A tantalizing possibility seemed to show up for me when I upgraded to OS 2 this morning, but I can't confirm it.

When I went to open Video Chat, it picked up a couple of contacts that I know use Facebook vid chat, but do NOT have Playbooks.

Is Playbook Video Chat compatible with Facebook vid chat? Or was that a misleading error? Can anyone confirm?
    02-21-12 12:26 PM
    Noticed this too but haven't tested...damn work is getting in the way!!
    02-21-12 12:56 PM
    I can't confirm chatting with Facebook but what I did notice was that while some of my contacts showed up with video icons it was only the Playbook users that had a green video icon. I tried video chatting with my wife who uses the Motorola Atrix that supports Google video chat and it didn't work.
    :-(

A tantalizing possibility seemed to show up for me when I upgraded to OS 2 this morning, but I can't confirm it.

When I went to open Video Chat, it picked up a couple of contacts that I know use Facebook vid chat, but do NOT have Playbooks.

Is Playbook Video Chat compatible with Facebook vid chat? Or was that a misleading error? Can anyone confirm?
    02-21-12 01:07 PM
    Was that on the All or Video tab. All of your contacts will show on the All tab, but only ones that have a BB Pin or eMail address setup for Video Chat will show in the Video tab. Those are the ones that you can chat with.
    02-21-12 01:45 PM
    I can confirm that it was on the Video tab.

Edit: in fact, I have both Facebook users AND Playbook users showing up in the Video tab... Still interesting, but the couple of FB friends I have showing up there aren't able to confirm for me right now.
    Last edited by Thunderbuck; 02-21-12 at 02:09 PM.
    02-21-12 02:06 PM
    I can confirm that it was on the Video tab.

Edit: in fact, I have both Facebook users AND Playbook users showing up in the Video tab... Still interesting, but the couple of FB friends I have showing up there aren't able to confirm for me right now.
    The video chat icon is showing you is that the contact has a BlackBerry ID associated with an email address in their profile. If they have a PlayBook and online with video chat it will turn green.

What you are seeing are facebook users who also have a BlackBerry ID associated with the email address they have in their profile. It has no relation to whether or not you can video chat with them.

If they buy a PlayBook, sign in with the same email address as their Blackberry ID, then it will go green. Until they do, it won't.

Many BlackBerry owners still don't have BlackBerry IDs (those running OS 4-6).
    computer_chick likes this.
    02-21-12 02:20 PM
    To be more specific, I have a friend, let's call him Peter, he has a BB7 device and is on facebook. His email address is the one he used to create his BBID with his BB7 device. He doesn't own a PlayBook. He has the icon next to his name when I look at his contact, but I have no way to chat with him.
    02-21-12 02:22 PM
    The video chat icon is showing you is that the contact has a BlackBerry ID associated with an email address in their profile. If they have a PlayBook and online with video chat it will turn green.

What you are seeing are facebook users who also have a BlackBerry ID associated with the email address they have in their profile. It has no relation to whether or not you can video chat with them.

If they buy a PlayBook, sign in with the same email address as their Blackberry ID, then it will go green. Until they do, it won't.

Many BlackBerry owners still don't have BlackBerry IDs (those running OS 4-6).
    Nope, sorry. At least one of the users I see in the VIDEO tab does not have a Blackberry ID at all. And it DOES show the green video icon.
    02-21-12 02:34 PM
    I went through all the video tuts for the PB when I installed 2.0 and I recall the video chat is only for other PB users.
    03-05-12 08:22 PM
    Also have noted that if you manually put an email address in the Video field - you can't delete it.

If you delete it then press tick, it just reverts back to what was there.

Have not had anyone pop up (my video screen shows the one random I put in and cant delete)!!
    03-05-12 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD