I was wondering if those with the OS2.0 beta and access to android apps in appworld could comment on whether it is worthwhile to wait on purchasing apps (on the base OS) due to their being more functional android equivalents available.

As an example I read a user here mentioned he was using ComicRack, but I don't know if it was sideloaded or purchased from the appstore. I'd love to use ComicRack as that's what I have on my laptop, but I'm not sure if I'd just be better off getting a native comic reader.

Is there a way to check which android apps are available now? Does it make sense to wait on buying apps until OS2.0 is released?
    01-28-12 02:13 PM
    I was wondering if those with the OS2.0 beta and access to android apps in appworld could comment on whether it is worthwhile to wait on purchasing apps (on the base OS) due to their being more functional android equivalents available.

As an example I read a user here mentioned he was using ComicRack, but I don't know if it was sideloaded or purchased from the appstore. I'd love to use ComicRack as that's what I have on my laptop, but I'm not sure if I'd just be better off getting a native comic reader.

Is there a way to check which android apps are available now? Does it make sense to wait on buying apps until OS2.0 is released?
    There is no way to differentiate between a "native" app and an Android-based one (unless the app's descriptions in App World includes this information). After installing them on your device, there are unmistakable differences in the way that they behave but I don't think that this is what you meant. I hope that consumers do not have the unrealistic expectation that their favourite apps will "just be available" come the official OS2 release.

I think that one thing that consumers can do is contact the support addresses of their favourite Android app-makers and ask if they are porting their offering to the PB. I'm willing to bet that a lot of them do not know how easy it is to extend their user-bases by using RIM conversion tools.
    persona_crazy and rmah like this.
    01-28-12 03:19 PM
    I have 2.0 and cannot find ComicRack in the app store.

I'm waiting to purchase apps until 2.0 gets officially released. My guess is some developers will need to update their apps to make it work with the new OS and some of those developers will charge for the upgrade.

To find Android apps in the app store I just search for "Android". I'm not sure if there is a better way or not.
    rmah likes this.
    01-28-12 03:49 PM
    I'm using Comicrack (and comics tbh)... I sideloaded comicrack.
    rmah likes this.
    01-28-12 03:59 PM
    There is no way to differentiate between a "native" app and an Android-based one (unless the app's descriptions in App World includes this information). After installing them on your device, there are unmistakable differences in the way that they behave but I don't think that this is what you meant. I hope that consumers do not have the unrealistic expectation that their favourite apps will "just be available" come the official OS2 release.

I think that one thing that consumers can do is contact the support addresses of their favourite Android app-makers and ask if they are porting their offering to the PB. I'm willing to bet that a lot of them do not know how easy it is to extend their user-bases by using RIM conversion tools.
    Sorry by 'native' I just meant something that's available now to people with OS1. Don't get me wrong, I'm under no illusions that the appworld will suddenly have everything we could ever wish for, and I certainly meant no disrespect to any of the devs/apps that are there now. I just wanted to know if people that had access to the ported apps could kind of speak to what is available and if there were enough alternatives available to warrant waiting a bit to 'shop around'.

DD1968 you nailed my other question

I appreciate the feedback everyone.
    01-28-12 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD