What would you say to a better App World experience?

At some point, I think RIM should give apps a chance of three months to either make it or break it. It could be done with some kind of keep or kick button.

The reason for this is that developers would be forced to listen to users for feedback that would add value to apps and give the user a better experience.

This would add to the quality as well as there would be less redundancy. No body on the planet has the time to try out 300,000 apps. I trust that the Survival of the Fittest would insure one of the best quality experiences for playbook owners and attract more serious attention from developers as their quality made apps will not be lost in a sea of fart apps.

What do you think?
    05-17-11 01:24 AM
    Part of me likes the idea but in the long run I prefer a free market based simply on the rating system and customer reviews.
    05-17-11 01:28 AM
    I like it!!! Let's face it, there is a lot of crap on App World right now.
    05-17-11 01:28 AM
    I like the idea. It woul make for a much better experience having less crap to sort through.
    05-17-11 01:31 AM
    The Free PlayBook developer offer resulted in a lot of crap apps. This is mostly over now so the influx of ****ty apps will stop.
    05-17-11 01:38 AM
    Part of me likes the idea but in the long run I prefer a free market based simply on the rating system and customer reviews.
    I am all for the free market too, and I trust guys like you would be able to collectively make choices the rest of us would make too, to keep the place from looking like spam mart.

There are quite a few apps in app world now that were one off basement home jobs, for people to collect their free playbook and don't add any value besides a number to the app count. I am not talking about a gong show, but as a last resort, just get rid of the trash once in a while.
    05-17-11 01:40 AM
    I think it's a bad idea. This "keep or kick" idea could discourage many small developers from making apps. To make a better App World experience all RIM has to do is better organize and categorize their apps to separate them into smaller more focused groups then have them sorted by rating and/or popularity. The high quality ones will naturally thrive and the crap ones will go to the bottom. No need to force boot any app out of the World.
    Last edited by bryanhayn; 05-17-11 at 01:43 AM. Reason: hi mom!
    bbaleno likes this.
    05-17-11 01:41 AM
    I think it's a bad idea. This "keep or kick" idea could discourage many small developers from making apps. To make a better App World experience all RIM has to do is better organize and categorize their apps to separate them into smaller more focused groups then have them sorted by rating and/or popularity. The high quality ones will naturally thrive and the crap ones will go to the bottom. No need to force boot any app out of the World.
    I do also like the current rating system as well. It is nice to have the feedback from others as well. I know the current system ranks the apps and like you say, puts the lower ranked apps at the bottom of the list, but among those could be new apps that maybe useful, but haven't gotten a rating.

I guess that as more playbook owners enter the picture it would be a moot point as there will be reviews covering every thing. I too would hate to see developers get turned off from developing for any reason. I am glad the playbook app give away is over, but I am sure that we have got a few great developers out of that process.
    05-17-11 01:59 AM
    It would be a unique idea that if used with class and care may make playbook owners feel a little more in the driver's seat. I know one app in particular would be gone from app world now. Only one.
    05-17-11 02:07 AM
    ...but among those could be new apps that maybe useful, but haven't gotten a rating.
    Very true. I guess it's up to RIM and the developers of these apps to promote the apps. That could be through the App World, various app review websites, YouTube, free app giveaways on the developers' websites, etc. It would be cool if RIM could make their own in depth app review site with contests, video reviews, and stuff like that.
    05-17-11 02:09 AM
    I think it will all come together at some point. RIM is valued at 22 Billion dollars and has a lot of room for growth, but they need the playbook to go viral if they expect to turn some heads. The bad press from the start was enough to turn some of the developers off, so I hope RIM can start really demonstrating the power of the playbook so that developers who are on the fence will get on board. I think there is still a lot of wait and see in respect to the android emulator. I personally don't want anything android on my playbook. I would rather see native apps, but this seems like it is slowing up app development.
    05-17-11 02:32 AM
    I do also like the current rating system as well. It is nice to have the feedback from others as well. I know the current system ranks the apps and like you say, puts the lower ranked apps at the bottom of the list, but among those could be new apps that maybe useful, but haven't gotten a rating.

I guess that as more playbook owners enter the picture it would be a moot point as there will be reviews covering every thing. I too would hate to see developers get turned off from developing for any reason. I am glad the playbook app give away is over, but I am sure that we have got a few great developers out of that process.
    New apps show up under "Newest" tab in App World
    05-17-11 02:35 AM
    I wish they would start allowing me to click a developers name on an app I like and search for other apps they developed or have a similar category for a type of game or app I like.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-11 04:47 AM
    New apps show up under "Newest" tab in App World

But not all of them. If there are more new apps then the total amount of screen space for that tab, those extra apps don't show up at all.
    05-17-11 06:54 AM
    they need to do what android market has. for pay apps have the 15min refund choice. if app world gets a ton of refund requests on one app they know its rubbish and to clean up app world. it's not to discourage small app developers its to encourage them to not released half assed apps like we saw at launch that don't make the grade. we have to slow of a trickle of descent apps and need to cut the development of crap apps off before they have more of a major problem then they already do.
    05-17-11 07:55 AM
    I like the 15 minute return idea. I think it is very important people don't waste money on something they are not happy with. It is bad for business. Even a fifteen minute free trial period would be a nice touch. Most serious developers offer a free version of there game or service, so the buyer is almost likely to enjoy the full version, of the app, but just in case, there should be an option for a timely return.
    05-17-11 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD