I was thinking about the great video camera the PB has and had a thought about a camera application.
    I know this is way out there, but can any developers tell me if this is possible or not.

The basic idea is that the PB has an accelerometer and a gyro and I have seen a level apply which cancelled the level of a surface. Is it possible to make a video camera app which can basically behave as an image stabiliser? What I would want it to do is that once I set a zero level then the PlayBook keeps the image centred that way no matter at what angle the PB is tilted. Obviously the tilting only in one plane,much like driving in NFS.

This (absurd?) thought came to me as I'm planning a trip into the upper reaches of the himalayas and thought how cool it would be if I could mount the PB on the dash and have the PB record the dangerous road there and the gorgeous views while driving there. But since there is hardly a motorable road there, the car would be driven at low speeds and would be a lot of body roll. That's when this struck me if the PB could compensate for the roll of the car.
    I understand it might not be possible to react at high speeds but it can respond at slow speeds judging by the way it responds to the NFS game?

Is this possible at all? And if some devs would take up the challenge? I'm sure this app would sell like crazy even at the $50 mark. If someone does do this, how about keeping 10% of the proceeds for me for the idea .
    04-21-12 07:28 AM
    Good idea. Video cameras have been doing this for decades, and there are various apps on other platforms that do this too, so it's not exactly a new invention. It's even mentioned in the Wikipedia Accelerometer entry. But it would be nice to have such an app on the PlayBook.

Apple have recently tried to file a patent to claim this technique as their invention, but as there are numerous examples of art priori it's unlikely to be granted. But with the USPTO you never know... Here is the Apple patent claim: Patent US20110234825 - ACCELEROMETER / GYRO-FACILITATED VIDEO STABILIZATION - Google Patents
    04-21-12 08:50 AM
    Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how hard it would be for a developer to create such an app. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible though, it's just a question of how hard it would be. I know from games like TunnelTilt that the accelerometer/gyroscope is very responsive, so I don't think there'll be an issue hardware wise. Although I would say $50 would be pushing it as a price. Maybe $5.
    04-21-12 09:44 AM
    Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how hard it would be for a developer to create such an app. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible though, it's just a question of how hard it would be. I know from games like TunnelTilt that the accelerometer/gyroscope is very responsive, so I don't think there'll be an issue hardware wise. Although I would say $50 would be pushing it as a price. Maybe $5.
    Trust me where I'm going this summer I would pay $100 for this. Just hope some devcan tell me that this is possible. If I was ten years younger I would try this myself. But age catches up and I would rather record than develop.
    04-21-12 04:44 PM
    Well if I could code, I'd make this just for you to get the $100 Sadly, I cannot code to the standard that would be necessary to even think about such a project. Hopefully someone else will step in.
    04-21-12 05:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD