Howdy,

Like many us we are waiting for some "good" well made applications
    for our PlayBooks.

I have been checking app world multiple times a day and all I see are small
    applications, games and some very badly done application being added.

We need to wake RIM up and get them to set aside the silly applications
    and start approving apps we can actually use. Apps that will make the
    PlayBook more useful and perhaps more respected in the tablet world.

Applications like AiFlex Email Client and VNC.

They should prioritize the applications in the approval queue and get to the
    ones that actually do something and work.

I have emailed RIM several times, but I feel it is time to "Wake RIM Up" from
    what seems to be an extended slumber.

Yes, I am sure they are busy, but busy doing the wrong thing at the wrong time.

I do not need another air hockey game, another clock, another card game.

So send RIM an email and ask them politely to "Wake Up" and start delivering
    the good stuff! (key word is politely)

If I could find a phone number for RIM support I would do that too as emails
    tend to be less affective then talking to people over the phone.

If you don't like this idea, move along, nothing we need to hear from you about. Trolls, stay under your rock on this please.

Send an nice but firm email to : [email protected]

Thanks,

Tim
    04-28-11 09:23 AM
    We need to wake RIM up and get them to set aside the silly applications
    and start approving apps we can actually use. Apps that will make the
    PlayBook more useful and perhaps more respected in the tablet world.

They should prioritize the applications in the approval queue and get to the
    ones that actually do something and work.
    while i can see your point, i have to strongly disagree, surely applications should be approved in the order they are submitted, otherwise RIM would then be working to some developers aid and against others. this would not go down well. the current `first come first served` rule is the ONLY fair way to process submissions.

like i said, your idea does make sense, but telling RIM to be biased to certain developers would totally compromise their integrity and would only act negatively on their dev community. plus who`s gonna be judging `usefullness` of an app?
    04-28-11 09:41 AM
    BBThemes said " should be approved in the order they are submitted, otherwise RIM would then be working to some developers aid and against others. this would not go down well"

From a programmers point of view yes, from a customers point of view no.

They need to think of the customer and what their needs are. Perhaps they should have
    a triage of sorts. A group that takes them in the order they are submitted and a group
    that insures a balance of applications being presented and works on the areas of App World that have none or just a few useful applications.

It takes hours to produce a small crappy applications so those were probably submitted and approved first. But useful and complicated applications take longer to build. Thus they tend to be at the end of the line.

Having them balance the applications for App World, like I suggest, would be fair to all.

Ps, I am not suggesting you produce crappy applications.

Tim
    04-28-11 09:58 AM
    Maybe i can give you another view ;-)

The fact appworld is atleast working for you is super and you are able to get some apps on it

For many early adopters like myself outside of the US and CA appworld is just like on the phones still not working and we are stuck for the moment with the playbook as it is and cant do much more then as it is with it

Regards
    04-28-11 09:59 AM
    Maybe i can give you another view ;-)

The fact appworld is atleast working for you is super and you are able to get some apps on it

For many early adopters like myself outside of the US and CA appworld is just like on the phones still not working and we are stuck for the moment with the playbook as it is and cant do much more then as it is with it

Regards
    Your not missing a whole lot right now unless you like games etc.

Tim
    04-28-11 10:19 AM
    It would not surprise me if RIM is taking their time on approving apps like aMail so they can get their email app out first. Just a thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-11 10:22 AM
    RIM could take a quality over quantity approach.

Simply state when questioned about lack of apps,
    that they don't want 10's of thousands of low quality apps,
    rather they have a higher bar for approval?
    04-28-11 10:28 AM
    BBThemes said " should be approved in the order they are submitted, otherwise RIM would then be working to some developers aid and against others. this would not go down well"

From a programmers point of view yes, from a customers point of view no.

They need to think of the customer and what their needs are. Perhaps they should have
    a triage of sorts. A group that takes them in the order they are submitted and a group
    that insures a balance of applications being presented and works on the areas of App World that have none or just a few useful applications.

It takes hours to produce a small crappy applications so those were probably submitted and approved first. But useful and complicated applications take longer to build. Thus they tend to be at the end of the line.

Having them balance the applications for App World, like I suggest, would be fair to all.

Ps, I am not suggesting you produce crappy applications.

Tim
    ok, so firstly dont worry, never took it as a suggestion against myself lol

heres the problem with your reasoning, it wouldnt be in the consumers interests, if RIM were t implement such a policy, it would soon be noted as devs talk to each other, this would lead to said policy becoming `public knowledge` which in turn would potentially lead to a few other things, a) the blogs/media picking up on it and making a big negative thing out of it b) devs thinking `well i`ll do android/ios first then as i know thats at least fair` or even worse c) devs thinking `im not in this approved group, so i wont bother making a pb/bb app`.

the net result of any of these (and it would be reasonable to assume at least 2 of these 3 things would happen together) would be devs leaving the bb platform, which woould not only leave the reputation of RIM/Appworld/their dev process severly tarnished but would also equate to the reality of less apps as those devs have left.

again i do kinda see your point, but its a very very slippery slope to start down, that especially with the way the media is currently it wouldnt ever work in favour of whichever app company did this. again they also wouldnt be able to quantify `good` apps as i may want games where you may want a vnc client (purely an example) but either way there would be no way a company could justify such a decision in the long term and their developer base would react accordingly.
    04-28-11 10:33 AM
    Don't worry! Good stuff is on the way...

What people tend to not realize or often forget at times, is that the NDK is in the hands of select RIM partners in an alpha state...certain exclusive devs are developing apps with the Native Development Kit now!

The NDK will be released this summer in beta to Blackberry Dev community...however it is currently in the hands of dev's in an alpha state...so expect some cool stuff coming very soon

An example of this would be the aMail app...not sure if it was designed through the limited availability of the NDK...however it should satisfy !
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 04-28-11 at 10:49 AM.
    04-28-11 10:34 AM
    Without the Native SDK out there in developers hands for some time the apps will be not as great IMO. The best apps are EA and RIM ones because they had this.
    04-28-11 10:37 AM
    the bottom line is we wont see any "super quailty apps" untiol the native SDK is out in summer and when we can get PIM that can intergate with app and playbook. So for now be patient thats the burdon that comes with being an early adapter.... till then play doodleblast and bbthemes game paper air plane> both games are awesome !
    04-28-11 10:39 AM
    Your not missing a whole lot right now unless you like games etc.

Tim
    Need for speed is the best free game right now. Tetris takes thrid place. Both which come pre-installed on our PB so you guys have that covered for now.

04-28-11 10:40 AM
    They're pretty serious about trying to get more apps out there. Sounds like things are being approved very quickly in App World.

RIM has also contracted with some app companies to start churning things out:
    RIM taps Polar Mobile for ‘at least’ 100 PlayBook apps - The Globe and Mail

Add to that the acquisition of TAT, and we should be seeing some pretty cool stuff roll out.

And as was mentioned earlier, once the native NDK is in widespread circulation, this will pick up. Still, the size of App World has pretty much doubled in the past couple of weeks.
    04-28-11 10:46 AM
    Remember, folks only have 14-30 days (for most) before they can no longer return their PlayBooks. I will not be one of them.

That being said, applications make the tablet PC. With RIM starting their ad campaign
    it seems they are asking for some more folks to be frustrated and return the things.

There is an answer here somewhere but in the end, the Playbook needs to be more useful and the applications are the key to this.

I just suggest that we let RIM know we need good quality applications now, not 30 days, not 60 days, not 90 days down the road. They are the ones that brought it out "half baked" and need to put the good things ahead of the bad and those we already have.

This may upset some programmers, but then they need to make applications we need/work and do not have three or four of already.

If RIM is indeed holding back applications until RIMs app is ready, then the developers
    need to raise some heck with them.

Tim
    04-28-11 10:52 AM
    while i can see your point, i have to strongly disagree, surely applications should be approved in the order they are submitted, otherwise RIM would then be working to some developers aid and against others. this would not go down well. the current `first come first served` rule is the ONLY fair way to process submissions.

like i said, your idea does make sense, but telling RIM to be biased to certain developers would totally compromise their integrity and would only act negatively on their dev community. plus who`s gonna be judging `usefullness` of an app?
    I agree on your disagreement. First in first out is how it should be. There is no way to judge usefulness or quality of an app before they test it. So if anything would slow down the process because they would have to evaluate the app first to deem is warranted as being a priority.

And please don't email appworld support about this as the OP suggests. They have enough emails going to them, emailing them is just going to slow things down and waste their time.
    BBThemes and simsim like this.
    04-28-11 10:57 AM
    I just suggest that we let RIM know we need good quality applications now, not 30 days, not 60 days, not 90 days down the road. They are the ones that brought it out "half baked" and need to put the good things ahead of the bad and those we already have.
    Bear in mind that RIM doesn't necessarily have the resources to pump out Apps. How many apps in Apple's App Store are written by Apple? How many actual pieces of software for the PC are written by Microsoft? etc.
    Granted, the app-writers are complaining that they are still lacking in the tools department (native sdk for example).

Out of curiosity, how many iPad apps existed on April 10th, 2010? How many of those were "useful", as you put it? Just playing devil's advocate... not trying to downplay the serious concerns that a shortage of apps raises.
    04-28-11 11:00 AM

This may upset some programmers, but then they need to make applications we need/work and do not have three or four of already.

If RIM is indeed holding back applications until RIMs app is ready, then the developers
    need to raise some heck with them.

Tim
    totally agree with shao, emailing them is gonna be detrimental not helpful. also what if the dev has been making the app for say the last 2 weeks and someone else comes out with the same style? should they ditch their last 2 weeks of work? that seems an insane suggestion tbh.

even more insane though is the suggestion that RIM is holding back apps which will not only add to the functionality of the device but will also make them additional revenue.
    04-28-11 11:05 AM
    Shao128 said " And please don't email appworld support about this as the OP suggests. They have enough emails going to them, emailing them is just going to slow things down and waste their time."

Having customers politely give a company suggestions is something we all should do and
    not worry about slowing down the processes. Feedback is a must. If customer feed back
    is considered a "waste of time" then so be it, but you will have to live with it. It disrespects the customer and shows a true lack of interest a company or dev has for the customer.

I do not think it would slow anything down. You can tell if an application is something they currently have a bunch of or none of. You don't have to run the program to tell what it supposed to do. You run and test it to see if it does it well or not.

Triage works in all hospitals, companies and critical time sensitive areas. It will work here, if RIM wants it too.

Like I said, if you like the idea go for it, if you don't, you do not have to do it.

Tim
    04-28-11 11:09 AM
    Having customers politely give a company suggestions is something we all should do and
    not worry about slowing down the processes. Feedback is a must. If customer feed back
    is considered a "waste of time" then so be it, but you will have to live with it. It disrespects the customer and shows a true lack of interest a company or dev has for the customer.

I do not think it would slow anything down. You can tell if an application is something they currently have a bunch of or none of. You don't have to run the program to tell what it supposed to do. You run and test it to see if it does it well or not.
    I agree about providing feedback, but what you are suggesting is not going to accomplish anything except clutter their inbox. The idea of prioritizing apps is a horrible idea in my opinion. What is important to one person may not be important to another. Just because you want an email client you want them to approve it faster. I for one could care less about an email client. So who decides what is priority and what isn't?

And yes they'd have to run the application. Just because the application says "super duper email client" doesn't mean its going to work or even do what is says. So then they have to test it and then that just slows down approving apps that came before it.
    04-28-11 11:24 AM
    Triage

"the assigning of priority order to projects on the basis of where funds and other resources can be best used, are most needed, or are most likely to achieve success."

Doesn't mean to ignore the rest..

Tim
    04-28-11 11:35 AM
    I agree about providing feedback, but what you are suggesting is not going to accomplish anything except clutter their inbox.
    Sorry, but the same reasoning can and is used for not contacting your
    local Representatives in Government and you see where that has got us.

Again, I respect your opinion, it is a right in this country...Freedom of speech.

It is up to you or the company to decide if you wish to listen or not.

Tim
    04-28-11 11:38 AM
    again shao is totally right, lets say they took the opinion of prioritizing the email app (purely an example) and that app failed whatever tests its subject to (again totally an example and not suggesting any app would) then thewy have wasted their time when they could have been approving apps that work or whatever.

to me your suggestion will kill the developer ecosystem, and would potentially kill the entire brand if something like that happened, it baffles me how you cant see it could be extremely volatile for any company to even consider this.

also if they are reading your email, they arent approving apps, so yes emailing them would have an effect on app approval times, just not positive.

look at it this way, ask any dev if they`d like prioritiy over another, and they`ll all say yes (hey, im honest at least). now ask any dev if they`d like another dev having priority over them and they`ll all say no. would you risk appeasing one or two devs when you know how the thousands of others will feel?
    04-28-11 11:58 AM
    Sorry, but the same reasoning can and is used for not contacting your
    local Representatives in Government and you see where that has got us.

Again, I respect your opinion, it is a right in this country...Freedom of speech.

It is up to you or the company to decide if you wish to listen or not.
    Sure by all means contact them, but dont be distruptive and try and have people email the support email. That is just going to slow things down for people needing support and will most likely be ignored in that email address anyways since it is the wrong place to be sending it to.

If you have a suggestion send it to: [email protected]
    04-28-11 11:59 AM

GREAT....
    So RIM hypothetically has to test hundreds of fart apps before getting to personaly productivity, media, etc. Apps.

Wonderful. Talk about log jam.

04-28-11 01:06 PM
    GREAT....
    So RIM hypothetically has to test hundreds of fart apps before getting to personaly productivity, media, etc. Apps.

Wonderful. Talk about log jam.

yes, its the only FAIR way to do things. kinda like when your waiting in line for summat, the person in front may not be as clever, smart or whatever than what you are, but its called a que for a reason.

also as earlier mentioned, are you saying RIM should ignore the (using your example) submission for the fart app and look at the (potentially) other non-functioning/ term breaking app. until the app is tested it could be a total dud (same for every app) so saying `lets judge the book by its cover and give that preference` is a totally ridiculous suggestion.

IF rim was to take this way of doing things, you`d see less apps and a potential dessertion of devs. if thats what your really after then of course push this poor agenda
    04-28-11 04:43 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD