Seems a couple more fixes are on the way Thanks especially for addressing the bookmark issue. Really hope you add the ability to use the actual bookmarks in the pdf "file" (instead of the current system) in a not so far release.

On the highlighting /annotation plans maybe Xournal code can provide some help / clues (it's GPL but afaik the code can be used for learning purposes as long as it isn't "transplanted" into the proprietary app... but you would know this better than a layman). It accomplishes the job by loading the pdf file as a background and overlaying the annotations (could be a possible stepping stone solution... like the current bookmark system).
    Last edited by joaosousa; 11-15-12 at 12:59 PM.
    11-15-12 12:34 PM
    Seems a couple more fixes are on the way Thanks especially for addressing the bookmark issue. Really hope you add the ability to use the actual bookmarks in the pdf "file" (instead of the current system) in a not so far release.

On the highlighting /annotation plans maybe Xournal code can provide some help / clues (it's GPL but afaik the code can be used for learning purposes as long as it isn't "transplanted" into the proprietary app... but you would know this better than a layman). It accomplishes the job by loading the pdf file as a background and overlaying the annotations (could be a possible stepping stone solution... like the current bookmark system).
    Do you have an example PDF with user-embedded bookmarks I can test with? The documentation I have seen refers to such bookmarks as an outline which Pdf Reader already supports.

Nic
    11-15-12 03:02 PM
    I plan to add this back in the next release. Does Pdf Reader also need a view-a-page-at-a-time mode or will the current view plus a way to go the next/previous page be enough?
    That's fantastic!

I'm not sure what you mean by view-a-page-at-a-time mode, but I think the current view plus go to next/previous page should be enough for me.

Thank you very much for you support and dedication.
    11-15-12 04:09 PM
    One minor wish I'd have is, when handling a pdf document with internal connections (like, a publication with links to figures possibly on the next page), currently PDF Reader indeed correctly follows the internal link when clicked (which is great and should be advertised as already better than the basic Adobe app!), but then shows the beginning of the related page instead of 'offseting' it to the actual referred object (like, the figure in my example).

One improvement, that'd save a drag on the window, would be to actually show the right 'figure', in the page with the correct offset.
    This is a minor* wish, and should not be considered urgent or critical, at least IMHO.

On the other hand, having a quick way to go back to the previous page would definitely be more interesting (again in my example: reading publication text, click on image link, see image, click somehow in a simple way to skip back to where I was just before activating the internal link. I understand the "back" button already does this: having a gesture for it is almost exactly what I wish)...

H.

(*) some here find it more important apparently still
    Last edited by Herve5; 11-16-12 at 08:28 AM.
    11-16-12 03:53 AM
    Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late answer... Currently swamped with work.

Download this zip. I included a pdf where I added bookmarks using Foxit Reader 4.1 (in my PC), the original pdf file and the bookmarks I created (and exported) using Pdf Reader. Inside are also some screenshots (with descriptions) related to some bugs in this build.
    11-27-12 09:37 AM
    Thank you for the example. As I expected, the bookmarks you created in FoxIt show up in Pdf Reader using the Table of Contents (TOC) button. Just open the FoxIt-edited PDF in Pdf Reader and press the TOC button the menu. If the resulting list is not the bookmarks you created, please let me know.
    As for the 2 bookmark bugs, I had already been notified of the extra space and had fixed it but I was still working on getting the format to look better. Using your bookmarks was helpful in ensuring that the bookmarks are aligned properly.

Thanks again for sharing!

Nic
    11-27-12 10:16 PM
    I didn't even notice the TCO button I missed them! I suggest moving the TCO button next to the bookmark (not the mag glass).

Foxit Reader treats "bookmarks" and "table of contents" as the same thing so that's why I missed it. Anyway when I wrote about using the Foxit behaviour I think I also meant the ability to save bookmarks as TCO (and edit them).

PS: How would you feel about displaying the bookmark list as you do with the TCO?
    11-28-12 01:39 PM
    One minor wish I'd have is, when handling a pdf document with internal connections (like, a publication with links to figures possibly on the next page), currently PDF Reader indeed correctly follows the internal link when clicked (which is great and should be advertised as already better than the basic Adobe app!), but then shows the beginning of the related page instead of 'offseting' it to the actual referred object (like, the figure in my example).

One improvement, that'd save a drag on the window, would be to actually show the right 'figure', in the page with the correct offset.
    This is a minor* wish, and should not be considered urgent or critical, at least IMHO.

On the other hand, having a quick way to go back to the previous page would definitely be more interesting (again in my example: reading publication text, click on image link, see image, click somehow in a simple way to skip back to where I was just before activating the internal link. I understand the "back" button already does this: having a gesture for it is almost exactly what I wish)...

H.

(*) some here find it more important apparently still
    Do you have an example PDF exhibiting this issue that you can send me? Please describe the link you are selecting and where it should take you. I am working on the final touches/testing for the next update I would like to include a fix for this if I can.

Thanks
    Nic
    12-04-12 02:01 PM
    I didn't even notice the TCO button I missed them! I suggest moving the TCO button next to the bookmark (not the mag glass).

Foxit Reader treats "bookmarks" and "table of contents" as the same thing so that's why I missed it. Anyway when I wrote about using the Foxit behaviour I think I also meant the ability to save bookmarks as TCO (and edit them).

PS: How would you feel about displaying the bookmark list as you do with the TCO?
    I will look into editing the Table of Contents in a future release. Same goes for a setting for changing the view of the bookmarks (although if I figure out the former it would not include images and therefore make the latter unnecessary).

Thanks
    12-04-12 02:03 PM
    3 more suggestions:

1- Horizontal scroll! I came across a gyn-obs protocols book where each pdf page has 2 book pages side by side... Sometimes I need to zoom but then I can't scroll laterally.
    2- A "stop" button for the "searching..." window so one can cancel a progressing search.
    3- Create a seach index with a link to each result (maybe the seach UI would need an overall)

And thanks for all of the updates so far!
    Last edited by joaosousa; 01-11-13 at 12:32 PM.
    01-11-13 11:58 AM
    3 more suggestions:

1- Horizontal scroll! I came across a gyn-obs protocols book where each pdf page has 2 book pages side by side... Sometimes I need to zoom but then I can't scroll laterally.
    2- A "stop" button for the "searching..." window so one can cancel a progressing search.
    3- Create a seach index with a link to each result (maybe the seach UI would need an overall)

And thanks for all of the updates so far!
    I am work on #2 and #3 but I am not sure about #1. When viewing a PDF that is too large for the screen you can scroll both vertically and horizontally has needed. If you can, please send me the PDF in question so I can attempt to find the problem.

Thanks
    Nic
    01-11-13 12:55 PM
    Just tested the new release and seems the horizontal scroll issue is still there... I found it only happens if the "Continuous Scroll" option is selected!

To reproduce:
    1- Open a Pdf where the pages width is bigger than height (the one I sent you in the PM will work).
    2- Make sure "Continuous scroll" is ticked.
    3- Zoom up in such a way the page width is bigger than the screen width (300% with the above file)
    4- Try pan/scroll the page horizontally to read the rest of the page (you won't be able to view what's on the right)
    01-16-13 12:32 PM
    Just tested the new release and seems the horizontal scroll issue is still there... I found it only happens if the "Continuous Scroll" option is selected!

To reproduce:
    1- Open a Pdf where the pages width is bigger than height (the one I sent you in the PM will work).
    2- Make sure "Continuous scroll" is ticked.
    3- Zoom up in such a way the page width is bigger than the screen width (300% with the above file)
    4- Try pan/scroll the page horizontally to read the rest of the page (you won't be able to view what's on the right)
    My apologies, I had not seen the private message before I released an update. I have downloaded the PDF and experienced the same issue. The actual problem is that page size is only determined by the first page. In the PDF you sent me the first page has a width less than that off all of the rest of the pages, except the last which is just like the first. I had originally done this for performance reasons but I will look into this and come up with a solution.

Thanks
    Nic
    01-16-13 01:06 PM
    No need to apolagise (I also miss the forum notifications many times).
    Thank you for the continued and swift support!
    01-16-13 04:11 PM
    This app is awesome. Should be 2 dollars.
    01-16-13 04:18 PM
    To this day, I still find this PDF Reader to be the best one on the playbook, particularly with its constant improvements and new features. However, there still appears to be one issue, particularly when reading technical documents. It seems that it does not handle some of the fonts that are embedded into the document (Particularly symbols). Surprisingly, the default Adobe Reader manages it pretty well!

Could the developer please look into this issue? Thank you so much for all your efforts.

I've attached screenshots of the document rendered by both Adobe Reader and by PDF Reader. If you need the pdf itself, please let me know.
    Adobe Reader:
    PDF Reader?-adobe-reader.jpg

PDF Reader:
    PDF Reader?-pdf-reader.jpg
    02-23-13 05:49 AM
    NIce update this morning. I hope this comes to BB10 because the Adobe reader still is under-featured.
    02-23-13 07:10 AM
    To this day, I still find this PDF Reader to be the best one on the playbook, particularly with its constant improvements and new features. However, there still appears to be one issue, particularly when reading technical documents. It seems that it does not handle some of the fonts that are embedded into the document (Particularly symbols). Surprisingly, the default Adobe Reader manages it pretty well!

Could the developer please look into this issue? Thank you so much for all your efforts.

I've attached screenshots of the document rendered by both Adobe Reader and by PDF Reader. If you need the pdf itself, please let me know.
    Adobe Reader:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adobe Reader.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	137377

PDF Reader:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDF Reader.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	137378
    Thank you for taking the time to point this out! I will need the PDF (or at least a PDF with just this page) so I can ensure that I completely fix the problem.

Thanks
    Nic
    AceRoom likes this.
    02-25-13 10:52 AM
    NIce update this morning. I hope this comes to BB10 because the Adobe reader still is under-featured.
    I would like to brings this to the Z10 but I would like some volunteers to help with testing. I only have the simulator and would rather not release an app that hasn't been tested on a real device. If anyone is interested, you can contact me via a PM. I will need your BlackBerry ID so I can add it to my sandbox in App World. As was discovered with the CrackBerry App, I can only have 25 users in my sandbox.

Thanks
    Nic
    02-25-13 01:04 PM
    Sent you the link to the pdf by PM.

Thanks
    02-26-13 04:16 AM
    Sent you the link to the pdf by PM.

Thanks
    Thank you for the file. The problem is that the font is the Symbol font which is neither embedded in the PDF nor present on the PlayBook. I am looking for a fix.

Nic
    Herve5 likes this.
    02-26-13 10:57 AM
    Thank you for the file. The problem is that the font is the Symbol font which is neither embedded in the PDF nor present on the PlayBook. I am looking for a fix.
    Nic
    Thanks for this, indeed I too think it is quite important. And while this probably means doing like Adobe (incorporating a Symbol font within the app) I'm not sure Symbol itself is free of rights.
    If it isn't, then there still is the possibility to replace it with an open-source equivalent (the kind of thing one should find around Linux distributions presumably).
    What I don't know is how BB10 deals with additional fonts (compared to the current OS which just forbids touching his). There may be a way to be the first app to 'set a standard' here, if e. g. you define an external folder that gathers any user-supplied new fonts and yours...
    02-27-13 06:56 AM
    Thanks for the update! The old zoom issues I experienced seem to be solved. A small bug was introduced though:
    1- Use this file or this file (doesn't affect all pdf files.. not sure what causes this)
    2- Double tap to zoom in a vertical page (only tried in landscape)
    3- You will notice the grey area in the right margin (the zoom size is correct... the page is only in an off location)

Also some suggestions for the future updates (some may be recaps):
    a) Search improvements:
    1- "Stop" button while a search is in progress
    2- Search "index" with links to all the matches
    3- Allow usage of the system keyboard autocomplete feature while typing in the search box
    4- Automatically highlight the text in the search box (if present) when doing a new search (the current behaviour is one needs to erase the last search term)

b) Small UI improvements
    1- Use the empty space in the "Open" screen
    2- Move the "Trash bin" next to the open button

c) (Pseudo) Multiple opened pdf at the same time
    1- Can be done with only one file really opened at a time (I'm taking having more than one would consume too much resources)
    2- Tabbed UI (similar to the PB web browser... maybe minus the thumbnail preview) to allow quickly change between files (slightly speeds up consulting different docs and avoids the need to use Adobe Reader or any other alternative)
    3- My take on this would be to have temporary bookmarks (page number and position)... When you change tabs the positions in the first doc is saved an the other is opened (in the temporary bookmark if it was already open)
    Last edited by joaosousa; 02-28-13 at 02:17 AM.
    Herve5 likes this.
    02-27-13 07:07 PM
    Thanks for the update! The old zoom issues I experienced seem to be solved. A small bug was introduced though:
    1- Use this file or this file (doesn't affect all pdf files.. not sure what causes this)
    2- Double tap to zoom in a vertical page (only tried in landscape)
    3- You will notice the grey area in the right margin (the zoom size is correct... the page is only in an off location)

Also some suggestions for the future updates (some may be recaps):
    a) Search improvements:
    1- "Stop" button while a search is in progress
    2- Search "index" with links to all the matches
    3- Allow usage of the system keyboard autocomplete feature while typing in the search box
    4- Automatically highlight the text in the search box (if present) when doing a new search (the current behaviour is one needs to erase the last search term)

b) Small UI improvements
    1- Use the empty space in the "Open" screen
    2- Move the "Trash bin" next to the open button

c) (Pseudo) Multiple opened pdf at the same time
    1- Can be done with only one file really opened at a time (I'm taking having more than one would consume too much resources)
    2- Tabbed UI (similar to the PB web browser... maybe minus the thumbnail preview) to allow quickly change between files (slightly speeds up consulting different docs and avoids the need to use Adobe Reader or any other alternative)
    3- My take on this would be to have temporary bookmarks (page number and position)... When you change tabs the positions in the first doc is saved an the other is opened (in the temporary bookmark if it was already open)
    Thanks for the feedback!

For the grey area on the right, the problem is that pages later in the PDF are in landscape while the earlier pages are in portrait. The grey background is wide enough for all of the pages to fit. Only fix I can think of is to lock horizontal scrolling if the page fits or lock scrolling to the width of what is currently on the screen.

Search: 1,2,4 will be in the next release. I am looking into 3 but I can't find a way to show predictions.

UI: The space should have been used but there was an error in the code. Of course by default the app only shows the last 10 PDFs so all of the space will not be used. Only solution there would be to make each row higher. May play around with that. As for your other suggestions, how about this. In that case, do we remove the ability to open a PDF by simply selecting it? Or does each one of the options become a toggle button (like the trash button was before) and after selecting one you select a file to perform the given action?

Multiple PDFs: Interesting ideas, something I will look into.

Thanks
    Nic
    02-28-13 04:01 PM
    Thanks for the feedback!

For the grey area on the right, the problem is that pages later in the PDF are in landscape while the earlier pages are in portrait. The grey background is wide enough for all of the pages to fit. Only fix I can think of is to lock horizontal scrolling if the page fits or lock scrolling to the width of what is currently on the screen.

Search: 1,2,4 will be in the next release. I am looking into 3 but I can't find a way to show predictions.

UI: The space should have been used but there was an error in the code. Of course by default the app only shows the last 10 PDFs so all of the space will not be used. Only solution there would be to make each row higher. May play around with that. As for your other suggestions, how about this. In that case, do we remove the ability to open a PDF by simply selecting it? Or does each one of the options become a toggle button (like the trash button was before) and after selecting one you select a file to perform the given action?

Multiple PDFs: Interesting ideas, something I will look into.

Thanks
    Nic
    Also visual improvements on the help page. Can be made to look more elegant. Buttons are too large on the help page.
    02-28-13 04:44 PM
200 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD