Has anyone tried to run a VNC client or RDM+? Would be really interesting if these could run through the bridge also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 02:45 PM
    Makes me wonder why you would ever want an LTE playbook and pay for an additional data plan.
    08-24-11 02:57 PM
    Sweet!

But I have to wonder why RIM didn't mention it as one of the features of the new update?!! I mean, this is a huge thing, and not mentioning it seems simply, well, dumb. Common marketing folks at RIM, think a little! Incremental updates don't make PB desirable but using my apps by bridging certainly does!
    Last edited by XPEH; 08-24-11 at 03:02 PM.
    08-24-11 02:57 PM
    Makes me wonder why you would ever want an LTE playbook and pay for an additional data plan.
    It would probably be _a lot_ faster.
    howarmat likes this.
    08-24-11 03:01 PM
    I fell in love with my PB all over again today. I think this is HUGE!!
    ma_rio14 likes this.
    08-24-11 03:06 PM
    Has anyone tried to run a VNC client or RDM+? Would be really interesting if these could run through the bridge also.

I have
    RDM seems to work like a charm through bridge..
    PB just got a LOT more mobile
    08-24-11 03:08 PM
    Sweet!

But I have to wonder why RIM didn't mention it as one of the features of the new update?!! I mean, this is a huge thing, and not mentioning it seems simply, well, dumb. Common marketing folks at RIM, think a little! Incremental updates don't make PB desirable but using my apps by bridging certainly does!
    They barely got the bridge function pass the US carriers the first time around, stupid AT&T. No need to go rubbing it in their faces this time around. New bridge functions I think it will need to be advertised by word of mouth from now on.

08-24-11 03:09 PM
    I have
    RDM seems to work like a charm through bridge..
    PB just got a LOT more mobile
    Sweet glad RIM is looking out for us business travelers

08-24-11 03:10 PM
    Sweet!

My thinking is they have an even bigger update in the pipes and don't want to waste ammo on this one, significant as it may be.
    08-24-11 03:11 PM
    They barely got the bridge function pass the US carriers the first time around, stupid AT&T. No need to go rubbing it in their faces this time around. New bridge functions I think it will need to be advertised by word of mouth from now on.

Many carriers (in the US anyway) are dropping unlimited data plans so this advance could lead to more carrier revenue.
    08-24-11 03:13 PM
    Many carriers (in the US anyway) are dropping unlimited data plans so this advance could lead to more carrier revenue.
    Nothing to do with thread, but I'm also hoping it will get ppl back to BB.

RIM data compression FTW
    08-24-11 03:20 PM
    A nice trick but I have reservations. I bridge the PB to my enterprise phone. That phone and I travel overseas 80% of work time, where roaming charges can be astronomical. I can't turn off the radio on the phone for.obvious reasons so do I run the risk of unknowingly using the web through the phone plan and running up a bill that could cost me thousands or even my job?
    Another sop for the mouth breathing gamers, social networkers, and web shoppers. Once again the real worker gets ignored. Turn it off, I would have waited for the GSM PB if I wanted this risk.
    08-24-11 03:25 PM
    I just wish that either through bridging or tethering I will eventually be able to VPN into my work network (works fine over wifi) once the 2.0 OS comes out, but for some reason I have that sinking feeling that I'll only be able to do that if I get a 3g/LTE playbook....sigh...
    I don't even mind paying...well at least my company doesn't
    08-24-11 03:32 PM
    Does Bing Maps now work in the car with this?

I don't need turn by turn, just a map of where I am is good enough.
    08-24-11 03:34 PM
    Unfortunately I have tried and neither aVNC or IMT-VNC seem to be able to connect over the new bridge. Anyone have an idea on how to make it work?
    sshahrul76 likes this.
    08-24-11 03:34 PM
    So will I be able to download future upgrades without being on wifi?
    08-24-11 03:37 PM

Good point about AT&T, I didn't think about that. It's a tricky balance: try not to anger the beast while making your product attractive. But at the same time, AT&T will obviously find out about it, whether RIM advertises it or not.

My thinking is they have an even bigger update in the pipes and don't want to waste ammo on this one, significant as it may be.
    I certainly hope so. Hopefully they'll also make some snappier commercials than the ones that say 'Flash-ah-ah' (yikes!)
    08-24-11 03:39 PM
    A nice trick but I have reservations. I bridge the PB to my enterprise phone. That phone and I travel overseas 80% of work time, where roaming charges can be astronomical. I can't turn off the radio on the phone for.obvious reasons so do I run the risk of unknowingly using the web through the phone plan and running up a bill that could cost me thousands or even my job?
    I thought about this too when I first tried it. Since the Bluetooth range on the damn PlayBook is so good and I sometimes have trouble auto connecting to my home wi-fi network, I figured it could always run bridged in my house and I don't have an unlimited plan.

I was wondering if there was a configuration option to turn this off and then it dawned on me... disable the bridge on your phone when not in use. This will cover the overseas roaming possibility.
    Last edited by snuci; 08-24-11 at 03:47 PM.
    08-24-11 03:43 PM
    Can someone help me here...
    I can't seem to get this to work for me.
    Bridge Ver: 1.0.5.6
    Device: Bold 9900
    Got the latest Playbook OS update.
    Bridge browser works fine and is fast, but the main browser doesn't connect and no apps connect either.
    08-24-11 04:00 PM
    Wow. All the apps I've tried so far are working. The biggest surprise is the increased speed. I use the Orb app that shows the streaming speed when connecting through 3G. With both my wifi and tethering off it not only worked but I am now getting twice the stream rate that I had before. My previous numbers were usually in the 400kbps and now they are in the 800kbps range. Very nice update.
    08-24-11 04:00 PM
    I second that wow, just tried it, pretty cool not sweeet but still very awesome the rimpire is surely striking back
    08-24-11 04:02 PM
    This is actually an amazing feat. You basically don't need the 3G/4G model at all. Wow. Pretty impressive. Wait to go, RIM!
    08-24-11 04:17 PM
    We should delete this thread -
    Lets hope the thieves at at&t dont see this lol
    therapyreject174 and smertz like this.
    08-24-11 04:19 PM
    I thought about this too when I first tried it. Since the Bluetooth range on the damn PlayBook is so good and I sometimes have trouble auto connecting to my home wi-fi network, I figured it could always run bridged in my house and I don't have an unlimited plan.

I was wondering if there was a configuration option to turn this off and then it dawned on me... disable the bridge on your phone when not in use. This will cover the overseas roaming possibility.
    and then you have no bridge. All or nothing? The bridge and the PB have their uses outside of the office. It needs a kill switch on the PB. I bought a wifi only unit with the ability to view the Phone PIM. had there been a GSM version, I still would have bought a wifi only PB, and the GSM unit most likely would have a kill switch for the radio. This should not have come out without a way to defeat the function.
    08-24-11 04:24 PM
    So will I be able to download future upgrades without being on wifi?
    Probably not and would you want 3 or 400 mb of data added to your phone plan if it wasn't unlimited.

I personally would want a continual stable connection when doing updates.
    08-24-11 04:35 PM
187 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD