Been saying this on many threads/posts before..
    The thing is, both PB and BB use Bluetooth v2.1.
    So the maximum practical rate is 2.1Mbps or around 262Kb/s
    And while connected through Bridge, the data goes to RIM's server (encrypt/decrypt) so the tested and actual speed may not be correct.

If they put Bluetooth 3.0 + HS on PB and latest BB7 devices, I wonder the speed would be..
    This is off topic but could the PB and phone use the wifi to communicate? I don't know how these things work. I assume wifi in devices have to send and receive. If there is no wifi present couldn't they use that connection instead of bluetooth.
    08-25-11 09:27 AM
    seems a few are confusing bridge and bridge browser. Differentiate the two and you will start to comprehend the significance of this OS update. With this OS you can now use your regular browser AND (most/soon all?) apps which had previously required a WIFI connection through your bridged connection of your BB handset be it 3g OR WIFI (and eventually LTE/4g/etc).
    08-25-11 09:32 AM
    This is off topic but could the PB and phone use the wifi to communicate? I don't know how these things work. I assume wifi in devices have to send and receive. If there is no wifi present couldn't they use that connection instead of bluetooth.
    I believe the reason the PB uses BT is due to security. So, highly unlikely PB and BB ever communicating via WIFI.
    08-25-11 09:34 AM
    I didn't think of the security aspect. Is bluetooth more secure? Not all of us are business users and would trade some security for speed if possible.
    08-25-11 09:46 AM
    I didn't think of the security aspect. Is bluetooth more secure? Not all of us are business users and would trade some security for speed if possible.
    Guess u should wait for the 4G/HSPA+/WiMax version to trade/buy again.
    08-25-11 03:26 PM
    Guess u should wait for the 4G/HSPA+/WiMax version to trade/buy again.
    Not everyone is looking for a fight.
    That would require another data plan.
    I'm happy with the last update. I was happy before the last update. Just thinking out loud I guess. I bought on release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-11 03:46 PM
    some stats that show the difference between being bridged and tethered

My location:
    Calgary, AB

Tethered
    Bell Mobility
    Castlegar BC
    187 ms
    0.73 Mbps down
    0.32 Mbps up

Bridged
    Research in Motion Limited
    Waterloo ON
    263 ms
    0.48 Mbps down
    0.15 Mbps up
    08-25-11 06:20 PM
    just got this update last night.so far so good.broswer seems fast.im holding off on the bridge function until i get my new phone.don't feel like using my old phone for it.
    08-25-11 06:39 PM
    Not everyone is looking for a fight.
    That would require another data plan.
    I'm happy with the last update. I was happy before the last update. Just thinking out loud I guess. I bought on release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Whoaa.. sorry, didn't want to start a fight either man..
    If I did, the emoticon would be like this instead of this

U just asked for a faster connection which will not be available without WiFi (since Bluetooth v2.1 is limited) so I'm guessing the 4G version is the best choice.
    Just crossed my mind that RIM actually knows this, that's why they didn't put Bluetooth v3.0+HS on PB or latest BB7 since with this update, people will unlikely to buy the 4G version.
    Hope I clear some misunderstanding here..
    Sorry if I offended u in any way
    08-25-11 07:11 PM
    Don't know if anyone else has seen this but when you open up an email the get images button is gone and the images pop up any way. I just noticed this today when i was showing off my PlayBook to my neighbor. Pretty cool if you ask me. Why my phone just cant do this, but i like the fact that my PlayBook can.
    08-27-11 05:10 PM
    Fear not my friend:

The tablet uses the 512-bit BlackBerry Bridge work
    key and XTS-AES-256 to encrypt the keys that encrypt and decrypt the work data that the tablet stores.

Remember the FIPS certification the PB has. They use the right stuff and they use it correctly! Don't worry about the extra security slowing things down, worry about your 3/4g connection and phone's available resources
    08-27-11 05:48 PM
    ^^ also:
    To discover the shared secret (key) by
    eavesdropping during the key agreement protocol, a potentially malicious user must perform an online dictionary
    attack. The tablet is designed to prevent an online dictionary attack by permitting the potentially malicious user only
    one guess at the shared secret. If the guess is incorrect, the user must restart the pairing process, which then creates
    a new shared secret.
    08-27-11 05:51 PM
187 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD