This is a shocking statistic, 22% of all paid appworld downloads are on the PlayBook. This is fantastic news for future development on BB10.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-29-12 at 10:06 PM.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-29-12 10:04 PM
    That is really cool. I guess with all the money we saved on the playbook we can afford to buy a few apps.
    02-29-12 10:20 PM
    That is really cool. I guess with all the money we saved on the playbook we can afford to buy a few apps.
    Could be, it should show the potential of the new platform to dev's interested in making some cash.
    03-01-12 11:49 PM
    I'm sure the percentage is a little higher then that by now. Notice the date is during the fire sale. Now that there's more apps choices and owners I can see app sales are going to continue growing. Cheers to RIM.
    03-01-12 11:54 PM
    More of this news please! hehe

I'm sure once more and more steam picks up, more and more devs will bring their apps over to this platform. Of coarse with Apple and Android around, things will not be easy, but competition is good for consumers like us.
    03-02-12 01:07 AM
    You have to take into consideration that there are A LOT more free apps for the phones and even something as a file browser or epub reader are paid apps on the PB.

So, although I think those numbers are right... it doesnt really mean that much to me bc the PB owners are sort of forced to spending the $1 on an app that usually would be free with iOS or Android. (This is not a complaint, im just stating the facts)
    03-02-12 01:14 AM
    So, although I think those numbers are right... it doesnt really mean that much to me bc the PB owners are sort of forced to spending the $1 on an app that usually would be free with iOS or Android. (This is not a complaint, im just stating the facts)
    ...free...with ads
    03-02-12 01:57 AM
    That number doesn't mean much to me. I assume it means that the PB had 22% of the paid app sales from Blackberry's app store, with Blackberry phones making up for the remaining 78% of paid downloads. Do Blackberry phone users (not me) typically pay for many apps? A more meaningful number would be a comparison of downloads for the PB vs. the Apple and android tablets.
    03-02-12 03:35 AM
    You have to take into consideration that there are A LOT more free apps for the phones and even something as a file browser or epub reader are paid apps on the PB.

If PB owners are buying apps, dev's will come
    03-02-12 04:51 AM
    This could also mean that PlayBook owners have to wipe their devices and reload their apps more often than phone owners.

For paid apps, RIM could give more "honest" numbers, such as the number of app sales rather than the number of app downloads. Even for free apps, I'm sure RIM has a good idea when a PlayBook is reloading an app rather than downloading it for the first time.

In my opinion, this is the kind of "weasel talk" that ends up hurting RIM's image.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-02-12 05:59 AM
    This could also mean that PlayBook owners have to wipe their devices and reload their apps more often than phone owners.

For paid apps, RIM could give more "honest" numbers, such as the number of app sales rather than the number of app downloads. Even for free apps, I'm sure RIM has a good idea when a PlayBook is reloading an app rather than downloading it for the first time.

In my opinion, this is the kind of "weasel talk" that ends up hurting RIM's image.
    Takes one to know one
    We'll just take your word for it then.
    Im sure they know the difference as well.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-02-12 at 06:33 AM.
    03-02-12 06:11 AM
    If PB owners are buying apps, dev's will come
    Not necessarily. And Apple World is so small and the state of apps so primitive on BBs, that it's hard to extrapolate anything from those numbers.

If you ask any professional development houses, very few of them have plans to develop for the Playbook /BB10. The market is just too small right now, and platform too immature.

There are more Android devices activated in two-three days, than all of the Playbook sales combined since it was released.
    03-02-12 06:16 AM
    Humm how many phones are out compared to PB's? Impressive even if we are buying file managers.
    03-02-12 06:19 AM
    Downloads versus actual sales is an important distinction, given that I've security wiped my own PB twice since 2.0 came out.

RIM should tell us straight total sales, no spin. We would all trust them more for it.
    03-02-12 06:23 AM
    truthfully i've never bought a BB application/game, but I have bought a ton of playbook apps/games
    03-02-12 06:30 AM
    truthfully i've never bought a BB application/game, but I have bought a ton of playbook apps/games
    Currently 800+ BB phones here at work and we don't want a single one to have more than the pre-loaded app and the business app. I am guessing there are plenty of other businesses that prefer people not load games and such on the phones.

Now, private ownership and the PlayBook, that's a different pizza all together.
    03-02-12 06:41 AM
    Not necessarily. And Apple World is so small and the state of apps so primitive on BBs, that it's hard to extrapolate anything from those numbers.

If you ask any professional development houses, very few of them have plans to develop for the Playbook /BB10. The market is just too small right now, and platform too immature.

There are more Android devices activated in two-three days, than all of the Playbook sales combined since it was released.
    Transportation, medical, Internet, military, space science, nuclear are just some of the industries currently utilizing QNX design! Have you ever heard of lateral integration?
    There's so much room in a market that will possibly double in 2 years for RIM its not funny. It's not just phones anymore friend!
    The ones that are smart enough and establish early will win big in the end.

Simply Google QNX customers. Have a look! Yet you'll have us believe there's no future in it.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-02-12 at 06:56 AM.
    03-02-12 06:46 AM
    Here is some more evidence that PB app sales are better than you might think. Scanning the top 100, there is a disproportionately high ratio of PB apps/games vs offerings for BB smartphones. This site presents real -time rankings for actual sales (not downloads):

Top 100 Paid and Free BlackBerry Applications
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    03-02-12 07:37 AM
    I've bought numerous PB apps and have never bought a single phone app.
    03-02-12 08:12 AM
    Transportation, medical, Internet, military, space science, nuclear are just some of the industries currently utilizing QNX design! Have you ever heard of lateral integration?
    There's so much room in a market that will possibly double in 2 years for RIM its not funny. It's not just phones anymore friend!
    The ones that are smart enough and establish early will win big in the end.

Simply Google QNX customers. Have a look! Yet you'll have us believe there's no future in it.
    QNX lateral integration with PB/BB10 is totally irrelevant. It simply won't happen. They are there for different markets, for different products. Integration is only beneficial if it is based on common standard.
    03-02-12 08:17 AM
    QNX lateral integration with PB/BB10 is totally irrelevant. It simply won't happen. They are there for different markets, for different products. Integration is only beneficial if it is based on common standard.
    I'll admit large % of it won't happen this year but the seeds will have been planted. Once the OS is complete the seeds can grow.
    When you consider the lateral integration already seen in social networking in PB 2.0 and BBM, to state that it "simply won't happen" is a stretch at best. But you guys are persistent.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-02-12 at 09:11 AM.
    03-02-12 09:06 AM
    I'll admit large % of it won't happen this year but the seeds will have been planted. Once the OS is complete the seeds can grow.
    When you consider the lateral integration already seen in social networking in PB 2.0 and BBM, to state that it "simply won't happen" is a stretch at best. But you guys are persistent.
    Not persistent, just looking at the facts. And judging from your post about lateral integration, you have a very weak understanding of what QNX is and how its implemented.

The Neutrino QNX kernel in the BB Tablet OS (or BBOS10) is a TIIINY part of the operating system, with hundred of thousands of lines of codes slapped on top of it by RIM since they bought it.

(This is why you see so many reboots, crashes, memory leaks and battery drain on Playbooks. You wouldn't normally expect to see that on a 30 year old OS, like QNX itself, or a 11 year old OS like QNX Neutrino. This is really something you should read up on, btw, since it seems you don't really know the difference between QNX, Neutrino and BBOS10)

Your comment about lateral integration with "Transportation! Internet! Medical, etc" is kinda like if you went out and bought a WP7 phone, and expected integration and interaction between that phone, and everything from Windows Embedded point of sales machines, Windows NT servers, and old Windows XP laptops. Completely unrealistic and won't happen, since just as in your QNX example, the components that they share and have in common are a miniscule part of the whole system.

Actually, the chances of acheiving lateral integration with iOS and Android devices and the implementations you mentioned are probably better than achieving lateral integration with BBOS10 devices, since the amount of work to implement it would be roughly the same, but Android and iOS usage is far more widespread, and the tools are much better.
    03-02-12 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD