CherryNotes for BBOS and PlayBook

The text editor for everyone that lives in the cloud but wants control over local and cloud text files.

The text editor of your dreams is here. With CherryNotes you can easily manage your notes and select which ones will get synced to the cloud and which ones should stay local. With one click you back up notes to the cloud and with another click bring any note from the cloud back to your device, and all the notes that are on both locations get synced effortlessly.

As a multitasker I always wanted a text editor that let me keep notes on the device but at the same time sync some of them with a cloud storage solution. After a year looking for the perfect app I couldn't find it, so I decided to build my own, that's how CherryNotes was invented.

If you like the app you can support the developer by writing a BlackBerry World review
    Download
    [PB/BB10] CherryNotes - The text editor of your dreams is here-gutfd.png

Changelog

• Fixes a bug that was causing the app to freeze when a new user logged to Dropbox and went to the Dropbox tab immediately

• Added a button to contact the developer
      • Added a button to report crashes to the developer
      • Added a dialog to confirm the deletion of a note
      • Links in the Markdown view now open in the Browser

• Fixed all Dropbox-related issues
      • Implemented sorting for BBOS and BB10

• Added support for BBOS
      • Fixed the note creation bug that made a error dialog appear if auto-sorting was disabled
      • Added a wait dialog while the application is getting the Dropbox authentication page
      • Added a notification when the app logs out of Dropbox

• Fixed the PlayBook selection/copy/paste dialog

• Fixed the list changing lock bug
      • Added notes sorting
      • Added a settings screen
      • Improved the Dropbox loading information

• Added the ability to search notes
      • Improved the Dropbox error messages
      • Added Markdown view for PlayBook

• Fixed the loading spiral bug when returning from a Dropbox note in BB10
      • Fixed the note syncing bug for BB10
      • Added a alert while switching tabs on PlayBook
      • Hidding the editor while switching tabs on PlayBook

• Added BlackBerry 10 support
      • Minor bug fixes

• Initial release, PlayBook-only
    Attached Thumbnails [PB/BB10] CherryNotes - The text editor of your dreams is here-tsfsmkf.jpg  
    Last edited by nathanpc; 07-17-13 at 06:57 PM. Reason: 1.5.3
    12-10-12 07:39 AM
    Hey, I was wondering how you got the dropbox integration to work? I am currently making a BlackBerry 10 application also and I could only get bbm to work.
    12-10-12 08:36 AM
    It's a WebWorks application so I used the official DropBox Javascript API.
    ingeniumed likes this.
    12-10-12 08:49 AM
    Using QRScanner: Error: couldn't resolve the host name

Searching in App World: "CherryNotes" or "Cherry Notes" nothing found
    12-10-12 11:15 AM
    If you click the QR Code you'll go to the App World page, I'll look at the QR Code URL, anyway here's the link: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...tent/19964625/

I've been talking to RIM about that problem, you can search for it everywhere and it will work, but the App World web site.
    12-10-12 11:25 AM
    Better than groovynotes?
    12-10-12 02:40 PM
    Better than groovynotes?
    They are different apps for different needs. Groovy Notes is more like a agenda, CherryNotes is a note taking application for people that want control over their files.
    12-10-12 02:49 PM
    Just looking for more clarity: Are these "NOTES" actually, SEPARATE TXT files? Or are they all linked together in the app? In other words, when I create say, Note1, is it a separate File from Note2? Or are they all stored in one file?
    12-10-12 05:13 PM
    Just looking for more clarity: Are these "NOTES" actually, SEPARATE TXT files? Or are they all linked together in the app? In other words, when I create say, Note1, is it a separate File from Note2? Or are they all stored in one file?
    It's a separate file, that's why they can easily sync with Dropbox.
    12-10-12 06:59 PM
    Limited set of users can receive access tokens while app in development mode. Something like this message came up when trying to authenticate with dropbox. Really looking forward to seeing this app being developed further
    nathanpc likes this.
    12-10-12 07:42 PM
    Limited set of users can receive access tokens while app in development mode. Something like this message came up when trying to authenticate with dropbox. Really looking forward to seeing this app being developed further
    I'm extremely sorry for this. 2 friends reported the same issue 10 minutes after I published the post, and it happened because in the craziness of fixing all the final bugs, polishing the interface and making sure both versions (PlayBook and BB10) were perfect together I forgot to change the Dropbox status in my developer console to production, the problem is that now I have to wait for Dropbox to approve the app. I've already sent an email to Dropbox right after I received the first report and I'm still waiting for the response.

I'm sorry for this issue, developing a app for a month and forgetting a little thing right at the end is extremely frustrating. I'm asking for everyone receiving this issue to not rate the application with 1 star because of this and to wait until I can get Dropbox to approve it.

I'll keep everyone informed.
    12-10-12 07:57 PM
    No worries totally understandable I'll wait for the updates. Pretty sure that I will be making good use of this app.
    12-10-12 08:04 PM
    No worries totally understandable I'll wait for the updates. Pretty sure that I will be making good use of this app.
    I want to say that exactly at this moment I just received an email from Dropbox saying that they approved the app. Thanks very much for the wait and also thank Dropbox for their awesome support team.
    12-10-12 08:14 PM
    LOL awesome!
    12-10-12 08:31 PM
    Hi! I really like this idea nathanpc should definitely come in handy once school starts, only thing I'd definitely like to see is a bit more availability of what cloud you can use, personally I use box instead of dropbox, but I do know there are other people out there that use google, sugar sync, skidrive, starred, etc... All in all this would definitely take this already great application to the next level, now what are you waiting for people DOWNLOAD
    nathanpc likes this.
    12-11-12 12:39 AM
    Better than groovynotes?
    There is just no comparison with GroovyNotes (which, also, is four times costlier). GroovyNotes handles attachments to the notes (images, voice recordings, sketches), has separate categories, an indexed search capacity (which means you'll find back quickly a word in 1000 notes -in contrast, a multiple-text-file-based app like cherrynotes just cannot index and probably will slow proportionate to the number of notes).
    Cherrynotes rather compares with the large list of "grocery notes" apps. It has an extremely minimal feature set and will have a hard time indeed against free 'listers', some of them very elaborate like 'My Grocery Book' or 'Do'. Its advantage anyhow lies in its actual weakness: text files --you'll always be capable to get them back, any time in the future, on any machine: this, is valueable, and very few others allow it (groovyNotes does )
    And the cloud backup, well, everyone loves private cloud backups apparently nowadays. I for one would welcome an actual ftp backup, for ftp doesn't link you to any 'big brother', and mostly everyone has an unused ftp capacity coming with its ISP contract...
    nathanpc likes this.
    12-11-12 03:52 AM
    Hi! I really like this idea nathanpc should definitely come in handy once school starts, only thing I'd definitely like to see is a bit more availability of what cloud you can use, personally I use box instead of dropbox, but I do know there are other people out there that use google, sugar sync, skidrive, starred, etc... All in all this would definitely take this already great application to the next level, now what are you waiting for people DOWNLOAD
    That is one of the things on my TODO list for the next releases. I want to integrate more with other services.

There is just no comparison with GroovyNotes (which, also, is four times costlier). GroovyNotes handles attachments to the notes (images, voice recordings, sketches), has separate categories, an indexed search capacity (which means you'll find back quickly a word in 1000 notes -in contrast, a multiple-text-file-based app like cherrynotes just cannot index and probably will slow proportionate to the number of notes).
    Cherrynotes rather compares with the large list of "grocery notes" apps. It has an extremely minimal feature set and will have a hard time indeed against free 'listers', some of them very elaborate like 'My Grocery Book' or 'Do'. Its advantage anyhow lies in its actual weakness: text files --you'll always be capable to get them back, any time in the future, on any machine: this, is valueable, and very few others allow it (groovyNotes does )
    And the cloud backup, well, everyone loves private cloud backups apparently nowadays. I for one would welcome an actual ftp backup, for ftp doesn't link you to any 'big brother', and mostly everyone has an unused ftp capacity coming with its ISP contract...
    No problem, I can implement FTP support, but that will come later since now I want to focus on fixing bugs and integrating with other cloud solutions. I want FTP support too since it will be a lot easier for me to move notes on my LAN.
    12-11-12 07:12 AM
    Is this app Paid of Free ? Can't find this app in the Appworld , and the link (posted above) is dead...
    12-11-12 03:14 PM
    Is this app Paid of Free ? Can't find this app in the Appworld , and the link (posted above) is dead...
    Both links are working for me (haven't checked the QR Code). It's a paid app, 0.99 USD.
    12-11-12 03:30 PM
    Just a quick update for everyone that couldn't find the application in the App World web site. I got a response from RIM about the issue and they said it's because there's a bug in their web site that is preventing applications that support full-touch BlackBerry 10 from showing up. They said a fix will be live later this week.
    12-12-12 11:53 AM
    Just a quick update for everyone that couldn't find the application in the App World web site. I got a response from RIM about the issue and they said it's because there's a bug in their web site that is preventing applications that support full-touch BlackBerry 10 from showing up. They said a fix will be live later this week.
    Nathan - love that you are blazing trails. When you are releasing apps that create problems that RIM has to address that means progress is occurring. Nice to see them responding to you and nice to see you keeping users informed here. Keep that up - the devs who are active here, connect with users, and pitch in "outside" their app's threads seem to enjoy a loyal CrackBerry fanbase.

I will be checking out your app - and your signature links.
    nathanpc likes this.
    12-12-12 12:04 PM
    Thanks very much for your tips and encouraging words. I also want to say that I'm preparing the "search" feature to be included in the next update. I'm currently polishing it in the PlayBook version and as soon as finish this I'll be porting the code to the BlackBerry 10 version.

A preview of the search feature:
    Last edited by nathanpc; 12-12-12 at 01:23 PM.
    12-12-12 12:27 PM
    Can this app open other plain ascii TXT files that I might have on my pb?
    12-12-12 03:24 PM
    With this current version you can't, but I'm going to implement that for the next release.

Update: I've just finished implementing and testing the search feature, now I'll start working on the import stuff, which might take a while since you need to combine several APIs to make it work properly.
    Last edited by nathanpc; 12-12-12 at 04:43 PM.
    12-12-12 03:59 PM
    With this current version you can't, but I'm going to implement that for the next release.

Update: I've just finished implementing and testing the search feature, now I'll start working on the import stuff, which might take a while since you need to combine several APIs to make it work properly.
    That would be nice. Import and EXPORT??
    12-12-12 05:12 PM
72 123