08-27-11 05:51 PM
187 123 ...
tools
    Just letting people know that the new updates now automatically uses the blackberry bridge net connection for your apps. No WIFI or "tethering" required.
    This is HUGE for me.

Enjoy.
    08-24-11 10:51 AM
    this seems right. my browser just opened and connected (not bridge browser - i don't have bridge browser) with WiFi off. SPECTACULAR!

Now when will AT&T shut this down
    08-24-11 10:55 AM
    Haha an F-off to carriers for not releasing a cellular version.
    ma_rio14 likes this.
    08-24-11 10:57 AM
    I was just about to post this! This is freaking amazing! I know this isn't the 2.0 update, but this update is kinda making me say "sweet!"

I'm definitely buying the Magellan Compass App now!!
    Last edited by LewLew23; 08-24-11 at 11:00 AM.
    08-24-11 10:57 AM
    I was about to change my AT&T plans to be able to take advantage of "tethering" - no need now! Best update yet - by far!!!
    LewLew23 likes this.
    08-24-11 10:59 AM
    Good question. I'm on Virgin Mobile Canada and so far they've been pretty flexible with my tethering/bridge experiments trying to see what my limits are.
    I've noticed a strong trend of AT&T customers getting shafted on updates that other people have started to take for granted. Bummer to say the least.
    My thoughts are since AT&T and BB delayed the original Bridge app for quite awhile before releasing but not this time there probably won't be any future restrictions. My optimism hopefully pans out for you.
    08-24-11 11:00 AM
    All Apps?! Omg... That is huge!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 11:01 AM
    The only apps I've tried that didn't work through the Bridge was App World and Kobo Books.

All others - including FB app, Weather, BB News, BB Music Store, News360, Score Mobile, Poynt, FourPlay, Crackberry, Vevo(Although I wouldn't recommend it) all worked!

This may not be the "sweet" he was talking about, but it sure is making me HOT for some PB lovin'!

Although, I can't wait for BGR to put a negative spin on this....

Edit: My recommendation to not use it with Vevo wasn't so much about the video playability - it actually loaded up "I Gotta Feeling' by the Black Eyed Peas relatively fast with no stuttering or rebuffering - but about the use of data; it'll chew it up.
    Last edited by OverShadow417; 08-24-11 at 11:05 AM.
    LewLew23 likes this.
    08-24-11 11:01 AM
    All Apps?! Omg... That is huge!

Not App World.
    08-24-11 11:04 AM
    Good question. I'm on Virgin Mobile Canada and so far they've been pretty flexible with my tethering/bridge experiments trying to see what my limits are.
    I've noticed a strong trend of AT&T customers getting shafted on updates that other people have started to take for granted. Bummer to say the least.
    My thoughts are since AT&T and BB delayed the original Bridge app for quite awhile before releasing but not this time there probably won't be any future restrictions. My optimism hopefully pans out for you.
    I think we AT&T folks are good as long as we keep using the OTA Bridge app. At least I hope.
    anon4065439 likes this.
    08-24-11 11:05 AM
    also seeing it...was definitely hoping for it! But now i'm confused....why would I still need tethering as an option?
    08-24-11 11:05 AM
    With this update I'm OK waiting for the so called 2.0 update relaunch. My faith in RIM is much stronger today. Now if we could only get them to post change logs with all updates then people would know all the new fixes and capabilities up front instead of having to piece together the info from outside sources.
    anon4065439 and Nogrentain like this.
    08-24-11 11:06 AM
    also seeing it...was definitely hoping for it! But now i'm confused....why would I still need tethering as an option?
    You don't! except for Kobo and app world, but those can wait for Wifi.

Tethering is still needed for non-BB phone users.
    Finally an update that makes a huge step forward...very good fix !
    Cheers,
    heavy
    Yeah, if they can add App World and Video Chat this would really be an awesome update.
    Erandhawa and lamnguyen2020 like this.
    You, as a BB owner, DON'T need tethering.

Non-BB owners WILL however.
    Kindle Cloud reader now works through the regular browser with WiFi turned off and bridge turned on. Not a huge deal, but it does mean you can have Cloud Reader in the normal browser and still use it away from WiFi.

This is a big deal. I wonder if Verizon will get wise and want to charge for tethering now.
    08-24-11 11:07 AM
    All I can say is "WOWEEEE"!!!!
    Well, I def need to load the OTA Bridge as the ATT version is still requiring a network/Wifi connection with Apps.

Since Appworld and Kobo reader don't connect automatically I'm guessing RIM is reserving bandwidth and high usage apps to tethered and WIFI only to protect customers not realizing how much they will kill their data plan. Smart actually and will save RIM from customers complaining that they are getting huge bills a month after the update.
    My BB is on BES, I've always noticed Bridge browser slower than internet tethering using regular browser.

So was thinking one data path might be slower given a need to redirect through BES vs a direct internet connection?

Otherwise, I realize that as BB owner, no need to tether again (really)
    08-24-11 11:10 AM
    this is big for me. no more searching for hot spots. I just hope AT&Theif doesn't figure this out.
    08-24-11 11:10 AM
    Wow, that's awesome. Can't wait to get home from work and download this update! Good thing I got unlimted data with big red.

08-24-11 11:12 AM
    This is huge! I'm one of those BES users whose MDS isn't setup for internet access and I can now access the internet with the bridge connection. The Bridge Browser still only allows access through the BES, but the regular browser can use the BIS connection.
    jonty12 likes this.
    08-24-11 11:14 AM
    Turn off wifi to test things out. Using the regular browser and full CB site. I forgot the wifi was still turned off. I say this is "sweet" . what comes after sweet? Narly?
    08-24-11 11:16 AM
187 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD