oooh, storm2 radio off, bridged, PB wifi off, WORKS HAHAHA.
    08-24-11 10:44 PM
    Question:

If I am using WiFi on my 8900 and Wifi is truned off on PB and bridge is on, my PB will use bridge for data. Question is will my phone be using WiFi or data?

I think it should be using WiFi but I need someone to confirm it for me.
    I think someone mentioned a few pages back that it honors the handset's ordering.
    08-24-11 10:45 PM
    I think someone mentioned a few pages back that it honors the handset's ordering.
    Got it! On my phone WiFi is preferred. Thanks.
    08-24-11 10:48 PM
    08-24-11 10:52 PM
    To be honest this is not going to be optimal but your phone will route all traffic through RIM's NOC over Wi-Fi provided your phone is indeed connected to RIM's infrastructure over Wi-Fi (this is the default mode of operation unless the network conditions or a policy is applied preventing this).
    Sorry this sounds deep, can not understand this. What is RIM's NOC and infrastructure? My understanding is that WiFi traffic goes through the ISP. And if I am using data then traffic goes through the provider. Please correct me what I am missing.
    All bridge traffic goes through RIM's NOC.
    Thanks for that. Does this mean if you aren't in North America you are likely to experience faster speeds through tethering?
    OK, help me out here...

WIFI is available at home and at work... I set it up at both locations

It's free (to add devices based on monthly charges) and faster than Bridge connections, I've done the updates and tried the apps both bridged and on direct WIFI... the latter is faster, and I've been using it on the Playbook since purchase in April.

I've updated both the Torch 9810 and the Playbook, and unless the Playbook can now magically bridge access without a BB handset, I don't see what is miraculous here. I've run the new update without WIFI enabled, and it is slower to access websites and do general wireless stuff. Not much, but slower.

So now we don't need WIFI, we just use our handset data plan wherever we go?

Still like my WIFI,

Regards,
    Last edited by vorpalz; 08-24-11 at 11:06 PM.
    08-24-11 11:00 PM
    I'm on TMob as well but I think this is huge because there were apps that would not work even when tethering. They required WiFi. This does not.
    Prior to this update, which apps did not work when tethered? The only one I know of is App World.
    08-24-11 11:02 PM
    OK, help me out here...

WIFI is availabe at home and at work... I set it up at both locations

It's free (to add devices based on monthly charges) and faster than Bridge connections, I've done the updates and tried the apps both bridged and on direct WIFI... the latter is faster, and I've been using thus on the Playbook since purchase in April.

I've updated both the Torch 9810 and the Playbook, and unless the Playbook can now magically bridge access without a BB handset, I don't see what is miraculous here. I've run the new update without WIFI enabled, and it is slower to access websites and do general wireless stuff. Not much, but slower.

Still like my WIFI,

Regards,
    You are right when you have WiFi access. How do you access internet on the road on your PB? Now you can without a tethering plan and that is awesome!
    08-24-11 11:04 PM
    Prior to this update, which apps did not work when tethered? The only one I know of is App World.
    Apps like weather, News 360, compass, etc were not working because these use GPS on the phone. Now they work well.
    08-24-11 11:06 PM
    OK, help me out here...

WIFI is available at home and at work... I set it up at both locations

It's free (to add devices based on monthly charges) and faster than Bridge connections, I've done the updates and tried the apps both bridged and on direct WIFI... the latter is faster, and I've been using it on the Playbook since purchase in April.

Still like my WIFI,

Regards,
    Wifi is still most people's preferred method. This is beautiful when you don't have access to wifi
    08-24-11 11:09 PM
    08-24-11 11:11 PM
    Sorry this sounds deep, can not understand this. What is RIM's NOC and infrastructure? My understanding is that WiFi traffic goes through the ISP. And if I am using data then traffic goes through the provider. Please correct me what I am missing.
    If you do a real tether --- which carriers charge you extra money --- then your data goes through your mobile carrier directly. Faster speed.

If you bridge --- which is free --- then your data comes from RIM's Network Operations Centers, encrypted and send to your mobile carrier, then your mobile carrier send it to you. Big round trip --- slower internet speed. But because it's encrypted, your carrier doesn't know that the 20 MB you just downloaded is a youtube video. All the carrier knows is that you downloaded 20 MB from RIM's NOC --- which could have been a 20 MB email attachment.
    anon3969612 likes this.
    08-24-11 11:12 PM
    If you do a real tether --- which carriers charge you extra money --- then your data goes through your mobile carrier directly. Faster speed.

If you bridge --- which is free --- then your data comes from RIM's Network Operations Centers, encrypted and send to your mobile carrier, then your mobile carrier send it to you. Big round trip --- slower internet speed. But because it's encrypted, your carrier doesn't know that the 20 MB you just downloaded is a youtube video. All the carrier knows is that you downloaded 20 MB from RIM's NOC --- which could have been a 20 MB email attachment.
    Awesome! just do not tell ISPs
    08-24-11 11:16 PM
    ok, think I got it now...

I was just on a week holiday using Bridge Browser in a non-WIFI area...

now not only don't I need to use Bridge, but all wireless data coming through the Playbook is coming through the BB encrypted servers and not subject to carrier scrutiny as to origin? Provided I have a BB with a decent data plan, of course.

Regards,

vorpalZ
    08-24-11 11:28 PM
    omg i just realize it after i read this post
    now i can use pb as gps coz my bb too small, please keep it like this RIM <3
    08-24-11 11:32 PM
    Can anyone confirm if magellan app works with bridge.
    I can.. Tested Magellan Compass today in the car with bridge on my 3G Torch 9800 on AT&T and it worked great! Woot!
    reden82734 likes this.
    08-24-11 11:35 PM
    Updated both today playbook and bridge app. Hopefully i see a big difference now
    08-25-11 12:36 AM
    OMG are u guys saying what i think you're saying...this is awesome...didnt update to the first 1.0.7.xxx release cos i thought it was all cosmetic and was not going to update to this one...but what i hear right here is really good news...

where's my update wand
    08-25-11 12:48 AM
    great news but bluetooth technology needs to improve . here is why

bridged to 9700 . turned off 3G bb was on wifi. turned off wifi on PB
    ran speedrest 0.82mb down and 0.22mb up
    a bit disappointing cause 3g is faster
    08-25-11 02:23 AM
    Yeah this is really nice. I was worried the bridging would get marginalized over time since only several RIM core apps could use it. But now it appears RIM's opening it up so that the apps will have transparent access. Ideally the PB would channel data through WiFi when possible. And then when not transparently route through the phone. Perhaps it does this already? I will have to test it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-11 02:59 AM
    Now that's a huge update (considering it's not V2.0). Awesome.
    08-25-11 03:52 AM
    This going to come in handy when on a plane with WiFi. Pay for the wifi on the phone - for a few dollars cheaper - than just bridge it to the playbook and get all of the functionality. Yes, you aren't supposed to use BT a plane but a quick Google search will show that it doesn't actually do anything.
    08-25-11 08:19 AM
    There you go RIM, Unleash the full power of the PB now.

Very nice feature to unlock.... Now the Carriers are gonna crap on themselves... This folks is pretty freaking badass.
    08-25-11 08:28 AM
    great news but bluetooth technology needs to improve . here is why

bridged to 9700 . turned off 3G bb was on wifi. turned off wifi on PB
    ran speedrest 0.82mb down and 0.22mb up
    a bit disappointing cause 3g is faster
    Been saying this on many threads/posts before..
    The thing is, both PB and BB use Bluetooth v2.1.
    So the maximum practical rate is 2.1Mbps or around 262Kb/s
    And while connected through Bridge, the data goes to RIM's server (encrypt/decrypt) so the tested and actual speed may not be correct.

If they put Bluetooth 3.0 + HS on PB and latest BB7 devices, I wonder the speed would be..
    08-25-11 09:13 AM
187 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD