Simple question though, Is it true that the pictures in "Pictures" app doesn't rotate in portrait mode? If it does, do i need set any setting? Because it seems i can't rotate the pictures to portrait mode
    05-01-11 10:44 AM
    No it doesn't. You can only view pictures in landscape.
    05-01-11 10:53 AM
    mine doesnt rotate either. weird!
    05-01-11 11:31 AM
    For my scenic shots, I have rarely liked portrait mode but there are shots that only work that way. And for people images, well, "portrait" says it all. I hope they manage to fix this. Yesterday I purposely used the pb camera in portrait mode to shoot - still it would not rotate once it was photographed.
    Last edited by F2; 05-01-11 at 11:56 AM.
    05-01-11 11:46 AM
    It's not just a viewing issue, it's a resolution issue. Check the resolution of your portrait pics vs your landscape ones (just look at the file sizes). Landscape about 1MB, portrait about 100K. So it's actually quite a serious problem if you need quality portrait pics.
    05-01-11 12:39 PM
    It's not just a viewing issue, it's a resolution issue. Check the resolution of your portrait pics vs your landscape ones (just look at the file sizes). Landscape about 1MB, portrait about 100K. So it's actually quite a serious problem if you need quality portrait pics.
    oMg, lucky enogh i didnt take any vital photo in portrait mode, geez, RIM really have so much homework to do with playbook
    05-01-11 01:05 PM
    WEIRD. I just looked at the images I shot yesterday while on a walk. The zoomed ones are also of lesser size (quality???).
    05-01-11 01:31 PM
    I believe it is a digital zoom (meaning it is the equivalent of cropping, which reduces number of pixels). It doesn't physically zoom in on the image like an optical zoom lens does.

WEIRD. I just looked at the images I shot yesterday while on a walk. The zoomed ones are also of lesser size (quality???).
    05-01-11 01:44 PM
    This sounds odd, and should not be happening AFAIK (unless you digitally zoomed the portrait shots?). I will try it later.

05-01-11 01:46 PM
    If you want full quality pictures in portrait mode you need to turn on orientation lock. It will show up in your picture folder sideways in landscape and will fill the whole Playbook screen when you view it. Just rotate the playbook to portrait for proper viewing. If you want to actually rotate the picture, connect your playbook to your computer, open your playbook drive, should be z drive or something like that. go to your camera folder and it should show all the pictures and screenshots taken with your playbook. The directory for me is Z:\camera.

Edit: I took identical pictures with orientation lock on and off. 440 kb with lock off and 1,072 kb with lock on.
    Last edited by kbill1984; 05-01-11 at 01:59 PM.
    05-01-11 01:57 PM
    I just compared 2 shots taken a couple of minutes apart, 1 landscape, 1 portrait, at the same zoom setting. They have the same resolution and roughly the same file size.

If you are seeing a difference between portrait and landscape, I suspect it is due to the zoom setting.

Also, different subject matter will compress to different degrees, so you can't get a direct indication of quality from file size differences.
    05-01-11 02:09 PM
    Why would orientation lock affect the camera? It should not AFAIK (just a display setting). Are you sure they were identical pictures? You'd have to control the lighting/framing to make sure they are identical.
    05-01-11 02:14 PM
    Call me crazy but I took two shots in a dark closet - one portrait, one landscape. They are almost identical in size.

Waiting for my analytics on this issue.
    05-01-11 02:31 PM
    I framed these pictures as close to the same as I could. They should be close enough to prevent such a large difference in file size stored on the playbook.
    Uploaded pictures ended up being the same file size so I included a couple pictures to show the thumbnails and file details when I explore my playbook as a network drive on my pc.
    The picture in portrait was taken with orientation lock off. The one in landscape with lock on.

What? You don't have a pile of colorful rocks on a glass table on your deck in the rain?
    05-01-11 02:47 PM
    I guess they keep the table top from blowing away!
    05-01-11 03:01 PM
    Not trying to be difficult, but a 2x difference in file size isn't anything to be too worried about. Are they focused identically? I think if one is slightly out of focus it may compress better (smaller file size). The only way to identify an issue is under controlled studio conditions, eliminating all variables.

If you have photoshop or similar try saving a jpg file at different quality levels, then look at them zoomed in 100%. You'll see that you can have quite a variation in file size with little or no visible impact on the photo quality.

I framed these pictures as close to the same as I could. They should be close enough to prevent such a large difference in file size stored on the playbook.
    Uploaded pictures ended up being the same file size so I included a couple pictures to show the thumbnails and file details when I explore my playbook as a network drive on my pc.
    The picture in portrait was taken with orientation lock off. The one in landscape with lock on.

What? You don't have a pile of colorful rocks on a glass table on your deck in the rain?
    05-01-11 03:24 PM
    Every picture I have taken turns out the same way. The only thing that changes is orientation lock.
    05-01-11 03:50 PM
    Well is there anything wrong with the pictures? The file size may be different for whatever reason, but is there a problem with the appearance of the photos (e.g. if you upload to a PC)?

Every picture I have taken turns out the same way. The only thing that changes is orientation lock.
    05-01-11 06:09 PM
    No issues, just strange file size difference.
    05-01-11 06:49 PM
    OK, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, but you could keep an eye on it over time . Thanks!
    05-01-11 06:56 PM
    Back to the topic at hand.. No rotate on viewing pictures? Lame. I was so unimpressed when I found this out, ESPECIALLY since their own features page shows the photos app ROTATED:
    BlackBerry - PlayBook Is Here - New BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - BlackBerry Tablet

I really hate false advertising. That sort of stuff gets to me.
    05-13-11 11:49 AM
    I wouldn't call this false advertisement, more like the function hasn't been enabled on the playbook for whatever reason.

It's like we saw the facebook app on the ad and then few days later, they released it

it's a pretty simple function that I am sure we will see it possible via future updates
    05-13-11 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD