I've been noticing that the android apps being submitted are either boring, useless or copies and most, you have to pay for, I personally think android developers are submitting their most boring app or most useless putting a price tag on them and getting that free playbook with more money (my own personal opinion). What do you guys think?
    03-04-12 11:25 AM
    Just a matter of preference, I suppose... I know people that would never have purchased the Playbook without the ability to use Android Apps, a couple others that would potentially abandon it's use if they lost the ability to sideload certain apps they want to use. Myself personally, I use a few choice apps, and feel it's a good day when I don't need to get the android player up for any apps at all...

There are some decent android apps, and they should improve with some time, though BB will garner more success from the improvement of Native BB QNX BBX/10 apps, those will hopefully improve substantially once Cascades and the new NDK is released!... Keep fingers crossed for sooner than later...
    Last edited by Carbonetics; 03-04-12 at 11:48 AM.
    03-04-12 11:41 AM
    I know many are impatient, but it's nearly unjustifiable, this is a tremendous transition for RIM, though what they've done in less than two years is unparalleled, and we've had the OS in our hands for not even 365 days yet! Remember Google bought Android OS in 2005!. ...Most aren't even aware that it wasn't a google product! Those of you that recall the original G1 Android phone not even 5 years later that phone would be considered junk!

Apple IOS has it's origins dated all the way back to the IPOD!, the actual IPhone Os is based on Mac OS from 2002!
    In it's form as BB QNX OS, it's only existed for just over 2 yrs.

Anyone that doesn't have at least a modicum of patience should get away from BB for a little while then return in a year or so, because you won't even recognize it then, ....The QNX machine has just gotten fired up!
    Last edited by Carbonetics; 03-04-12 at 12:14 PM.
    03-04-12 11:54 AM
    I have to wonder why they would want a free playbook if they think it isn't worth their time or effort to port better apps or write native ones. I guess so they can sell it? Really if they find RIM and the playbook so useless why would they even want one?
    ronelectronic likes this.
    03-04-12 11:57 AM
    I am a Blackberry app developer, my BB apps already have more than half million downloads, but I would never develop using Webworks or Adobe Air, they are just not good tools. Now Playbook supports Android I converted my Android app and released it. It actually is pretty good. Playbook is actually a better Android develop tool than Nook color and Samsung Galaxy tab 7 inch.

You can check my apps in App World at:
    Karvi Technologies, Inc - BlackBerry App World

Ray
    03-04-12 12:01 PM
    I have to wonder why they would want a free playbook if they think it isn't worth their time or effort to port better apps or write native ones.
    true - and If the sale statistics for AppWorld is true, it should be a no-brainer for developers with good apps to make more than enough money to get the 16GB Playbook, a house and a Bugatti Veyron in the garage...
    03-04-12 12:05 PM
    true - and If the sale statistics for AppWorld is true, it should be a no-brainer for developers with good apps to make more than enough money...
    So true, statistically an android app on a BB phone should make more money on a BB product, because there aren't that many, simply put, if you're selling lemonade on a corner with 10 other lemonade stands, wouldn't you make more money where there are no other stands?

Some of the big names are coming over, but more in converting their apps to native PB OS. They're beginning to see the profit potential in the platform.

The smart ones realize when BBX/10 is released on the phones, their profits will explode!
    03-04-12 12:21 PM
    I am a Blackberry app developer, my BB apps already have more than half million downloads, but I would never develop using Webworks or Adobe Air, they are just not good tools. Now Playbook supports Android I converted my Android app and released it. It actually is pretty good. Playbook is actually a better Android develop tool than Nook color and Samsung Galaxy tab 7 inch.

Ray
    This is one developer who disagrees that Air is intrinsically inferior. I personally favour Java development but since RIM chose not to support it, I chose Air. Or more correctly I was forced to choose Air because there was no other choice in January of 2011. Things have changed for the better thanks to RIM's strategy of offering a wide range of choices for developers. Android is simply another way to get the job done. More choices = more developers = more great apps.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-04-12 12:42 PM
    I know many are impatient, but it's nearly unjustifiable, this is a tremendous transition for RIM, though what they've done in less than two years is unparalleled, and we've had the OS in our hands for not even 365 days yet! Remember Google bought Android OS in 2005!. ...Most aren't even aware that it wasn't a google product! Those of you that recall the original G1 Android phone not even 5 years later that phone would be considered junk!

Apple IOS has it's origins dated all the way back to the IPOD!, the actual IPhone Os is based on Mac OS from 2002!
    In it's form as BB QNX OS, it's only existed for just over 2 yrs.

Anyone that doesn't have at least a modicum of patience should get away from BB for a little while then return in a year or so, because you won't even recognize it then, ....The QNX machine has just gotten fired up!
    All that may be true, BUT remember neither platform released anything half baked, nor made broken promises. The mistake on RIMs part in contrast has been far too high expectations while falling back behind its competitors. Of course OS's takes time to develop, but really are they in a position to start from scratch & make consumers wait 2 years?

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    03-04-12 12:58 PM
    I've been noticing that the android apps being submitted are either boring, useless or copies and most, you have to pay for, I personally think android developers are submitting their most boring app or most useless putting a price tag on them and getting that free playbook with more money (my own personal opinion). What do you guys think?
    I think that like any other sweeping generalization, your observations are just plain misguided. To counter your argument I offer this Android-based app, recently added to App World and selling very well:

Buy Solar System Explorer - Download Solar System Explorer - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

There is another fine Astronomy app in the top ten paid app list. I think it's an Air app but it's name escapes me right now.

BTW It annoys me when consumers complain about having to pay for apps. I appreciate RIM's efforts to offer a plethora of fine development tools and a secure digital app store where we can hope to make a living. I have a felling that there are more than a few Android developers have discovered that this environment is a much better place to do business than the wild-west piracy-plagued Android Market.
    03-04-12 01:05 PM
    Screw them just sideload android apps LOL
    03-04-12 01:13 PM
    Totally agree. The playbook app selection is appalling. There are about a dozen decent apps in appworld. Android and Apple have thousands. Apps and the ability to personalise and modify a phone or tablet are the future. RIM are so far behind. Perhaps they'll make up some ground, but it won't be with the playbook which is a shame as it's not a bad unit
    Last edited by darrensix; 03-04-12 at 01:20 PM.
    03-04-12 01:14 PM

Ray
    With webworks you can make apps in html, java and flash. Webworks is pretty usefull.
    Jeroen
    03-04-12 01:16 PM
    PS- I never understood why this was so all fired important on the PlayBook. They just aren't that great. I would rather have quality over quantity any day....
    03-04-12 02:03 PM
    Totally agree. The playbook app selection is appalling. There are about a dozen decent apps in appworld. Android and Apple have thousands. Apps and the ability to personalise and modify a phone or tablet are the future. RIM are so far behind. Perhaps they'll make up some ground, but it won't be with the playbook which is a shame as it's not a bad unit
    I heard there is now more than 10,000 PB apps. Of course not all of them will be useful to any particular user. "One man's trash is another man's treasure".
    Of the 500,000 apps supposedly in Android Market are they all going to be useful to every user?
    Longdog_Brewery likes this.
    03-04-12 03:22 PM
    I understand why people might feel like android apps are dodgy, it's very easy to think that the android player just doesn't give that quality compared to native apps, we only truly have a handful of decent ones. It's not all rosy on the native side either I mean I bought duke nukem and I was really disappointed with the graphics and game play. Bring out the good stuff guys we'll support you! Coming from gaming on a ps to ps2 to ps3, what I pay for a new game on bluray upwards of 30 can sort me out lots of apps and games in appworld. Gameloft and EA do it well we just need more of that quality, there are more PB owners now
    03-04-12 03:40 PM
    I somewhat agree. The only Android app I got from BBAW was Ghost Commander (which is awesome).

I however sideloaded Moon+ Reader (since no decent free book reader on BBAW), Dolphin Browser HD, RepliGo Reader and OfficeSuite (because both Adobe Reader and Documents to Go haven't yet reached the same usability they have under iOS and Android).
    03-04-12 03:55 PM
    its probably because people were willing to convert but not go into details most app need more than just a simple conversion.
    03-04-12 04:37 PM
    Depends on the app, you'll always get the good with the bad. Right now, I have about 20 odd Android Apps I use regularly.

And its 20 apps I wouldn't have otherwise. So I'm not complaining much. There is a lot of garbage too but thats the free Android Market for you.
    siddo_d likes this.
    03-04-12 04:42 PM
    Like the native apps, it will come down to the quality of the app, the dedication of the developer, and consumer tastes. I'm not a developer but it's pretty insulting to make such a sweeping statement like that. There is also nothing wrong with charging for an app as long as it is your own intellectual property.

I don't doubt that some people purposely submitted dodgy apps and in same cases apps that weren't even their own to begin with to exploit the promotion. However, like all things, you have to take the bad with the good. RIM is playing the numbers game, and hoping that among the thousands that submitted their apps, there will be enough gems that build solid apps and more importantly begin to build native apps for their platform. One such example as Buzz mentioned is the developer of Solar Explorer, who has found success porting his app and is now looking at continued support due to reception he has received (and is just waiting on his playbook to test his apps).
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    03-04-12 05:56 PM
    RIM is playing the numbers game, and hoping that among the thousands that submitted their apps, there will be enough gems that build solid apps and more importantly begin to build native apps for their platform. One such example as Buzz mentioned is the developer of Solar Explorer, who has found success porting his app and is now looking at continued support due to reception he has received (and is just waiting on his playbook to test his apps).
    It is really hard being a developer for RIM at this stage of their reinvention of the BB apps ecosystem. I remember seeing all kinds of posts decrying the quality of Air apps at launch last year. The OP contains the same kind of unfounded criticism leveled at developers who stuck their necks out and submitted apps without having had the luxury of testing them on a real device. I can guarantee that you will see much improvement in these apps over the next months and weeks.
    03-04-12 06:09 PM
    This is one developer who disagrees that Air is intrinsically inferior. I personally favour Java development but since RIM chose not to support it, I chose Air. Or more correctly I was forced to choose Air because there was no other choice in January of 2011. Things have changed for the better thanks to RIM's strategy of offering a wide range of choices for developers. Android is simply another way to get the job done. More choices = more developers = more great apps.
    Hi, I noticed your app among the top list a couple weeks ago, during the time App World featured my app and it was close to your app in ranking.Now my app droped to no where and yours is still up. Congratulations on the achievement. Having been burned badly by these cross platform tools I am alergic to them now. Adobe Air is the only one that seems to be useable. But for now I will still stay away.
    03-04-12 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD