I don't know about you guys, but it seems to me that the range of apps in App World for PB seem quite good now. There seems to be quite a few different ones available for games, productivity, image manipulation, etc. It makes me think that maybe we are not "the ugly step child anymore".

Yes I know Skype and Netflix are missing but I am hopeful that BBM Video will fill in the cross-platform vide issue. I guess I can live without Netflix access from my PB.

The only thing left is for the RIM team to get the bigger brands oboard...

So far so good RIM!
    03-18-12 07:01 PM
    I still want Netlix and Skype all the other apps don't mean as much to me.
    03-18-12 07:31 PM
    Agree. I check appworld every now and then. There seem to be more quality apps showing up. Definitely good news for playbook owners. But like OP said, we are still missing a few categories of apps that needs to be filled. Like crossplatform video chat for example.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-18-12 07:37 PM
    Yes, app world has improved considerable, but for some reason I get the feeling that if it doesn't have the same name as the apps or games in the other two platforms, the media will still say the PlayBook does not have enough quality apps. It's amazing how the media won't give RIM credit where credit is do. I also wonder if it has something to do with those three apps that will remain nameless....hummmmmm
    joelled likes this.
    03-18-12 08:02 PM
    I agree that there are a lot more apps now, but I also find apps that seem so idiotic. It seems to me that many startup-programmers created any simple app just to get a free PlayBook from @BlackberryDev.
    joski likes this.
    03-18-12 08:48 PM
    There is definitely a lot of junk but that's no different to the Android and iOs app stores. The important thing is that there are quality apps...
    noelito4three likes this.
    03-18-12 08:57 PM
    Yeah def a lot of apps available now cannot complain about the good selection. With that being said there is still 2 key apps missing. These 2 apps will shut media down and will make more users happy.
    03-18-12 09:16 PM
    The more total apps App World has, the more crappy apps you will see as well. Same as any other platform. I will say it has exploded with a lot of choice. Some good, quality apps are starting to appear.

Still needs some of the main apps that other platforms enjoy. We're getting there. Slowly.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-18-12 09:16 PM
    I agree... Splashtop changed everything for me with remote access to my Mac. Now, a Hulu application and kindle will complete the circle... I am using kindle side loaded right now, but I would give anything for a native kindle app...

Sent from my Tapatalk HD
    03-18-12 09:19 PM
    And, apps are downloading at incredible speed. Even 500mb apps are downloaded faster than ever before. And, OS2 downloaded quickly too! Not perfect, but best I have ever seen.
    03-18-12 11:08 PM
    I agree that there are a lot more apps now, but I also find apps that seem so idiotic. It seems to me that many startup-programmers created any simple app just to get a free PlayBook from @BlackberryDev.
    Yeah that is true.. but either way its still thousands more PB owners that will buy more apps and maybe down the road they will create better apps.
    03-18-12 11:11 PM
    Yup I noticed the quality of the apps has started to creep up a little. Throw in a few sideloaded Android apps and all of a sudden you get a fairly decent number of them on your PlayBook. Like others have said, it's still missing a few key apps from key developers...but hopefully with time, those will come as well.
    03-18-12 11:47 PM
    Unfortunately, the vast majority of the apps that have been showing up lately are true junk -- just things people sent in to get free tablets. Very few functions if any, a lot of them don't even do what they are supposed to. About the only app that I've been happy with so far, other than my own, is GeeReader. Do not confuse quality for quantity And the Android Player is just .. well.. terrible. Unless you don't mind everything running much slower, and crashing a lot more. Then again, that's what happens in regular Android, too.

I'll take suggestions for things to check out?
    03-18-12 11:49 PM
    Unfortunately, the vast majority of the apps that have been showing up lately are true junk -- just things people sent in to get free tablets. Very few functions if any, a lot of them don't even do what they are supposed to. About the only app that I've been happy with so far, other than my own, is GeeReader. Do not confuse quality for quantity And the Android Player is just .. well.. terrible. Unless you don't mind everything running much slower, and crashing a lot more. Then again, that's what happens in regular Android, too.

I'll take suggestions for things to check out?
    GeeReader is a AIR app that has been around for quite a while. It could be said that my own app was just a thing I sent in to get a free tablet. I am a Java programmer and I would not be here were it not for RIM's offer. It being my first AIR app, I would be the first to admit that my initial version was nothing to write home about.

At launch a year ago, more than a few CBers were complaining that AIR apps were all laggy and unresponsive and that the vast majority of them were not worth the space that they occupied in PB's file system. They said that RIM had better fix things or they would be out of business in no time flat. In my humble opinion, such comments are less than helpful - especially when they come from developers. You know what they say about people whio live in glass houses...

Fast forward to now and we have another RIM offer and another RIM runtime platform. There is no doubt that the Android Player has its share of performance issues. In addition, I know from experience that most of the new developers who submitted an app to App World did so without having the luxury of owning a PB to test it on.

Under the circumstances, I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that many of the new Android-based apps will get updated soon and that RIM is actively working to fix the Player.
    peter9477 and spike12 like this.
    03-19-12 07:04 AM
    I get the feeling that if it doesn't have the same name as the apps or games in the other two platforms, the media will still say the PlayBook does not have enough quality apps.
    If it wasn't the app count, it would be something else.

It's probably Android owning journalists that dump on App World, and Apple owning journalists that dump on both Android and App World.
    Spencerdl and BuzzStarField like this.
    03-19-12 07:42 AM
    under the circumstances, i'm going to stick my neck out and predict that many of the new android-based apps will get updated soon and that rim is actively working to fix the player.
    amen........
    03-19-12 08:36 AM
    GeeReader is a AIR app that has been around for quite a while. It could be said that my own app was just a thing I sent in to get a free tablet. I am a Java programmer and I would not be here were it not for RIM's offer. It being my first AIR app, I would be the first to admit that my initial version was nothing to write home about.

At launch a year ago, more than a few CBers were complaining that AIR apps were all laggy and unresponsive and that the vast majority of them were not worth the space that they occupied in PB's file system. They said that RIM had better fix things or they would be out of business in no time flat. In my humble opinion, such comments are less than helpful - especially when they come from developers. You know what they say about people whio live in glass houses...

Fast forward to now and we have another RIM offer and another RIM runtime platform. There is no doubt that the Android Player has its share of performance issues. In addition, I know from experience that most of the new developers who submitted an app to App World did so without having the luxury of owning a PB to test it on.

Under the circumstances, I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that many of the new Android-based apps will get updated soon and that RIM is actively working to fix the Player.
    While I would like to say that that is to at least some degree true, it looks like much of what came over weren't actually "real" applications. Not that I'm wanting to judge what makes a "real" app, but there really should be a line drawn as to general fitness for a purpose - Apple does it, and no one else does, and that's why the Apple store isn't completely flooded with useless stuff.

Kudos to developers who already had apps built on other platforms and brought them over. Kudos to developers who decided to build brand new apps.

Forgive me while I show a lack of appreciation, however, for two dozen "TODO list" apps that are little more than text entry boxes, a half dozen chess-clocks that don't actually work like chess clocks, the app that lets you "touch the tablet anywhere to count upwards. only supports one counter", and other various items that i'd be surprised anyone, anywhere finds useful for anything. (The 25 newest apps list at the moment, however, is surprisingly quite full of higher quality stuff at the moment, though)

While the emulator is a terrible gauge of performance (trust me, the moment I got my PB, I got my apps on it and immediately went to work on the problems that I found, most of which were performance issues .. and I'm still working on them) it does at least tell you if your app functions.

SO, anyway, rather than focus on my bad attitude towards people who merely put in the minimum amount of effort required to get a free tablet, and are otherwise not going to hang around ...

What are the other good apps out there, that aren't on the "Top Rated" section?
    03-19-12 11:05 AM
    ^^^^ apple iTunes doesn't have hundreds the of fart apps or my screen has a mouth that moves when I talk or look I'm drinking beer from my phone?
    03-19-12 11:11 AM
    I like the increase of apps, but volume does not mean much...most of the apps are in the dumb- catagory and don't add anything to the useability of the device....I can live with the constant quirks of RIM's software, but I cannot live with limited connectivity to the things I had with iphone and ipad...I keep this curve/playbook combo because it does something apple can't...give my tablet access to the internet via tethering....as said before, without things like netflix, skype and other key apps, RIM is still pissing with the puppies when it should be running with the dogs
    03-19-12 11:21 AM
    angry birds
    cut the rope
    plants vs zombies
    dead space
    asphalt 6
    need for speed
    tetris
    fruits and ninja
    spiderman
    madden 12
    samurai 2 vengance
    air attack
    modern combat 2
    monopoly
    uno
    game of life
    NOVA 2
    frogatto
    traffic mania
    machinarium
    walking dead
    reckless getaway
    sim city
    bejewled 2
    tank hero
    lets golf 2
    back breaker 2 vengance
    sling golf
    star front: collision
    eternal legacy
    super crossfire
    downhill bowling
    ---------------
    yea, i'd say it's quite good now.
    lets keep the good ones comming ( NBA jam, tiger woods, NHL, etc... )
    Last edited by drummer_god; 03-19-12 at 12:01 PM.
    03-19-12 11:58 AM
    While I would like to say that that is to at least some degree true, it looks like much of what came over weren't actually "real" applications. Not that I'm wanting to judge what makes a "real" app, but there really should be a line drawn as to general fitness for a purpose - Apple does it, and no one else does, and that's why the Apple store isn't completely flooded with useless stuff.

Kudos to developers who already had apps built on other platforms and brought them over. Kudos to developers who decided to build brand new apps.

Forgive me while I show a lack of appreciation, however, for two dozen "TODO list" apps that are little more than text entry boxes, a half dozen chess-clocks that don't actually work like chess clocks, the app that lets you "touch the tablet anywhere to count upwards. only supports one counter", and other various items that i'd be surprised anyone, anywhere finds useful for anything. (The 25 newest apps list at the moment, however, is surprisingly quite full of higher quality stuff at the moment, though)

While the emulator is a terrible gauge of performance (trust me, the moment I got my PB, I got my apps on it and immediately went to work on the problems that I found, most of which were performance issues .. and I'm still working on them) it does at least tell you if your app functions.

SO, anyway, rather than focus on my bad attitude towards people who merely put in the minimum amount of effort required to get a free tablet, and are otherwise not going to hang around ...

What are the other good apps out there, that aren't on the "Top Rated" section?
    What I said is that your rants about RIM's stupidity in offering free PlayBooks are not helpful. There are lots of threads covering the topic of RIM's epic failures. As a developer you are responsible for promoting your own app. How you do it is up to you. But I would humbly suggest that slagging other developers, in sweeping statements about what motivates them, is not particularly helpful. There, I said it again.

As for request for recommendations for apps that might meet your expectations and equal your own offering, I am not going to play that game. I am not even going to recommend my own app because it has only just achieved ranking in the top 25. It is probably there for just a fleeting moment after which it is likely to be relegated to the lower echelons once again.

Will it bother me if you are not impressed? Not at all. It has taken me the better part of a year to get to where I am. It was hard work that did not involve telling other developers how to run their businesses or telling the world how much better I am than they are. Nor did it involve ranting about RIM's attempts to attract new developers to the platform. That kind of stuff is just not helpful.
    03-19-12 12:09 PM
    Some great additions to the list:

Diversion
    Gem Spinner II
    Smiles HD
    Majesty
    Earth and Legend
    Polar Slide
    03-19-12 12:13 PM
    if you think about the average app, then remember that half of all apps are worse than that. no matter what platform your on.

To be honest App world annoys me, i still have hardly any apps, and i cant find any new ones, simply because the playbook does everything i need it to, there are no needs that require an app to fill it, although saying that i recently replaced my note app with a new one called corkboard which is pretty cool.
    03-19-12 12:17 PM
    Lots of new games, and they're of good quality too, which is important, but where the the useful apps?

Geereader is great, so is "What's Up", but Evernote is broken, there's no native alternative PDF reader, and App World itself as an application is now severely disfunctional. The apps ratings are untrustworthy, descriptions nearly useless at times, and there's a lot of spam, stuff that doesn't even deserve to be called apps.

There needs to be a clear distinction made btwn Android apps vs Native Playbook apps. I don't want to wait 5 minutes for a app to initialize for something that should take seconds. I want my apps to be instant-on, that's why I pick up the Tablet instead of the laptop.
    Last edited by OttawaGabe; 03-19-12 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Typo
    patpatiar and Yaceka like this.
    03-19-12 01:25 PM
    there is tons of new awesome apps waiting for you

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ient-released/

as for app world there are many good new apps as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    03-21-12 04:31 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD