There are a million Blackberry policy options that can kill this function for you if you go overseas.
    08-24-11 04:36 PM
    This is actually an amazing feat. You basically don't need the 3G/4G model at all. Wow. Pretty impressive. Wait to go, RIM!
    We don't cause we kept our bb phones. Just RIM saying, thanks.
    08-24-11 04:40 PM
    There are a million Blackberry policy options that can kill this function for you if you go overseas.
    ENTERPRISE PHONE! Must have data 24/7. Cannot change plan configuration. Must not abuse data usage. PB has nothing to do with phone operation, the potential prob is from the PB, not the phone. Must shout louder, use small words.
    08-24-11 04:48 PM
    ENTERPRISE PHONE! Must have data 24/7. Cannot change plan configuration. Must not abuse data usage. PB has nothing to do with phone operation, the potential prob is from the PB, not the phone. Must shout louder, use small words.
    Turn off Bridge from the PlayBook when you're not using it?
    08-24-11 04:52 PM
    Can anyone confirm if magellan app works with bridge.
    08-24-11 04:53 PM
    Can anyone confirm if magellan app works with bridge.
    Yupper! Seems a bit slow but it's definitely working. Sweeeet!!!!

I now officially take back 66.7% of all my whining about RIM's secrecy and jerking us around with lack of information. The BlackBerry Bridge is the KILLER APP for the PlayBook...
    reden82734 likes this.
    08-24-11 05:32 PM

I now officially take back 66.7% of all my whining about RIM's secrecy and jerking us around with lack of information. The BlackBerry Bridge is the KILLER APP for the PlayBook...
    Just say, "I'm sorry" and all is forgiven.
    DaveTheA likes this.
    08-24-11 05:38 PM

What's ironic about this statement is that RIM never publicized this feature
    DaveTheA likes this.
    08-24-11 05:53 PM
    Amazing! Just amazing. Congrats RIM boys. This shows you"re alive and working to gain the market share Playbook deserves. Whe knew of the potential, it is a matter of time and having the right pace in software development. We look forward to a great update ( ver. 2.0 as you name it ) and surely this little marvel will gain momentum....
    08-24-11 06:06 PM
    Love it! Just got home updated my PB and my 9930. Im happy! Just what I need it to do for now. Bridge works albeit slower than having to pay extra Ill deal with it.
    Thanks RIM
    08-24-11 06:07 PM
    Yes Magellan app does work with bridge. I just used it on a short trip and it tracked me perfectly.
    08-24-11 06:13 PM
    Doesn't really do much for me right now since I'm with T-mobile and tethering is still "free" for my plan...but this will come in really handy if AT&T's purchase of T-mobile is approved. Either way, well done RIM and definitely a step in the right direction!
    08-24-11 06:22 PM
    I wonder if RIM will have to rewrite an ATT version like they did before for the bridge browser?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 06:30 PM
    My PlayBook can now officially be used as my GPS. It may not be turn by turn, but it's good enough. And with the Native SDK almost released, a turn by turn app probably isn't far off.

This may have been a maintenance update, but for me, it's by far the biggest and best update yet.
    with the android app player you can use google navigation as a turn by turn free gps. though will have to wait for the official release since rim blocked out the use off the android app beta player
    08-24-11 06:37 PM
    Just say, "I'm sorry" and all is forgiven.
    Yeah, well.... I'm not sorry yet....

However this _is_ an indication that there are indeed some exciting things going on under RIM's Cone Of Silence. I see it...and believe again!
    08-24-11 06:37 PM
    What's ironic about this statement is that RIM never publicized this feature
    And this would be exactly my point. RIM could have issued a two-sentence statement.

"Here's another update for Playbook. Be sure to check out how your apps work over the Bridge...". That's all it would have taken.

"RIM still has major plans for updating and improving Playbook function and capabilities. They will be announced as they happen." That would be enough for me.

"While RIM cannot commit to a timeframe at present, the Playbook NDK will be released to developers as soon as we are satisfied with its readiness for use." This would be GREAT news.

RIM's absolute silence is creating FUD among its customers, fans and the tech media and business world. They really ought to be throwing us a bone [although the latest update still has me smiling...the cat is definitely among the pigeons when it comes to tethering fees and the like...].
    08-24-11 06:46 PM
    i don't know if it has been mentioned, but i opened the regular browser with the wifi off by mistake and it now works using the bridge signal. one browser for all.
    08-24-11 06:53 PM
    This feature needs more testing.

Mail is lagging when facebook is open
    Apps are saying I'm not connected to the internet when my phone has full 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 06:53 PM
    Help! I am unable to update Bridge. I keep getting a message that my Torch 9800 is unable to find the server. This happens on AT&T 3G or wireless only. I want to bridge to my apps from my PB. TIA.

EDIT: Not that anyone cares, but I finally got it to work. :-)
    Last edited by mathprof08; 08-24-11 at 07:58 PM.
    08-24-11 07:00 PM
    Doesn't really do much for me right now since I'm with T-mobile and tethering is still "free" for my plan...but this will come in really handy if AT&T's purchase of T-mobile is approved. Either way, well done RIM and definitely a step in the right direction!
    I'm on TMob as well but I think this is huge because there were apps that would not work even when tethering. They required WiFi. This does not.
    08-24-11 07:05 PM
    i think the lack of an announcement from rim about your bluetooth turning your playbook into a 3g model is related to the fact sprint cancelled their plans to carry the 3g playbook.
    08-24-11 07:07 PM
    also seeing it...was definitely hoping for it! But now i'm confused....why would I still need tethering as an option?
    I'm speculating that either the 3G/4G Playbooks are indefinitely delayed, or RIM is pissed at Sprint and other carriers that have cancelled their plans to carry the PB.
    Last edited by sickbird; 08-24-11 at 07:16 PM.
    08-24-11 07:10 PM
    I just cancelled my $20/month tethering plan with Verizon because this works so nice!!
    08-24-11 07:11 PM
    lol that explains google opening up when I had no wifi connection!
    08-24-11 07:17 PM
    This is pretty interesting. I'm in Australia and not charged seperately for tethering so this is about convenience. I always found tethering took a bit of time to establish whereas this is instantaneous. Tethering was also very unreliable (that little noise it makes when dropping the connection was the bane of my existence!).

However when I started to test the connection I got some interesting results!
    When tethered speedtest reports my location and ISP correctly, I get 160ms ping and DL of about 1.4Mbps. OK for a 3G connection.

So then I tried without tethering. Now I'm apparently in China and my ISP is Research in Motion Ping is massive 700ms ish and speed is slow (0.12Mbps). One test used a server in Xiamen and another in Macau!

Anyone care to speculate as to WTF?
    08-24-11 07:18 PM
187 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD