Like many PlayBook owners, I have side-loaded countless Android apps (+100). However, I don't understand why perfectly working apps have not appeared in App World yet. Or why app developers request their apps to be removed from App World.

Why is it some Android developers are not reaching for a broader and welcoming BB user base?

Surprise! Free PlayBook Dev Promo Yields Few Quality BlackBerry Apps | CIO Blogs

There are numerous success stories in the blogs and forums. So why not more quality android apps available yet?
    03-05-12 09:17 PM
    Because many of the apps are supported by in app advertising and RIM has said that they will not be supporting Google Advertising Servers or in app purchases. Since they won't be getting paid for it, they aren't interested.
    03-05-12 09:21 PM
    Because many of the apps are supported by in app advertising and RIM has said that they will not be supporting Google Advertising Servers or in app purchases. Since they won't be getting paid for it, they aren't interested.
    incorrect statement, the Google Adv services are still intact
    araskin likes this.
    03-05-12 09:47 PM

let them charge for aps. I would gladly pay if they came with no google advertising.
    Last edited by bitek; 03-06-12 at 03:53 AM.
    03-05-12 09:52 PM
    google ads still work. They really have no reason not to bring their app over unless they are anti BlackBerry for whatever reason.
    03-05-12 11:14 PM
    google ads still work. They really have no reason not to bring their app over unless they are anti BlackBerry for whatever reason.
    ....or perhaps they just don't consider it to be worth their time. It is not anti-RIM to simply choose to not support a limited market share platform. It is just a business decision. I don't see why people think that it is anything more than business. The reason that there are far more programs for the Windows platform than Mac is because many businesses made decisions that the market share was not sufficient to support development costs. There is nothing more to the story....
    03-06-12 03:26 AM
    ....or perhaps they just don't consider it to be worth their time. It is not anti-RIM to simply choose to not support a limited market share platform. It is just a business decision. I don't see why people think that it is anything more than business. The reason that there are far more programs for the Windows platform than Mac is because many businesses made decisions that the market share was not sufficient to support development costs. There is nothing more to the story....
    makes no sense to me. rim made so extra easy for android developers to port aps to playbook that it makes no sense not to do it. why would anyone say 'no' to extra income with minimum effort.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-06-12 03:56 AM
    I submitted my Spider Solitaire HD for Playbook - to get free Playbook which I did - and the problem seems to be that even though it has admob ads they don't seem to be available for this device and I never saw it show any ad. I'm fine with it - I got a free tablet for that but it makes me hesitant when thinking about porting more apps (they require more work because I use Android NDK in them).

Also other developers might be wary about supporting the application after porting which might be problematic (especially when it's a paid app, so you will get very angry people when it doesn't work). Let's say it ported OK but after a while you have to correct a huge bug (security bug maybe) and the new version doesn't want to convert... You are in trouble then, you have to work hard to make it work with apk->bar converter...
    Last edited by Magnesus; 03-06-12 at 05:09 AM.
    03-06-12 05:07 AM
    So developers are shying away from support costs on paid apps? I would argue if one does cost/benefit analysis, then PlayBook apps would be more profitable as developers could charge more in App World. With less apps than Android Market, App World would be an opportunity for Android developers to increase revenues and profits.
    03-06-12 05:48 AM
    About as straight forward and accurate as it gets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-06-12 06:04 AM
    makes no sense to me. rim made so extra easy for android developers to port aps to playbook that it makes no sense not to do it. why would anyone say 'no' to extra income with minimum effort.
    Not all apps will work perfectly without some work. Some APIs are not supported. A new version adds to your support, test, and release processes going forward. Every new platform comes at a support cost.

So each developer will make that decision for themselves. The good thing is the Android player brings developers who otherwise wouldn't have considered the platform at all. So that's a win, even if it's not every app in the google market.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    03-06-12 06:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD