View Poll Results: What did you do to have Skype and Webex

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't care I don't use these products

6 8.70%
  • I already submitted or planning to submit an official request for Skype and Webex

31 44.93%
  • Waiting and doing nothing

32 46.38%
    Dear fellow Playbook owners.
    After the recent sales.. where playbook is often sold out I think I am not alone anymore in owning the best tablet on the market today.

* We need to flood the Webex and skype Official support for requests to support our devices ( OS 7.0, Playbook and all carriers in states and canada). Why only verizon has skype for blackberry ?

Please submit official requests to these compagnies to make apps for us otherwise they will think that we are a dinausaur that has no teeth

***UPDATE:
    https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...stomer-Service

http://support.webex.com/SelfService...ld=contactSupp

*** I spent more than an hour when I called Webex complaining about no OS 7 support when I upgraded to bold 9900. This annoys me a lot. If Cisco get lot of IT tickets open about the issue I hope that this can be heard somehow...

Thanks,

PKPDBERRY
    Last edited by PKPDBERRYADDICT; 11-30-11 at 06:52 PM. Reason: more details
    11-30-11 09:40 AM
    Please submit official requests to these compagnies to make apps for us otherwise they will think that we are a dinausaur that has no teeth
    While I like your idea, if you are taking the lead on this you might want to post the contact information for these companies so that others can contact them.
    highos likes this.
    11-30-11 09:45 AM
    While still a small sample, I find it rather ironic that so far 70% of the people who have voted so far have indicated that they are "waiting and doing nothing".

Dissapointing when all we do on these forums is complain that certain apps are not available, apparently though, at the same time, it's just beneath us to contact these companies requesting support.

The OP is bang on - we in the Playbook commmunity need to get off a collective a**es and start to make some noise.
    11-30-11 10:43 AM
    ...should spend a few minutes and go to these websites and complain...
    11-30-11 10:51 AM
    Skype and Webex? What about BASICS like email, calendar with Google sync, contacts and notes. ALL NATIVE APPS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED FROM DAY ONE !
    11-30-11 12:06 PM
    Skype and Webex? What about BASICS like email, calendar with Google sync, contacts and notes. ALL NATIVE APPS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED FROM DAY ONE !
    While I normally do not respond to people yelling in the forums I'm new here and this one bugs me.

Flogging this poor old dead horse might seem valid to a few "members" but please correct me if I'm wrong: Do you not get all these functions when bridged to your BB phone? I can't test mine just yet.

If you don't want the best technology available why did you buy a playbook?

Sorry to derail your thread. I just got back from filing a request from my skype account. Thanks for trying to organize some change
    Lhendr likes this.
    11-30-11 12:32 PM
    Yes, these are in Bridge.

There is an app called Phone Remote that I'll check-out, it was mentioned in another thread...you can see your phone screen on your pb
    11-30-11 01:54 PM
    Anyone know the success rate of online petitions? It would seem difficult for a company to invest resources based on anecdotal evidence because X amount of people emailed you or posted on your forum. For all they know, it could just be a spambot. To get these types of apps, RIM needs to develop a relationship with these companies and show them some sales numbers so they can see that it would be worth it to develop an app for the PB.

I'm not discouraging you from trying, but maybe these requests should be copied to the developer relations people at RIM as well. That way they can see there is a demand and maybe RIM will knock on the door of these companies and try to work with them.
    Last edited by TBone4eva; 11-30-11 at 02:57 PM.
    11-30-11 02:53 PM
    I know plenty of people have been communicating with Netflix, Slingbox, Amazon Kindle and others and the results are pretty useless. RIM should be going to marquee app companies and offering them something to get the apps on the Playbook (RIM do the development, cash, both). Seems like RIM has focused on gaming though rather than apps that people really want. Also they won't release anything that may one day compete with something that they intend to release themselves (Netflix over the mythical Blackberry Video Service, 3rd party e-mail apps, etc.). I wouldn't expect much until after February and Android support is officially added as I think most vendors want to leverage work already done.
    FF22 and Lhendr like this.
    11-30-11 03:50 PM
    I know plenty of people have been communicating with Netflix, Slingbox, Amazon Kindle and others and the results are pretty useless. RIM should be going to marquee app companies and offering them something to get the apps on the Playbook (RIM do the development, cash, both). Seems like RIM has focused on gaming though rather than apps that people really want. Also they won't release anything that may one day compete with something that they intend to release themselves (Netflix over the mythical Blackberry Video Service, 3rd party e-mail apps, etc.). I wouldn't expect much until after February and Android support is officially added as I think most vendors want to leverage work already done.
    Gotta commend OP for the effort, but I couldn't agree more. Since buying my PB in April I've sent around a hundred emails to different App developers like skype, rovio, netflix, etc and it really hasn't done anything. As far as the top app developers go I think they need to see incentives from RIM before they invest in the platform. A big incentive is obviously potential sales, which is essentially the number of Playbook owners out there. I think the price cuts have offered a much needed boost in sales, but it may not be enough to draw the big names just yet... I'm thinking once the first few BBX phones are released that will be enough.
    11-30-11 04:21 PM
    ...should spend a few minutes and go to these websites and complain...
    Just spent 10 mins going through the right buttons and typing a very sincere letter to customer service.

I am only one but I hope others follow.....yea....your wasting your time at work anyways so why don't you take a couple mins....
    11-30-11 04:51 PM
    Gotta commend OP for the effort, but I couldn't agree more. Since buying my PB in April I've sent around a hundred emails to different App developers like skype, rovio, netflix, etc and it really hasn't done anything. As far as the top app developers go I think they need to see incentives from RIM before they invest in the platform. A big incentive is obviously potential sales, which is essentially the number of Playbook owners out there. I think the price cuts have offered a much needed boost in sales, but it may not be enough to draw the big names just yet... I'm thinking once the first few BBX phones are released that will be enough.
    I do commend him. Maybe the Playbook newbs snapping up these things at way less than we paid for them will put some new life into getting companies to develop apps for it. I still think a lot of companies didn't develop native apps for the Playbook because they were told by one of the CEO's that Android apps would be supported in summer (with no caveats), and now we are looking at February with a lot of caveats. As for me, I've done enough e-mails on it and I'll leave it to the young whippersnappers to do the leg work now
    11-30-11 06:43 PM
    I do commend him. Maybe the Playbook newbs snapping up these things at way less than we paid for them will put some new life into getting companies to develop apps for it. I still think a lot of companies didn't develop native apps for the Playbook because they were told by one of the CEO's that Android apps would be supported in summer (with no caveats), and now we are looking at February with a lot of caveats. As for me, I've done enough e-mails on it and I'll leave it to the young whippersnappers to do the leg work now
    I should start a new thread complaining to Bloomberg about their loyalty to iOS... Anyone with me?!
    11-30-11 07:21 PM
    Actually I think it's more likely that native apps weren't worked on because there were no native tools to use at the time. We're really only getting the games because the UI framework wasn't in the NDK, which the gaming companies didn't need. I really think major developers would perfer to use native tools because it will mean less potential for problems and a higher quality app without limitations. Having android support makes it easier for the smaller developers to port their apps over, but a company like Skype or Webex is going to want to use the native tools.
    12-01-11 06:49 AM
    Actually I think it's more likely that native apps weren't worked on because there were no native tools to use at the time. We're really only getting the games because the UI framework wasn't in the NDK, which the gaming companies didn't need. I really think major developers would perfer to use native tools because it will mean less potential for problems and a higher quality app without limitations. Having android support makes it easier for the smaller developers to port their apps over, but a company like Skype or Webex is going to want to use the native tools.
    Possibly, but companies are also looking to get the most bang for the buck too. Why support 3 platforms, if one of the three can run apps designed for one of the other two? Also the Playbook didn't really set sales on Fire till the recent huge price drops. With the Playbook's tiny marketshare I think most companies will take ease over quality. If we had Android support right now, and the Netflix app worked ok I doubt most Playbook owners would care if a Native app would be better, they just want access.
    12-01-11 07:01 AM
    Not to be the one to you-know-what in everyone's Wheaties but you're all fighting a losing battle here. These apps will not get onto the PlayBook until RIM decides to write these developers a check. IT'S THAT SIMPLE! They did it for EA and a select others, so we know they're capable of swallowing their pride every once in a while.

Despite how solid of a device the PlayBook is, its market share is still too minuscule for developers to waste time and resources by developing for it without some sort of incentive. As someone said the release of BBX *should* be enough for them to turn the corner and finally port these apps, but until then this is all just a waste of time. It's all about the $$$$ for these developers, and a few letters and complaints will not make them change their minds.
    Last edited by bulls2213; 12-01-11 at 08:24 AM.
    12-01-11 08:17 AM
    Possibly, but companies are also looking to get the most bang for the buck too. Why support 3 platforms, if one of the three can run apps designed for one of the other two? Also the Playbook didn't really set sales on Fire till the recent huge price drops. With the Playbook's tiny marketshare I think most companies will take ease over quality. If we had Android support right now, and the Netflix app worked ok I doubt most Playbook owners would care if a Native app would be better, they just want access.
    One of the biggest issues with the PB is that a lot of people feel it's half-baked, well then why would you want half-baked apps? I hope a major developer would learn from RIM's mistake and not go that route. It's possible that they may initially port their android app, as is, to stake their spot and test demand, but I expect that any major developer that does this will eventually switch to the native tools. If the money is there, they will support the platform. With the native tools, you'll essentially be developing for BBX, not just the PB. So, you're talking about potentially millions of devices once the BBX phones launch. It will be more like ICS, what you build for the phone, will work on the tablet and vice versa.
    12-01-11 10:53 AM
    Show friends and family how easy that app is and then get RIM to make a web based basic interface and cut out Skype if they are not interested. Corporate communications strategies are going around Skype, my company is on cisco intergrated communications, which is video ready, what is needed is to have a mobile platform for video, either cellular or IP, that shouldn't be a stretch targetfor near term basic implementation, should it?
    12-28-11 01:01 AM
    Just posted on Skype support forum thingy making the request.

Other devices - Skype Support Network
    bitek likes this.
    12-28-11 09:00 AM
    Personally I want any and everything for the PlayBook to enhance user experience. The more the merry. Skype and Webex are just two in a long list
    bitek likes this.
    12-28-11 09:14 AM
    Personally I think contacting these companies is a good idea
    bitek likes this.
    12-29-11 01:00 AM
    There is a thread on the skype forums going here

Re: blackberry playbook - Skype Support Network
    12-29-11 04:59 AM
    Nice to be able to do Webex on Bold 9900 hope playbook version comes soon.
    !
    01-13-12 08:58 AM
    I wrote email to skype. and you should too. i do not care about skype myself but many others do. if skype on pb = more sold pb = more quality apps then it is worth to spend time writing email to skype..
    Last edited by bitek; 01-13-12 at 02:09 PM.
    01-13-12 02:05 PM
    Hi,

Please correct me if I am wrong but can you not use webex natively in the playbook browser?

As for Skype I have a lot of success with the mobile site solution at imo.im.

The only reason the Android and iOS devices require further development from the vendors is that they cannot natively support the protocols and platforms they run, the vast majority of the "apps" are just reworked versions of the website tools to overcome the shortcomings of the native device browser.

Cheers

Lionel
    02-20-12 03:17 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD