On the QNX talks blackberry vid we see another demo, BUT we see alot more apps and a confirmation of at least gmail app (see attached). This is at about 3:50 and later on I see youtube and Slacker. I impressed at that these apps are already on the playbook demo units. Though what made me post was the gmail app and that was a sticking point for me a month ago.
    Last edited by sandmanfvr; 03-06-11 at 02:05 PM.
    03-06-11 02:01 PM
    On the QNX talks blackberry vid we see another demo, BUT we see alot more apps and a confirmation of at least gmail app (see attached). This is at about 3:50 and later on I see youtube and Slacker. I impressed at that these apps are already on the playbook demo units. Though what made me post was the gmail app and that was a sticking point for me a month ago.
    "If you build it they will come"

RIM is currently working with industry titans of the developer world...there is no reason why anyone should discount or worry about anything being absent....at launch sure....over time we'll have the best of all worlds

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    espresso1967 likes this.
    03-06-11 02:06 PM
    Bing Maps.... i swear they'd better not be pushing crap-ware icons to my PB!
    03-06-11 02:18 PM
    ^^Dude(Missing_k-w) are you the Marketing Chief that RIM just let go?
    03-06-11 02:20 PM
    Bing sucks and can't hold a candle to google maps with turn by turn.

Also gmail app has been there since the beginning
    03-06-11 02:33 PM

Bing Maps on a PC is much nicer than google maps when ploting addresses/locations, and finding places to buy things.

don't know about either really on my mobile phone, since Garmin usually does it in my car for me.
    03-06-11 02:36 PM
    ^^Dude(Missing_k-w) are you the Marketing Chief that RIM just let go?
    I just find it comical how everyone is questioning what's inevitable to be on the PB....I'm being much forward thinking .....trusting that RIMs been there and done that with most concerns and moving on to the possibilities and capabilities of super apps and full scale programs running on the tablet....

No other company will come close to what they're native sdk potential and capabilities will allow.....imagine what will be running on VM's and emulators in the future? We won't just have apps, but programs....that's huge and who can match that? Android comes close but is infantile in comparrison to QNX.....

QNX is in a league of it's own...touting if the other platform support it...we'll do it to...just take our native sdk and the skies the limit....and to boot it will run in real time!

There are reasons jim B waves the , "we aren't an app comapny".....and the reason for that is what I mentioned above....in the future with QNX's VM and emulator capabilities ....we will have acsess to every mobile app you can comprehend...it's just a matter of developers
    Bringing such capabilities....

People fail to view the intrinsic value QNX brings to RIM...and once you start to unravel the potential....the gravity of it is unprescedented
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-06-11 at 03:04 PM.
    03-06-11 02:55 PM
    Just because there is an icon it doesn't mean there is an app. I have seen gmail and Yahoo Mail icons but I have also seen a Facebook icon that just opened the browser to the webpage.
    03-06-11 04:38 PM
    Just because there is an icon it doesn't mean there is an app. I have seen gmail and Yahoo Mail icons but I have also seen a Facebook icon that just opened the browser to the webpage.
    Gotta start somewhere

03-06-11 04:43 PM

I have watched many videos, gmail hasn't been in them, maybe in some I missed, but I do look at the icons.

True, but on blackberries they lead to app downloads usually.
    03-06-11 05:15 PM
    Interesting find, I know there were bunch of non-functioning icons on the PB I'd played with. This might just be another icon to fill the screen, but then again it could also mean a dedicated gmail icon or like you said an app.
    03-06-11 05:22 PM
    Interesting find, I know there were bunch of non-functioning icons on the PB I'd played with. This might just be another icon to fill the screen, but then again it could also mean a dedicated gmail icon or like you said an app.
    Good point, could be a place holder icon as each demo unit has different icons. Hopefully at launch there are native clients for big email such as gmail etc that would be nice to non blackberry users.
    03-06-11 05:28 PM
    I have watched many videos, gmail hasn't been in them, maybe in some I missed, but I do look at the icons.

True, but on blackberries they lead to app downloads usually.

at the 23 second mark you can see the gmail app and this was back in beginning of december
    03-06-11 05:41 PM
    Well ok then. Maybe just demo icons.
    03-06-11 05:47 PM
    Well ok then. Maybe just demo icons.
    never seen anyone actually click on it. but that acn be said for probably 75-80% of the icons. they have always just gone over the same things. nothing new except for a game or 2 which i dont care about. I know games with come. I want to see things i will fine useful everyday like email, instant messenger apps besides BBM, how bout remote desktop access maybe.

I dont care that you can play quake, HD video and a song playing at once. I actually see it as a hinderence since you have to shut them down or pause them when you try and multitask. Instead they keeep playing and playing on top of each which is just annoying
    03-06-11 05:59 PM
    I dont care that you can play quake, HD video and a song playing at once. I actually see it as a hinderence since you have to shut them down or pause them when you try and multitask. Instead they keeep playing and playing on top of each which is just annoying
    thats at the users discretion this thread shows the options currently available. also it can be built directly into the games to do it automagically when you minimise them.

as for the icons, yes i remember seeing them in the tablife video which i think was even before the currently posted video, but seeing is believing as they say. although if im honest the email app isnt an issue for me as i`ll prob be connected to my BB for most of the time. thats just me however and i can see how for some this will be a potential issue
    03-06-11 06:05 PM
    that setting is across the board right? so if i shut it off does that mean i wont be able to play music from pandora and surf the web at the same time? i would think that this should be handled a little better but the way the OS is set up is different than others too
    03-06-11 06:20 PM
    that setting is across the board right? so if i shut it off does that mean i wont be able to play music from pandora and surf the web at the same time? i would think that this should be handled a little better but the way the OS is set up is different than others too
    im guessing that while its a global setting (its seems so at least) perhaps streaming services and audio might be handled differently, possibly like iOS does this for certain apps. its really an unknown but im sure someone will breach the subject come hands on review time
    03-06-11 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD