Has anyone compared these two apps yet? I have been using PhoneMyPC for awhile now to access my desktop remotely and I couldn't ask for more. It gives me a live view of my webcam as well as the ability to kill processes. I would definitely check it out if you're looking for a remote desktop app.
    04-21-12 11:08 AM
    Well, with Splashtop you can actually control your PC like you were right in front of it. You get a view of your desktop and start manipulating it as you wish. You can plug your PlayBook to a TV and show everyone what you're doing on your PC, you can also be outside your home and manipulate your PC remotely.. very useful if you ask me.
    04-21-12 11:22 AM
    Well you can do the same thing with PhoneMyPC, you get a live view of your desktop that you can manipulate it as if you were in front of it. The things I mentioned were just additions that I don't think Splashtop has.
    04-21-12 11:45 AM
    Phone my pc works best for me and its also free
    I do have both but prefer pmpc.
    04-21-12 11:46 AM
    Well, with Splashtop you can actually control your PC like you were right in front of it. You get a view of your desktop and start manipulating it as you wish. You can plug your PlayBook to a TV and show everyone what you're doing on your PC, you can also be outside your home and manipulate your PC remotely.. very useful if you ask me.
    I might be mistaken, but I believe you can do all those things with PhoneMyPC as well.
    04-21-12 11:52 AM
    Phone my pc works best for me and its also free
    I do have both but prefer pmpc.
    It isn't free, it's $9.99...
    04-21-12 11:54 AM
    Well it was free for me
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb8KQTosIzM[/YT]
    Last edited by Kandoo-BB; 04-21-12 at 12:01 PM.
    04-21-12 11:57 AM
    I might be mistaken, but I believe you can do all those things with PhoneMyPC as well.
    Didn't knew.. i guess i'll give that app a try then.
    04-21-12 12:26 PM
    PhoneMyPC uses SSL connections. I just bought it, and will try it out and compare. Using a secure connection is a big deal to me.

What is unclear to me is whether PhoneMyPC will work if they go out of business. I think so, but it is unclear. Splashtop relies on Google's infrastructure, so make of that what you will. I am hopeful that PhoneMyPC will also be more reliable in establishing the connection - Splashtop can can require a client restart if it hiccups on the initial connection.

The extra features like controlling processes mean nothing to me since those are available through the PC while controlling it with Splashtop.

Finally, the folks behind PhoneMyPC appear to be much more professional. Of course, I don't know that for sure.
    04-21-12 03:16 PM
    Here's a video of PhoneMyPC running a kindle fire to give you an idea of how it looks.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el6GK-kyEN0[/YT]
    04-21-12 05:48 PM
    Turns out PhoneMyPC is a ported Android app and some features are definitely still in Beta (voice and video).

I do not know if they plan to re-write it into a native Playbook app or not, but I have asked them. Running this as a ported Android app carries quite a bit of baggage.

Still, it mostly works well. The menu are kind of clunky-looking, really, but they do work. It would be so much better as a native Playbook app.

It's potential is really high, but it does appear to rely upon the company's servers - in fact, it keeps a persistent connection to those servers, it seems. I am not a big fan of that approach, but it does make it work really well.

I am concerned that of someone hacks into their server they can potentially get to every connected device. Of course, as a security professional, I am paid to be paranoid.
    04-21-12 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD