04-07-12 04:39 AM
49 12
tools
    BuzzStarField,

I've been working hard for 6 months on my apps, and I'm proud of them. You should be proud of yours. Everyone who has spent time on apps that do actual useful things should be proud of their apps. Even if I don't find them useful personally, I will totally back that up. I get ridiculously frustrated, though, when I find an app, such as "Musicplayer", which has a description that reads "A musicplayer". I actually downloaded this app, just to see what it might actually be (maybe a music player?), only to have it instantly crash, dumping me to the Android Player recently-run menu.

I spend hours of my non-work time working on enhancements and bug fixes, and supporting users that email me, and even just editing my screenshots and app descriptions. I expect that other software developers also take it seriously, but the response to this misguided campaign seems to indicate otherwise.

And to relate this to the topic at hand, just because there's a huge number of apps available, doesn't mean that it's quite good. The App World app itself still sucks (an update is promised for the next OS update, that will hopefully fix our complaints about it), though not as bad as Google's, and the list of available things does not get better just by sheer volume, no matter what RIM tells us about "app tonnage".

Maybe I'd be a happier person if I just lowered my expectations. :|
    03-22-12 03:11 AM
    I've started finding some useful niche apps, which is really the sign of a platform being viable. I was visiting with a friend for some drinks (whisky, gin, blackberry wine) and showed him the MixMentor HD app, which has cocktail recipies, food recipies and drinking games. That's not something I'll be able to do every day, but having an app for that particular occasion is always nice.
    03-22-12 03:24 AM
    Some great additions to the list:

Diversion
    Gem Spinner II
    Smiles HD
    Majesty
    Earth and Legend
    Polar Slide
    Earth and Legend needs to be reported for gaming the rating system, but I'm unsure how to do that. They give in game credits to people who rate it 5 stars.
    03-22-12 03:27 AM
    If it wasn't the app count, it would be something else.

It's probably Android owning journalists that dump on App World, and Apple owning journalists that dump on both Android and App World.
    More if you criticise something with commercial success you get lambasted. You see that all the time when people are unimpressed with the iPhone 4S. Apple has a record quarter (largely due to a high volume of 3GS sales) and everyone who legitimately criticised the 4S is accused of being all wrong. So they take the safe route of backing the winner.
    03-22-12 03:34 AM
    I refuse to take sides on this subject because I don't consider myself married to any one particular platform. I'm also not a big fan of brand loyalty in today's market of widely unreliable vendors.

But I will say this much. Of all 3 players, this one has the worst app store and 1 month later I'm getting better android apps via sideloading than I am from android player apps on appworld. For this, I am given an emulator that suffers some performance issues. I can't shake the feeling that the inclusion of the android player makes my PB feel kind of contaminated now in the sense that I don't feel like I own a tablet with a unique identity anymore.

To be quite honest, I could have remained quite satisfied with the android player never happening. Now I feel somewhat frustrated because none of the apps I would have preferred to see from android have come.
    Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    03-22-12 05:26 AM
    If you want a stark illustration of how effective the android player is at getting popular android apps onto the official Appworld so far, you should visit good ereader's website. Their Android apps for Playbook section lists most of the apps that are quite popular on android devices.

They are almost all only available by sideloading. None of those developers chose to submit to Appworld.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    03-22-12 05:40 AM
    I wonder if that's due to the fact that they tested the apps in the Android player and weren't happy with the performance. I know if I were a dev of a popular app I wouldn't want the reputation damaged by it performing poorly on the PB. If that's the case, we can hope that RIM optimises the player (possibly with code from ICS to make better use of the OMAP4) so that the experience is largely seamless.
    03-22-12 07:18 AM
    I wonder if that's due to the fact that they tested the apps in the Android player and weren't happy with the performance. I know if I were a dev of a popular app I wouldn't want the reputation damaged by it performing poorly on the PB. If that's the case, we can hope that RIM optimises the player (possibly with code from ICS to make better use of the OMAP4) so that the experience is largely seamless.
    I'm totally speculating here, but just based on a few posts I've read from forum members who said they emailed devs and received responses like "not interested at this time" I tend to think that's basically the main reason.
    03-22-12 07:22 AM
    I spend hours of my non-work time working on enhancements and bug fixes, and supporting users that email me, and even just editing my screenshots and app descriptions. I expect that other software developers also take it seriously, but the response to this misguided campaign seems to indicate otherwise.

And to relate this to the topic at hand, just because there's a huge number of apps available, doesn't mean that it's quite good. The App World app itself still sucks (an update is promised for the next OS update, that will hopefully fix our complaints about it), though not as bad as Google's, and the list of available things does not get better just by sheer volume, no matter what RIM tells us about "app tonnage".

Maybe I'd be a happier person if I just lowered my expectations. :|
    Believe me, I understand what you are saying. I could list dozens of apps that I consider to be signs that developers don't care. But in the end it would only be those developers that don't care. I am much happier now that I don't try to fix things that are beyond my control.

I think that RIM is playing a numbers game with the free PlayBook offers. They calculate that if only a small percentage of "caring" developers are attracted to the platform then they have succeeded. If RIM applied arbitrarily strict rules to which apps qualify, many brand new developers would miss the opportunity to help grow App World over time. The key words here are "over time".

I mean, let's face it - there are two reasons why an app may not be up to par. It is either because the developer doesn't care or because the developer does not yet have the required skills. I defy anyone to be able to discern between these two types based on version one of a single app. That's why I think that it's important to bite your tongue when participating in a forum like this one.

I sometimes wish that I could give reviews to consumers who leave reviews for my app. When I get a rotten review for my app, it is sometimes impossible to tell if the reviewer is being ignorant due to lack of knowledge or if the individual is just being malicious.

The next best best thing to the ability to review the reviewers is to be able to participate in this forum. Now I couldn't have fun doing this if I assumed that every consumer is a malicious troll. So when they start a thread, I try not to make assumptions about what motivated the post.

Speaking of this particular thread, I happen to think that the OP is wrong in saying that App World "is quite good now". I would say it's improving by degrees but there are literally hundreds of ways in which it could improve.

For example, wouldn't it be great if we could replace all of the amateur developers with competent and caring professionals. But we both know that this will never happen. The biggest reason that it won't ever happen is that far too many consumers are sucked into the games that the bad apples are playing. Some of these lousy developers are making a lot of money because too many consumers fall for their "clever" tricks. The offended consumers then write a nasty review (which is likely deleted because of RIM's asinine policies) and then they come here to vent. My own app sometimes suffers from collateral damage as people assume the worst about my own motives and competency.

I see my task here is mainly as an educator. If I can convince the OP that he is partially responsible for the state of App World, then I have succeeded. If my post just manages to feed the frenzied attack on developers then I have failed.
    harshalbid271 and biggulpseh like this.
    03-22-12 09:21 AM
    I just hope it's improved when I get my PlayBook back tomorrow or Saturday
    03-29-12 04:08 PM
    I just hope it's improved when I get my PlayBook back tomorrow or Saturday
    If it is true that the more things change, the more they stay the same, then you won't recognize the place.
    03-29-12 04:17 PM
    I agree that there are a lot more apps now, but I also find apps that seem so idiotic. It seems to me that many startup-programmers created any simple app just to get a free PlayBook from @BlackberryDev.
    But there is nothing wrong with that. The offer had such a tight deadline. Unless you were a seasoned PlayBook dev and had an app ready to ship, the best you could do might have been a silly app that meets the eligibility rules. But they might move on to become better devs and churn out things that blow everything away.
    kbz1960 and Thunderbuck like this.
    03-30-12 04:24 PM
    If it is true that the more things change, the more they stay the same, then you won't recognize the place.
    Well, it certainly did a whole lot of staying the same, except the torrent of new apps has slowed to a trickle.
    04-05-12 06:10 PM
    Well, it certainly did a whole lot of staying the same, except the torrent of new apps has slowed to a trickle.
    04-05-12 06:24 PM
    Any of you guys actually developers for PB? Curious to know if they have a marketing or promotions team that can spotlight games, like what Apple do for their devices.

