I am an Android user since '08 but from time to time buy other phones/tablets to see what the other guys are up to. I have owned iPads, Galaxy Tabs and now a Playbook.

I really like what Blackberry has going on here! The OS is intuitive and a pleasure to use. The Playbook itself is a quality piece of hardware as well.

I have a concern however. One being the lack of apps, I literally have to use the browser for half of my productivity apps I use in Android. Second is the app performance.

Lets take BOX for example, a fantastic cloud document storage site that works beautifully on both iOS and Android, the Playbook app is sluggish and glitchy.

Evernote, iOS and Android, a pleasure to use, Playbook? Glitchy, slow and what is with the box with an X in it in half my notes?

Facebook, iOS and Android, fluid scrolling and a pleasure. Playbook? Scrolling is like driving down a dirt road that is wash-boarded! The browser is smoother for Facebook than the app is!

What is with the bad app performance? This is just like Windows Phone, the native OS is fluid but apps are horrible.

"Professional-grade tablet"

"business of all sizes seeking a tablet designed to meet the needs of the most demanding business users without compromising performance or security"

I'm sorry but the most demanding business users are buying iPads!

Now that being said, at $199 the Playbook is a deal, at $499 not so much as Blackberry found out. I really want the Playbook and RIM to succeed but with a lack of developer support I am afraid that is a uphill battle. I have faith things will turn around for RIM. RIM is a unique company that offers many unique features and hardware. The developer support just needs a jump start and I think RIM would be back in the game in a big way!
    03-08-12 09:07 PM
    Yes RIM needs to focus on apps. I'm pretty sure they are aware of it also. Here's to better apps coming to a playbook near you. As far as what we have to work with now, ios and android may have some more polished apps as rim is playing catch up but I would have to disagree on just how horrible rims apps are. It's really not as bad as you say.....Imo
    03-08-12 11:33 PM
    Facebook app isn't sluggish or glitchy at all. Also, Blaq is one of the best twitter apps (I find it better than TweetCaster)
    03-08-12 11:36 PM
    Well I went ahead and exchanged the Playbook for a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. Now back to getting work done instead of looking for work-a-rounds.
    03-09-12 10:46 PM
    Well I went ahead and exchanged the Playbook for a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. Now back to getting work done instead of looking for work-a-rounds.
    Have fun!
    collapsed likes this.
    03-09-12 10:51 PM
    Damn that was quick dude.
    03-09-12 11:21 PM
    Sorry to say it but the Android OS as a whole is glitchy and sluggish.
    03-09-12 11:24 PM
    PlayBook 2.0 is sluggish, don't say it isn't, guys. Loading The Android player takes a while, too much for what should be a real time based OS.
    03-10-12 12:26 AM
    In terms of performance, I got to agree that the PB is a bit slow compared to ipad. Its just not as smooth as I expect

- Charles
    03-10-12 01:31 AM
    If your apps are all in android to begin with, this is pretty well the smart move.

Tablet are here to serve their master, the user, not the other way round.
    03-10-12 08:09 AM
    Android OS is sluggish and has WAY TO MUCH malware...
    collapsed and eternalemb like this.
    03-10-12 08:13 AM
    For those who don't admit it, the factor of some apps being sluggish on the Playbook is because of utilizing the Adobe AIR engine (the one separate from Flash). The engine doesn't seem to handle bitmapped images properly and it makes it seem like it handles a vector one. That's because the AIR engine is treated as another layer on top of the Playbook kernel and not as in-tact as what the Android does for the Java apps (being translated directly as a Dalvik, which does the translation inside the kernel itself). RIM should fix the engine, or they should just encourage developers to do native coding.
    03-10-12 09:12 AM
    For those who don't admit it, the factor of some apps being sluggish on the Playbook is because of utilizing the Adobe AIR engine (the one separate from Flash). The engine doesn't seem to handle bitmapped images properly and it makes it seem like it handles a vector one. That's because the AIR engine is treated as another layer on top of the Playbook kernel and not as in-tact as what the Android does for the Java apps (being translated directly as a Dalvik, which does the translation inside the kernel itself). RIM should fix the engine, or they should just encourage developers to do native coding.
    RIM, please give us Cascades, NOW. No point fixing AIR.
    03-10-12 10:08 AM
    For those who don't admit it... there is a tool for every purpose. One size does not fit all. Performance largely depends on whether the app is well-written or not. Some of the native apps now available in App World run poorly because they are poorly written.
    03-10-12 10:30 AM
    PlayBook 2.0 is sluggish, don't say it isn't, guys. Loading The Android player takes a while, too much for what should be a real time based OS.
    The first time, yes, but after that, it loads very quickly.
    03-10-12 11:54 AM
    I have no idea what you're talking about... What X on EverNote? Are you on OS2.0? It did solve almost all glitches I had here...

Box works great. Facebook is not the jew of the crown but it works great too. Android opens fast enough for any real-life scenario I can think off... And I only open it on occasion. I'm not really into losing all that memory.

I agree with one thing, just not to sound too confrontational: I too really like what Blackberry has going on here!
    03-10-12 01:51 PM
    My experience on the PlayBook is inconsistent at least to say. The native email, calendar and contacts client are top notch in my opinion, they're all well-thought and very fluid. The App World on the other hand is sluggish, and the UI isn't great. All from the same company.

On the other hand, the Dropbox and Kindle Android app that I sideloaded works really great, very fluid and snappy. It's really a hit and miss in my opinion, and it's not doing the PlayBook OS any justice. Great platform, but the poor app selection and performance will stop it from outshining.
    03-10-12 02:00 PM
    Android is not a little sluggish...it's extremely sluggish! But I guess having a speed optimized Windows Phone and PlayBook OS2 has spoiled me. As for OPs "observations" regarding performance, I tend to believe that OP either did not update to 2.0 or just exaggerated to make Android sound better. Hate to throw it out there, but we're all thinking it...
    03-10-12 02:00 PM
    Yes, I have to agree with this... even the frame rate for the animation of the app options menus is less than what it should be which is (30-60fps). I Feel like the core apps are not natively built, or built with AIR runtime, which has improved recently, but I'd never use to develop a core piece of the OS such as the web browser.

What do you think it is? Is this a development issue, OS architecture issue, or hardware issue? My older iPhone 3G's UX was slicker.

QNX is crazy slick compared to the individual apps. This needs to be consistent. This could possibly be the result of not standardizing the SDK. Maybe just make it native? Drop AIR? I love Flash/Flex, but....if it's not the most recent version which will be multi threaded and use hardware acceleration.... there's really no point in using it for high performance apps.

D.
    03-11-12 10:33 AM
    The performance hiccup of the Flash / AIR / Flex is when multiple vector images are cramped on screen. Other platform saw this weakness and suggested using bitmap images instead of vectors for the UI elements. Sure, using vector would result to a smaller BAR package size, but it makes the AIR engine draw anything. The devs should just use bitmaps instead like how it's done on other languages aso that the hardware resources will not worry how to draw them.
    Last edited by peter_betos; 03-11-12 at 10:30 PM.
    03-11-12 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD