It was a thrill to read today's press release from RIM about the "unveiling" of OS 2.0 at CES.
    But there was no mention of running Android apps, or even a hint of the capability without mentioning the "A" name. Does that mean anything - delay or otherwise?
    01-09-12 07:46 PM
    quote-New Apps and Content:-- Your favorite apps plus thousands more -
    I think that was their way of mentioning it without saying the A word.
    glassofpinot and travaz like this.
    01-09-12 07:50 PM
    When RIM launched the PB and OS 1.0, do you think they had any idea that the release of 2.0 might be one of the most awaited "version" releases (not a product release) outside of maybe some of the MS or MS Office?
    (side thought)
    01-09-12 07:54 PM
    You need to brace yourself for the fact that while yes we will be getting alot more apps we will likely be missing the one or two that you are really wishing for.
    01-09-12 07:55 PM
    Ive seen a few answers to this - once they are converted they are no longer android apps, and also the android people would be all over them about the pureness of the apps.. and the limited number that will work on the player and native hardware. And the android marketplace will not be open to playbook, the apps have to be converted.

Not good to propagate false impressions at this time.

Or maybe they don't want to promote the A name -
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-09-12 at 08:03 PM.
    glassofpinot and AggreX like this.
    01-09-12 08:01 PM
    I think the PB will become the sleeper of the year. At the ATT hackathon 2 of the top three finalast chose the PB to develope an app. The winner was a PB app. I think we might see a swell in interest. Maybe the way back for RIM will be the PB leading an interest back to the Phones and BB 10
    01-09-12 08:02 PM
    i think a better question is why would RIM shoot themselves in the foot? RIM has their own appworld, android their own market, and apple their own appstore. The playbook is not an android emu, its a standalone device with marketable capabilities. Developers BETA are meant for devs and not end users, it's a means to enable developers to sell their code via two application stores. RIM could make a compiler that takes apple code and compiles it for BB10 devices if they wanted. But it doesn't matter-- what matters is that it is easier for devs to export code with min changes, quicker beta period, and then take advantage of selling the apps to you twice. Once for your android phone and another time for your PB.
    01-09-12 08:15 PM
    It has been mentioned many times before that OS2 will play Android apps which are converted to PlayBook apps.

When you download those apps, you won't know that you are running an app that started out on Android. You also, will NOT be able to download any old Android app from the Android Market.
    hpjrt likes this.
    01-09-12 08:22 PM
    There is a very real possibility that the android app player will not be ready by the release of 2.0.

Yea, I do know that the long range plan is to not refer to them as android apps, but lets face it, advertising android compatibility is an enormous selling point and if it were going to be available with 2.0, they would say as much.

I stick with my original synopsis... that 2.0 has shaped up to be more about business and corporate users, not private consumers. Just look at the list of features included.
    01-09-12 08:25 PM
    Ive seen a few answers to this - once they are converted they are no longer android apps, and also the android people would be all over them about the pureness of the apps.. and the limited number that will work on the player and native hardware. And the android marketplace will not be open to playbook, the apps have to be converted.

You are correct BJ. You will notice that RIM didn't give special attention to Native apps or Air 3.0 apps although these are also new with OS2.. There are currently four different flavours of "real" PB apps (i.e. full citizens of the BlackBerry 10 ecosystem):

1. Android apps generated by the Android compiler packaged with a RIM SDK
    2. Native C++ apps compiled and packaged with a RIM SDK
    3. Adobe Air (Flash) apps compiled and packaged with the Adobe AIR SDK with RIM extensions
    4. HTML5/Air hybrid apps packaged with RIM's Webworkd SDK
    spike12 and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-09-12 10:06 PM

I think it's kind of all of the above. I'd certainly be EXTREMELY surprised (and disappointed) if the Android Player was somehow dropped at the last minute; it works very, very well in the preview.

Given some of RIM's gaffes of the past few months, it's also possible that they were concerned that if they mentioned Android compatibility by any means that Google would fire back and say "no it doesn't!!". Not to mention, it won't do Android 3.0 AT ALL, so there may have been a concern that drawing attention to Android at all could easily backfire.

All in all, I honestly wasn't so worried about that missing in the announcement today. A2DP wasn't in the announcement, either, but we know it's there.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    01-09-12 10:15 PM
    I stick with my original synopsis... that 2.0 has shaped up to be more about business and corporate users, not private consumers. Just look at the list of features included.
    Soooo, the social and media features don't appeal to consumers?

Seriously, the Android Player will be there. Really.
    01-09-12 10:17 PM
    There is a very real possibility that the android app player will not be ready by the release of 2.0.

Yea, I do know that the long range plan is to not refer to them as android apps, but lets face it, advertising android compatibility is an enormous selling point and if it were going to be available with 2.0, they would say as much.

This would come as a complete shock to the authors of the many Android-based apps currently visible to OS 2.0 beta users when they browse App World on their devices. I just downloaded the BBC News app and it ran very nicely in the player. I don't think for a moment that RIM plans to rip the Android player out of the OS just to make your prediction come true.
    01-09-12 10:17 PM
    Drop the speculation about the Android player maybe being left out or whatever.

From a Reuters article about CES and RIM's press release: "The Android advance - which RIM did not highlight in a statement but did confirm later - may be the most popular feature with consumers wary of a dearth of apps for the next-generation software, which will also run RIM's future phones."

Can we move on finally?
    01-09-12 10:21 PM
    Apps, apps, apps...I just don't see the real need with the awesome internet functionality.
    01-09-12 10:23 PM
    Visit our BlackBerry Booth at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas! �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0

We’ll also be previewing many of the features of BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0, which offers an advanced messaging experience, deep integration of social relationships, powerful pairing functionality between BlackBerry smartphones and PlayBook tablets, improved mobile productivity, and of course, new apps and content – including support for the Android App Player within the OS. To learn more, check out the press release on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0, and keep an eye on the Inside BlackBerry Blog where we’ll be showcasing a few videos and diving a little deeper on PlayBook OS 2.0 throughout the week.
    There, everybody calm down.
    Thunderbuck and PatrickMJS like this.
    01-09-12 10:43 PM
    i think a better question is why would RIM shoot themselves in the foot? RIM has their own appworld, android their own market, and apple their own appstore. The playbook is not an android emu, its a standalone device with marketable capabilities. Developers BETA are meant for devs and not end users, it's a means to enable developers to sell their code via two application stores. RIM could make a compiler that takes apple code and compiles it for BB10 devices if they wanted. But it doesn't matter-- what matters is that it is easier for devs to export code with min changes, quicker beta period, and then take advantage of selling the apps to you twice. Once for your android phone and another time for your PB.
    RIM already shot themselves in the foot. There is no viable eccosystem/app market. Why do you think people are wanting to run android apps? Its because of the 9 months and on going app market we have.. is why..
    01-09-12 10:56 PM
    RIM already shot themselves in the foot. There is no viable eccosystem/app market. Why do you think people are wanting to run android apps? Its because of the 9 months and on going app market we have.. is why..
    So you will be happy when it can run Android apps as well as the almost 10,000 Playbook apps, plus all the Flash games and apps it can run? Great! Glad to hear it!
    PatrickMJS and spike12 like this.
    01-09-12 11:15 PM
    all it needs is netflix & skype period
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-09-12 11:31 PM
    Actually RIM shot itself in the head, hence the $15 per share price. It's on life support and hence cannot risk any more damage-- to the foot or otherwise.
    01-10-12 12:04 AM
    I satisfy with what RIM Press release said. That's all I need to support my daily activity. I can use PB as a screen and my BB HH for the virtual keyboard.

about the application, it is glad to hear that zinio will be available for playbook. I love this application.

can't wait till Feb for installing official O.S 2.0 at my PB
    01-10-12 12:27 AM
    lmao - whatever this is.
    01-10-12 12:28 AM
    Icant read anymore of this ... *red x*
    01-10-12 01:15 AM
    folks. please see the BlackBerry web site. There is mention of Android apps from AppWorld. Don't worry. it is coming.
    01-10-12 05:02 PM
    I don't need any stinking android apps infecting my PB. Just give me native.
    01-10-12 05:06 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD