Playbook or the �do nothing machine�?

Printable View

How much longer should I have to wait?
  • 07-13-11, 06:26 AM
    SuperDuckWC
    So why did you buy a playbook? It does the same thing than the beginning. Yesterday I bought a SPA but I cant train my olympic swiming,wtf?
  • 07-13-11, 06:29 AM
    newcollector
    It is obvious you did not do your homework before buying the Playbook. All this was known before release. You should have waited until the things you are looking for are available later this year. Upgrades are coming that address your concerns. I pre-ordered my Playbook, and have not been disappointed. This "do nothing" machine helps me in my work as sales director and as a minister with presentations, with data evaluation and management etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  • 07-13-11, 06:35 AM
    M.Rizk
    Same, I got an iPad2 32GB and a PB 64GB same day, thought Flash would help me, but nothing to do with it.

Now I keep the PB in charging mode 24h till anything new is released and using my iPad2 for fun and teamviewer.
  • 07-13-11, 06:47 AM
    kbz1960
    So far the playbook is a great media web surfing device and some have been able to use it for business. For being promoted as the first professional grade tab I think they should've added "after we complete it".

I'm sure it's going to be a great professional device when it is done, just not so sure everyone is going to hang on to it until then. All though anyone that comes here or reads about it knew it is what it is at this point being a new OS for RIM and that were going to be growing pains.
  • 07-13-11, 07:03 AM
    Siiid
    Since most entertainment is online these days, Playbook is the best entertainment gadget i have at home, and i've got them all.

Thread title is really childish btw.
  • 07-13-11, 07:40 AM
    saalnaz
    So why did you buy a playbook? It does the same thing than the beginning. Yesterday I bought a SPA but I cant train my olympic swiming,wtf?
    thats what i was thinking too..:D except for the spa thing..why would you buy it without knowing all the specs..
    if you are writing here about your issues you must have known of this site beforehand, no?

people here have mentioned these issues in 10s of threads..
  • 07-13-11, 07:53 AM
    BuzzStarField
    Now Few weeks ago I purchased a beautiful blackberry PlayBook as a self present for my 60th birthday! Now I have in my hands a fantastic piece of high tech device that in reality is a simply �do nothing device�

How much longer should I have to wait?
    I boiled your post down into its essential bits. At age sixty, you should know that you are responsible for your own decisions. You failed to do your due diligence and now you have buyer's remorse. You wasted my time with a "say nothing post".

I am 62. I am willing to bet that when I am 63 in November, many of the issues that you raise will be addressed by RIM and third-party developers. It will take a long time for two of the items on your wish list to be fulfilled:

1. You should contact the iPod developers responsible for the "missing" remote control apps to determine why they are not yet available on PB.

2. Are offline maps available on other tablets?- I doubt it - but if this feature is important to you, then perhaps you ought to contact the developers to find out why they ruined your self-gift.
  • 07-13-11, 08:19 AM
    tim99va
    Few weeks ago I purchased a beautiful blackberry PlayBook as a self present for my 60th birthday! Now I have in my hands a fantastic piece of high tech device that in reality is a simply �do nothing device�:

• I cannot read modify emails offline
    • I cannot synchronize with my small business exchange server
    • It has a fantastic front camera but I cannot chat with no one over Skype, Live Messenger or any other service. I was thinking to use the PB as a mirror for shaving but I am worry that it can be damaged with the water and steam in the bathroom
    • I can synchronize the music with Itunes but there is no shuffle playing
    • I cannot read Kindle e-books
    • I cannot play my favorites Audible Audio books
    • There is a fantastic GPS hardware but I cannot use in the car as the only thing that works (really mediocre) is Bing maps and I need a WIFI connection.
    • Not a single good application for remote control of computers. I am a PLC/Industrial automation consultant at with any small laptop or even my Ipod Touch I can remote control and work on my customer�s computers and controls
    • All days I check in application world to see that the only releases are games for a �business tablet�
    • I am a blackberry fan: my wife, kids and employees use blackberry. I am on the road around the world all the time and BB has been an important business and communication tool, but each day I am more disappointed with my beautiful �do nothing Playbook�

• How much longer should I have to wait? There is music shuffle playing... Maybe it's thicker glasses you need?
  • 07-13-11, 08:33 AM
    czilzer
    At the end of my post I only state one question: How long should I wait? My complain is on speed and timing for the key applications to be released.

In a competitive market people like me and others that are Blackberry fans and believe on the brand are not the ones that will support the business. My fear is that things are moving slow and the PB can be history soon if no competitive applications are offered fast.

So I bought the PB because i believe in Rim capacity even knowing there is a lot of development to go. But after several weeks it obvious that things are really moving very slow, very slow...
  • 07-13-11, 08:39 AM
    czilzer
    I was wrong in this one..
    There is music shuffle playing... Maybe it's thicker glasses you need?
    I was wrong, There is shuffle!
  • 07-13-11, 08:40 AM
    big samm
    Same here... The playbook is always on the charger once in a while I'll play with it but after 15 min it gets boring... I love this thing there's just not much I can do with it... I'm using the iPad and iPhone 4 for now... Hope the future updates changes that!!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
  • 07-13-11, 08:46 AM
    kbz1960
    I was wrong, There is shuffle!
    Are you happy now?
  • 07-13-11, 08:53 AM
    tim99va
    Are you happy now?
    Doubt it. The updates are coming. When Android first came out, it was just about worthless. Same with iOS. Apps were slow to come out, no multitasking, no copy and paste. Look where they are now. Give the damn thing some time to grow. Your 60 years old. How long did it take you to develop?
  • 07-13-11, 08:55 AM
    kbz1960
    Well that should make him happy for a day or so?

Yes it needs time, some are willing to wait........others not so much.
  • 07-13-11, 09:33 AM
    chiefbroski
    Few weeks ago I purchased a beautiful blackberry PlayBook as a self present for my 60th birthday! Now I have in my hands a fantastic piece of high tech device that in reality is a simply �do nothing device�:

• I cannot read modify emails offline
    • I cannot synchronize with my small business exchange server
    • It has a fantastic front camera but I cannot chat with no one over Skype, Live Messenger or any other service. I was thinking to use the PB as a mirror for shaving but I am worry that it can be damaged with the water and steam in the bathroom
    • I can synchronize the music with Itunes but there is no shuffle playing
    • I cannot read Kindle e-books
    • I cannot play my favorites Audible Audio books
    • There is a fantastic GPS hardware but I cannot use in the car as the only thing that works (really mediocre) is Bing maps and I need a WIFI connection.
    • Not a single good application for remote control of computers. I am a PLC/Industrial automation consultant at with any small laptop or even my Ipod Touch I can remote control and work on my customer�s computers and controls
    • All days I check in application world to see that the only releases are games for a �business tablet�
    • I am a blackberry fan: my wife, kids and employees use blackberry. I am on the road around the world all the time and BB has been an important business and communication tool, but each day I am more disappointed with my beautiful �do nothing Playbook�

• How much longer should I have to wait? 1) There is a good remote access application. I forget what it was called but its in the app world. AND you can use an online remote desktop client.
    The web is your #1 app.

2) You can chat with other Playbook users, so you can do it. And you can go to imo.im and have a free video chat with desktop/laptop users. I've tried it an the voice works great. The video works too but you need to fiddle with it. I know its not the best solution but it is possible.

3) You can read Kobo e-books and there are other third-party ebook readers. AND just go online to read some ebooks, it is cheaper.

4) You can tether though a phone to get Bing maps to work on the road. But yes the GPS software is poor. I hope a true Google maps application like the one that works on my phone comes out :)

5) There are more than just games as new releases

Many of your other complains stem from the fact that the playbook doesn't have an email client that you can use offline and that it doesn't have apps. Maybe this tablet isn't for you just yet. It is NOT a do-nothing tablet as you like to spin it. The playbook was released with a lot of information about what it can't do just yet, which should have been important in the buying decision.
  • 07-13-11, 10:02 AM
    chi-town311
    Ok czilzer - I hope the prior post helped. Just would like to add a few things. It sounds like you have a blackberry - so bridge it. That will solve your email problems. As long as your BB phone is nearby you will have your email and calendar. Can your BB sync with your small business exchange server?? I'm guessing not. So, why you think your BB playbook would?

Like Chiefbroski said, tether your phone. Then you can use the apps you ahve on the road. You bought a wifi tablet, if you expected full-time connection to the internet then you need to get some basic tech training. No wifi tablet will be connected to the internet 100% of the time. Tethering works well, except for Appworld which is disabled.
  • 07-13-11, 10:10 AM
    czilzer
    1) There is a good remote access application. I forget what it was called but its in the app world. AND you can use an online remote desktop client.
    The web is your #1 app.

2) You can chat with other Playbook users, so you can do it. And you can go to imo.im and have a free video chat with desktop/laptop users. I've tried it an the voice works great. The video works too but you need to fiddle with it. I know its not the best solution but it is possible.

3) You can read Kobo e-books and there are other third-party ebook readers. AND just go online to read some ebooks, it is cheaper.

4) You can tether though a phone to get Bing maps to work on the road. But yes the GPS software is poor. I hope a true Google maps application like the one that works on my phone comes out :)

5) There are more than just games as new releases

Many of your other complains stem from the fact that the playbook doesn't have an email client that you can use offline and that it doesn't have apps. Maybe this tablet isn't for you just yet. It is NOT a do-nothing tablet as you like to spin it. The playbook was released with a lot of information about what it can't do just yet, which should have been important in the buying decision.
    1) free and paid VNC on PB still need a long way to go, actually free one is better than the paid one

2)Chat is not for fun is for work and contact family, should I buy PB for everybody I need to chat? IMO is bad quality video unsafe as you need to share your user name and password.

3)Should i send to the trash all my bibliography and references I have with Kindle? Or should I travel with a Kindle, an Ipod a laptop and the PB.

4) At least in this one we agree, and there are applications even for BB phones with local maps compatible with Map Source

5) Yes there are more release, up to now with no much relevance.

Anyway I am patient and will keep searching for updates and looking for new applications. But it is slow, very slow...
  • 07-13-11, 10:17 AM
    czilzer
    Ok czilzer - I hope the prior post helped. Just would like to add a few things. It sounds like you have a blackberry - so bridge it. That will solve your email problems. As long as your BB phone is nearby you will have your email and calendar. Can your BB sync with your small business exchange server?? I'm guessing not. So, why you think your BB playbook would?

Like Chiefbroski said, tether your phone. Then you can use the apps you ahve on the road. You bought a wifi tablet, if you expected full-time connection to the internet then you need to get some basic tech training. No wifi tablet will be connected to the internet 100% of the time. Tethering works well, except for Appworld which is disabled.
    On planes wifi or Bluetooth? local and international flights? Bridge works good but is not the answer. Offline mail and calendar are a must for anyone on the road. Yo know the Tethering costs in Europe while roaming no mater the operator or the service plan?

Again, I like the PB but things are moving slow, very slow...
  • 07-13-11, 10:33 AM
    chi-town311
    I don't get it, you are worried about using it on a plane? As far as I know, no tablet will get a 3G signal on a plane - as it would be illegal. You can connect via wifi if you pay the charge and the plane is equipped with inflight wifi.

That is a good point about bluetooth on a plane. I'm really not too sure about it, but I guess you can't bridge on the plane (at least legally). That sucks.

Offline mail and caledar will be a great addition, don't get me wrong. But if the only case where it is an issue in on a plane, then I think you might be com"plane"ing a bit too much :)

Tethering in Europe would cost a lot, but I don't get how that is different than any other tablet. If you took a 3G ipad to europe and tried to connect I'm sure they would kill you on charges too. Maybe I'm wrong on that. If you have a GSM phone, try to get a local SIM Card and see if you can tether with a local plan. That would probably keep the costs down.
  • 07-13-11, 10:35 AM
    joshua_sx1
    again, I like the PB but things are moving slow, very slow...
    I agree... I guess, when this playbook thing becomes totally failure, it is because of two things... the first one is, RIM failed to listen to their customers... second is, their present customers failed to address the real problem to them...
  • 07-13-11, 10:42 AM
    falconeight
    So what we are saying is that people did not do their research. I say if they did and realized that the ipad is the better machine, and rim would not of sold any playbooks.
  • 07-13-11, 10:52 AM
    czilzer

Tethering in Europe would cost a lot, but I don't get how that is different than any other tablet. If you took a 3G ipad to europe and tried to connect I'm sure they would kill you on charges too. Maybe I'm wrong on that. If you have a GSM phone, try to get a local SIM Card and see if you can tether with a local plan. That would probably keep the costs down.
    I live in Europe and have European services, phone and SMS roaming is cheap but they kill you with data roaming. WiFi is available at reasonable price in Germany but in the rest of Europe public WIFI is expensive unless with the service in the country you live.

In some countries like UK you pay VAT for the purchases in Application World up to 20%!!

But I will continue to wait....