Any one know if these people exist?
    04-05-12 10:00 PM
    It certainly is MUCH improved. The UI is better and more up do date. App selection is much better. We finally got the youversion Bible. Still waiting for netflix.
    04-06-12 01:19 AM
    Chipping in for a moment, I'm an iOS user and have been impressed with the quality of some of the iOS apps. Sure, there are many stupid ones that make farting noises but Apple did say a couple of years ago that "we don't need another farting app" and they seem to have acted to prevent more arriving on their store.

I bought an iPad 3 when it was announced for 600 - 32Gb with 4G mobile broadband. A lovely bit of kit, but too locked down for my liking, and a little cumbersome in the hand. Not fit for my purposes so I sent it back for a refund. I like the PlayBook form factor much better, and the price is now pretty outstanding (in my case, a 64GB wifi model for 249). So I figured that even if the AppWorld wasn't perfect, it didn't matter because I'd spent so little money on what is rally a nice piece of hardware.

BUT... I see much that is dreadful in AppWorld, plus lots of bugs in OS2.0, and many app crashes (especially Android apps). Just not good enough. No wonder RIM is effectively fireselling these things. That recent announcement about them shifting their focus away from consumer markets to businesses is disturbing, too.

Of course, I am supportive of RIM (well I bought one of their tablets didn't I? I'm a stakeholder now...) and I wish them well with their AppStore but they seem to have got off on a very bad footing. Recall also that they are a commercial outfit, not a charity, and don't deserve that many more chances. My prediction is that they will sink with very little trace and we will be left with unsupported devices that cannot be used for other purposes due to the locked down boot loader. I do wish it does not come to that, but we all saw what happened to the HP TouchPad.
    Last edited by Jon_BB; 04-06-12 at 07:16 AM.
    04-06-12 07:12 AM
    It is a new OS and the devs don't have the real tools they need yet. That will be changing soon but doesn't mean they will come either.
    04-06-12 07:31 AM
    It is a new OS and the devs don't have the real tools they need yet. That will be changing soon but doesn't mean they will come either.
    Then... I live in hope..
    04-06-12 02:59 PM
    I agree that there are a lot more apps now, but I also find apps that seem so idiotic. It seems to me that many startup-programmers created any simple app just to get a free PlayBook from @BlackberryDev.
    You say that like it's a bad thing

I'm sure that among the thousands of developers who took advantage of the free Playbook offer the were many first-timers who basically threw something together. With that kind of offer that's bound to happen.

The thing is, maybe some of those developers enjoyed the experience, gained some valuable confidence, and will feel encouraged to build more (and better) apps in the future. There were definitely Android developers who signed up on a whim who were pleasantly surprised by how well-received their products were on the Playbook.

Is that so bad?
    04-06-12 03:08 PM
    @Thunderbuck : That is a very good point. Let's hope, eh?
    04-07-12 03:24 AM
    Yes, getting much better. We don't need 500k apps. Quality beats quantity. Even 20 of the top apps would make a big impact.
    04-07-12 03:38 AM
    While they're some really good apps and games in there - it's NO WHERE near the quality (and quantity) of iOS and Android's app stores.

But what I would like to see first is for RIM to fix its AppWorld as a whole. It's horrible.

- Still sluggish
    - Apps are often miscategorized
    - Too many sub-categories
    - Should indicate whether an app is Android or native app (Android apps can NOT multitask on multiple windows)
    - Limited App discovery (no related apps, trending apps, etc.)
    - Doesn't say when the app was last updated; just release date.
    - The website is even worst.
    Denus and bobauckland like this.
    04-07-12 04:29 AM
    - Apps are often miscategorized
    - Too many sub-categories
    - Should indicate whether an app is Android or native app (Android apps can NOT multitask on multiple windows)
    - Limited App discovery (no related apps, trending apps, etc.)
    - Doesn't say when the app was last updated; just release date.
    Your point regarding an indication if the app is native or not is considerably important.
    And I can only agree with the other points you specify.
    04-07-12 04:39 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD