The playbook is the perfect size to be an electronic kneeboard. I'm hoping a developer somewhere is working on making a kneeboard app with charts/approaches/checklists/etc. I know that there is at least one out there for the iPad as a friend of mine uses it. His issue though is that the iPad is really to big to use as a kneeboard.

With the fact that the playbook has passed the security hurdles, there is a big potential military market place for the playbook with this app. There are rumors of our pilots right now flying with iPads...

Just floating a suggestion if someone isn't already working on it. I would certainly buy a copy!
    09-23-11 12:39 PM
    Totally agree! I have downloaded all of the Canadian Airport diagrams off the NavCanada website and have used them in the Adobe application. Even if Jeppesen or whomever released Approach plates or anything else that would be golden on flight deck. iOS has that Foreflight app which is fantastic for VFR. For night flying you don't even need to turn on lights to look at things.

You're right though, the size is perfect.
    09-23-11 01:19 PM
    Totally agree! I have downloaded all of the Canadian Airport diagrams off the NavCanada website and have used them in the Adobe application. Even if Jeppesen or whomever released Approach plates or anything else that would be golden on flight deck. iOS has that Foreflight app which is fantastic for VFR. For night flying you don't even need to turn on lights to look at things.

You're right though, the size is perfect.
    YES! I agree as well. This is great platform for a GPS nav app like Foreflight WingX or AnywhereMap. The size and screen brightness looks ideal for my flying needs.
    Hoping and waiting impatiently for the Android app to see if one of the Android versions will work on the PlayBook.
    My handle ain't "Brianflys" for nuttin'...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-11 02:58 PM
    Rumour has it, the RCAF is on the brink of buying hundreds of iPads for this exact use. I'd much rather see the Playbook be bought instead, but that would require RIM to develop a Jeppesen App really quickly and get it tested to even be in the race for this sale.
    12-06-11 09:51 AM
    Has anyone tried porting any of the aviation apps in the android market to the playbook? Can't seem to find any bars or even apk files floating around. This would be great because i too agree the playbook would be the perfect size for a kneeboard. i'm also glad to see some pilot love here on the forums. I am just starting off with the aviation career, but I already can't get enough of flying, it's an unbelievable experience, and i would love to see some good apps to come to the playbook.
    12-06-11 10:05 AM
    +1 here, using the OS2 beta (works pretty well!)
    I would love to port Flight Instruments

https://market.android.com/details?i...2h0LmZpZGVtbyJ

over to the playbook if i'm IFR at night and the S#$% hits the F@!

That + foreflight and I wouldn't ever need to lug a huge case or a huge ipad around.
    I have downloaded all the regular approach plates and low enroutes in pdf format from the FAA's website, but it sounds like as of april that will no longer be free, nor accessible at any price direct to the end user.

Digital Charts Plan Riles Pilot Groups | AVIATION WEEK

cheers!
    12-17-11 07:52 AM
    i would probably purchase such an app. been flyin for a living for 35+ yers.
    12-17-11 06:27 PM
    i did manage to sideload garmin pilot, it works really well... but only gets the trial because in app purchases are disabled for android apps that have been sideloaded (I assumed unless you rooted a while back).

I'll be playing with garmin pilot on my next flight, but at least on the ground the downloaded charts and GPS lock work perfect, even when offline.

Any one else try anything new?
    Malachi.2.15 likes this.
    05-23-12 03:41 PM
    i did manage to sideload garmin pilot, it works really well... but only gets the trial because in app purchases are disabled for android apps that have been sideloaded (I assumed unless you rooted a while back).

I'll be playing with garmin pilot on my next flight, but at least on the ground the downloaded charts and GPS lock work perfect, even when offline.

Any one else try anything new?
    Where did you find the *.bar file for garmin pilot?
    05-24-12 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD