android Apps.

What a wonderful Christmas present - Lots of apps!!!

And which of these apps will allow me to be more efficient at work?

Games has always existed, on many dedicated game devices... The playbook, despite its weird name, i supposed to be a business device....

Anyway - Season greetings to you all...
    12-26-11 10:25 AM
    too bad they are all so expensive. Take a look at:

eamobile.com/dailydeals

In the app store everything is on sale for ipad and android for 99 cents. Things like monopoly, game of life, risk, trivial persuit and so on. Meanwhile on playbook they are 6.99, 9.99 etc.
    12-26-11 10:52 AM
    Six quality puzzles for 2.99. Sims on sale as well as Madden NFL.
    Other posts indicate higher prices are same for ipad & Android?
    12-26-11 11:17 AM
    Good grief. I like the Playbook too, but let us not get ahead of ourselves. It doesn't even come close to having the apps needed for either work or play. For work, the most important app for a lot of users is an app that allows remote access to a PC. Nothing on that front yet; I've tried using Teamviewer on the browser and others like it with very limited success.

And where are Kindle, HBOGO, Netflix, Hulu and Kindle to name a few of the most essential apps that are not accessible by the Playbook's browser? It is okay to love the Playbook. It is just not okay to gloss over its faults for that reason. It doesn't come close to having the apps needed. Angry Birds only goes so far. Kindle is accessible in the cloud, but need the app to easily read content offline.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 12-26-11 at 11:23 AM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-26-11 11:17 AM

Games has always existed, on many dedicated game devices... The playbook, despite its weird name, i supposed to be a business device....

Citrix receiver is free and rocks.
    Alberta Blue likes this.
    12-26-11 12:48 PM
    no teamviewer for playbook = no productivity on playbook
    12-26-11 12:52 PM
    And where are Kindle, HBOGO, Netflix, Hulu and Kindle to name a few of the most essential apps that are not accessible by the Playbook's browser? It is okay to love the Playbook. It is just not okay to gloss over its faults for that reason. It doesn't come close to having the apps needed. Angry Birds only goes so far. Kindle is accessible in the cloud, but need the app to easily read content offline.
    Yes, the Playbook's library of apps remains dismally small compared to the competition. I hope the situation improves, but it won't do any good to bury our heads in the sand while bleating empty praises.
    12-26-11 12:55 PM
    I was very excited to get my Playbook for Chritmas, but after a day attempting to set it up, I'm a bit frustrated. My sole purpose to get the Playbook was to pair it with my 9650 as a working tool. I had two very basic requirements. One, I wanted full email and calendar control. Email does not appear to be an issue using bridge, but I'm unable to cancel meetings using the bridge. I tried using our web interface, but it doesn't work with the Playbook browser. Two, I wanted a simple "to do" list app with the ability to schedule repeating tasks and one that has alerts. So far I have found no such app.

At this point, it looks like the Playbook will become the home "fun" tablet while the iPad will be my work tablet. Kind of ironic, but for me highlights the need for better apps on the Playbook and some improved browser work.
    12-26-11 03:00 PM
    1. I was showing that there was now interest from major app developers
    2. Adding Android soon will hopefully get us where I had hoped for earlier
    3. RIMM says they are currently focused on Enterprise (business). That won't be successful without business apps! Hopefully Android or something else will give us needed apps.
    Your point is very valid.
    My cup is half full - but without business apps, :-(((
    12-26-11 03:13 PM
    take a look at the ipad apps and android apps then let me know if the playbook has a wide variety of apps. can i have whatever your smoking
    12-26-11 03:18 PM
    Yes, the Playbook's library of apps remains dismally small compared to the competition. I hope the situation improves, but it won't do any good to bury our heads in the sand while bleating empty praises.

take a look at the ipad apps and android apps then let me know if the playbook has a wide variety of apps. can i have whatever your smoking
    So what is the can't-do-without app that we are missing? netflix or skype?
    Curious.

Number of apps and variety doesn't help me - it's the number of ones that I need and use that help me.
    My praises of playbook are never empty as I have not found anything I need to do that its doesn't do exceedingly well. I understand that is just me, but if others don't feel that way there are other choices.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-02-12 at 01:32 AM.
    Lhendr likes this.
    01-02-12 01:25 AM
    PB is great hardware but you have to be a bit of a geek to get the most out of it for now.

Ive got working RDP & Kindle, wait til the next update from RIM & in Feb? and it should all be a lot easier.

I can do pretty much everything I could want to now with my PB, except Skype.
    01-02-12 04:42 AM
    Good grief. I like the Playbook too, but let us not get ahead of ourselves. It doesn't even come close to having the apps needed for either work or play. For work, the most important app for a lot of users is an app that allows remote access to a PC. Nothing on that front yet; I've tried using Teamviewer on the browser and others like it with very limited success.

Got to agree. Denying the obvious does not help. The Playbook has nice hardware, but remains absolutely dismal in the app department. Even the HP Touchpad, which was discontinued before it hit the streets, has more of the apps that people expect to find on a tablet--probably one of the reasons the Touchpad, in spite of being an "orphan," is presently selling better than the Playbook (noted by someone here who sells both on Craigslist). RIM badly needs to do what HP did before launch--pay developers to bring the critical apps to the Playbook. Those would include especially the apps like Kindle, Skype and Netflix that serve as gateways to other Internet services and media.
    01-02-12 02:54 PM

You seem like the type of user that might be happier with a Fire. Why did you buy a playbook? I don't see those as essential apps for work.

Pretty sure you can remote access with a VNC app, but honestly I have not tried it outside my own wifi range.

Got to agree. Denying the obvious does not help. The Playbook has nice hardware, but remains absolutely dismal in the app department. Even the HP Touchpad, which was discontinued before it hit the streets, has more of the apps that people expect to find on a tablet--probably one of the reasons the Touchpad, in spite of being an "orphan," is presently selling better than the Playbook (noted by someone here who sells both on Craigslist). RIM badly needs to do what HP did before launch--pay developers to bring the critical apps to the Playbook. Those would include especially the apps like Kindle, Skype and Netflix that serve as gateways to other Internet services and media.
    Critical and essential are strong words for kindle skype and netflix...and ..there ARE other tablets.
    Why people don't just solve their problems with what is on the market instead of complaining about app shortcomings on playbook is beyond me..

Especially ones that have workarounds if they are THAT critical..
    Next we will be hearing that angry birds is critical.

The point of the thread here is that things are getting progressively better, why throw cold water on that truth?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-02-12 at 03:09 PM.
    KermEd and purijagmohan like this.
    01-02-12 03:03 PM
    Critical and essential for marketing success, yes. And, if you know of any way to get Netflix to work on the Playbook (without using another computer as a server or to repackage the stream), please let me know.
    01-02-12 03:11 PM
    Critical and essential for marketing success, yes. And, if you know of any way to get Netflix to work on the Playbook (without using another computer as a server or to repackage the stream), please let me know.
    Netflix is critical for you to market movies?
    01-02-12 04:16 PM
    All but asphalt6 I believe are BB Appworld Apps, people will still complain about appworld but the fact is that the speed at witch appworld is growing is getting faster and the trend is our friend..
    Asphalt6 is in Appworld on PB.. just double checked .. lol.
    01-02-12 04:21 PM
    Amazon prime works perfect for me and I prefer it over netflicks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    purijagmohan likes this.
    01-02-12 04:29 PM
    Quality apps like digital books(digi media), jigsaws(digi media) and GPS(skylab)?
    01-02-12 06:40 PM

I have something in the works. Dunno how it will sell though... Finished rough GUI but I've been too busy to finish the rest.

Problem is most devs are the little guys now and games are more fun to program with a higher return on investment...
    01-03-12 12:56 AM
    I have something in the works. Dunno how it will sell though... Finished rough GUI but I've been too busy to finish the rest.

Problem is most devs are the little guys now and games are more fun to program with a higher return on investment...
    No fair teasing. I want to hear. PM me if you must, consider this my NDA.
    Didn't know you were a dev KermEd how about a plug for your app(s)?
    01-03-12 01:01 AM
    Amazon prime works perfect for me and I prefer it over netflicks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Amazon Prime gives free access to many but not all of Amazon's Instant offerings. The movies/shows that are not free can be rather expensive. Also, the Amazon movie and show selection (Amazon Prime and otherwise) is not as complete as that of Netflix.
    01-03-12 01:18 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD