OSBBx Introduces App Centre for the BlackBerry PlayBook!

One of the challenges facing users on the BlackBerry PlayBook, is the difficulty in finding open source applications and ensuring you have the latest version. OSBBx would like to present App Centre, a team application put together to allow users to download the latest version of open source and free applications directly to the BlackBerry PlayBook or PC.

Features:
    • PB Version: Localbar 2 support built in for on-device installation
    • Win Version: BAR installation tools built in allowing for download and immediate installation
    • Browse the latest emulators and open source applications right from your PlayBook

Downloads:

• .BAR Download link for the BlackBerry PlayBook: Download
    • .EXE Download link for Windows: Download
    • Mobile Version: Visit

More information available at the OSBBx Development Site here:

OSBBx Introduces App Centre for the BlackBerry PlayBook!

First time users, will need to know How To Sideload Applications on the PlayBook / Dev Alpha.

Special Thanks to all the OSBBx team members and beta testers who contributed to this app! We had over a dozen people contributing on this project.
    smweb, BB_Bmore, f1mx and 7 others like this.
    08-26-12 06:00 PM
    Nice work! Will try this out ASAP.
    08-26-12 06:24 PM
    And exactly what folder do bar files downloaded to the PB get downloaded to? I downloaded a file and looked at the log file and the folder it said the file was downloaded to was empty.
    08-26-12 07:20 PM
    Good question, that folder location changed during development. Its been moved to the protected app folder for now - this is for future changes. We kept logging enabled for troubleshooting emergencies.

If you want the raw .BAR, head to: App Centre - Application List and you can access the raw links.

Cheers,

Ed
    08-26-12 07:46 PM
    Best app ever
    BB_Bmore and KermEd like this.
    08-26-12 08:26 PM
    I downloaded the .bar file and sideloaded using DDPB but I don't see an app icon.

I am currently on beta 2.1.0.560 and I have reset the device twice since sideloading to see if the will work.

Did I miss something?
    08-27-12 11:59 AM
    Awesome! Will try tomorrow when I get to my laptop
    Oh wait. I brought my laptop to work today!!

So... Does this mean I won't have to keep checking if my installed emulators are up to date?
    freighter1 likes this.
    08-27-12 12:04 PM
    f1mx: Correct! Enjoy!
    f1mx likes this.
    08-27-12 04:57 PM
    I sideloaded the bar file using DDPB but i don't see it appearing on my playbook i performed a restart and repeated the process but it did not seem to work either.

Did I miss something?
    08-27-12 09:30 PM
    Good question, that folder location changed during development. Its been moved to the protected app folder for now - this is for future changes. We kept logging enabled for troubleshooting emergencies.

If you want the raw .BAR, head to: App Centre - Application List and you can access the raw links.

Cheers,

Ed
    My ISP doesn't seem to like filearchivehaven.com I guess... I am toring my way in at the moment..
    I thought for two months that the server was down (I was trying since I read about the memory leaker to reset android runtime app :P) And now it turns out it never was down..

I guess the App tries to access Filearchivehaven? Cos it won't startup for me saying it can't access important files..
    Last edited by GreyGhostRos; 08-27-12 at 09:46 PM.
    08-27-12 09:37 PM
    Nice application, works well from my limited testing so far.
    08-28-12 05:05 AM
    Just to be sure:

- I need to sideload this app onto my PB and then it downloads and install apps directly?

No more need for sideload?

Tks

Edit:

I've seen the site, and already had instaled the proxys both on the phone and on the PB.

But the first question pops again - I need to sideload the "App Centre" via DDPB,right??

Need help cuz i'm going to try this today
    Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    Last edited by PedroBorgas; 08-28-12 at 06:00 AM.
    08-28-12 05:47 AM
    As far as I can tell, if you can't use Local Bar2, this app, at least currently, is useless on the PB. Why they're hiding the downloaded bar file, I don't know.
    08-28-12 07:53 AM
    I have the localbar on the PB and the Proxy on my phone but i never used it.

My question is:

- How to get the "App Center" app in the PB on the first place. Sideload normally or via localbar?

Then this works by downloading to the PB and sideload while using Localbar, right??

08-28-12 08:03 AM
    No more need for sideload?
    Yeah you still need to sideload. It just includes the sideloading tools inside itself.
    And yes if you use the .bar version you need to use a separate tool to sideload it to your Playbook.
    KermEd likes this.
    08-28-12 08:04 AM
    K, tks.

Im going instal this app using DDPB

08-28-12 08:14 AM
    But isnt LocalBar supposed to find the .bar wherever they are??

If you run it, you should be able to select the apps and install them,right?

08-28-12 08:56 AM
    When you choose to download an app, you get the choice to download it (useless, as I stated above) or install it using local bar. Look, as it stands now, don;t expect too much from this app. They have a total of, I think, 37 apps available, a couple of which are really apps for your PC (DDPB, for example), some are available in app world, and most if not all others are linked to in the Sideloading Forum. The main benefit, as I see it, is that if you are running Local Bar, you can download and install an app easily. Maybe the selection of apps will improve over time.
    08-28-12 10:12 AM
    This app is in it's infancy. It takes time to do these things.

The apps will grow. We will be updating this application suite quite a bit. Please bare with us.

The main benefit is to have quick and easy access to open source/sideloadable applications easily. This why we implemented the application as a trio (the obvious shortcomings of not being able to self-sideload are apparent, enter desktop version)

Again, we are working on it.
    dablessing likes this.
    08-28-12 11:49 AM
    Yeah very appreciate for the work you guys are doing here.

Cause i tried the normal sideload way via DDPB but to no avail. Don't see anything appearing on my home-screen, so figured that there must be some other way perhaps with the localbar2?

Just hoping to help and feedback on the users' end. Keep it up guys!
    08-28-12 11:54 AM
    thanks for the feedback. Have you tried rebooting your unit? I'll have the guys look into it.
    08-28-12 12:16 PM
    Very nice app ! Can i also post my 'open source' app to the App Center ? Because i'd like to submit my app too.

(In which language is the app written ? It look amazing)
    Last edited by jeroen_13; 08-28-12 at 03:40 PM.
    LimeTripBlog likes this.
    08-28-12 02:40 PM
    Okay, color me confused! What do I need to establish THE PROXY? I've got a bb 9930. I've placed this app on my pb using sideloading (I do miss LocalBar 1 where I could do it all on the pb). So I need something on my 9930? What/where/how?
    08-28-12 05:28 PM
    Okay, color me confused! What do I need to establish THE PROXY? I've got a bb 9930. I've placed this app on my pb using sideloading (I do miss LocalBar 1 where I could do it all on the pb). So I need something on my 9930? What/where/how?
    Hi F2 you need another localbar proxy app on you're 9930 you can install it directly on your phone using this link http://yohan.es/files/localbarproxy/LocalBarProxy.jad
    KermEd likes this.
    08-28-12 07:30 PM
    Hi F2 you need another localbar proxy app on you're 9930 you can install it directly on your phone using this link http://yohan.es/files/localbarproxy/LocalBarProxy.jad
    Thanks. Now what? (g)

Ahhhhhhhh - I had to change the 9930's address since I had assigned it a static address. I just installed Dosbox on the 32gig using this method(s).

Is there a reason the 9930 give Error every so often rather than an address? Is there a timeout or something after it has run?
    08-28-12 08:19 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD