This is truly amazing! BB news feeds, Slaker Radio, Weater, Score Mobile, even videos on Cb work, You tube works! This is epic! Notice the haters are quiet! This is a great bb day, my 9810 should arrive today! Man!!!!!
    08-24-11 12:42 PM
    I haven't been really paying attention all day, even after I updated my PB this morning (my 9930 last night), so I only found this out about 20 minutes ago and WOW, this changes everything! Methinks I will be getting rid of my Tablet connection add on.
    08-24-11 12:43 PM
    Anyone who pays for additional tethering charges should be smiling right now. I never did, but was thinking about upgrading to a plan that included tethering... definitely not! The Playbook isn't only amazing, it saves people money!
    08-24-11 01:01 PM
    Yep, I'm so stoked by this. Now I don't have to tether, which means I can continue to still get my emails.
    to think i was going to get rid of my unlimited data this week! not now.
    08-24-11 01:02 PM
    What a surprise. RIM needs to get the word out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 01:15 PM
    I have not read the entire thread but now BING also works if I can believe that my wifi is really off. Poynt is not rushing to fix my location.

Someone mentioned the bbnews app. Mine does not seem to be updating. Actually, not using it all that often, how do you get rid of old stuff in there?
    Last edited by F2; 08-24-11 at 01:32 PM.
    08-24-11 01:24 PM
    Native e-mail doesn't seem as important now. ;-)
    Actually this feature sets up the Wifi only Playbook being a truely mobile tablet. Because when native email come it will be able to use the bridge feature to download emails.

08-24-11 01:24 PM
    They just made the PlayBook "wirelessless".
    AbsoluteT23 likes this.
    08-24-11 01:29 PM
    Actually this feature sets up the Wifi only Playbook being a truely mobile tablet. Because when native email come it will be able to use the bridge feature to download emails.

That's a little redundant, isn't it, considering the Playbook already uses the Bridge to download email?
    08-24-11 01:29 PM
    That's a little redundant, isn't it, considering the Playbook already uses the Bridge to download email?
    well, no. the current bridge does NOT download mail, it simply lets you see mail - nothing is actually on the playbook. this would actually allow you to download mail, so your mailbox on the playbook would be up to date without having to have a wifi connection.
    08-24-11 01:35 PM
    Anyone who pays for additional tethering charges should be smiling right now. I never did, but was thinking about upgrading to a plan that included tethering... definitely not! The Playbook isn't only amazing, it saves people money!
    And this is why I'm wondering if this feature was inadvertently included. The fact that it saves people money means that it's costing carriers money, in the form of increased bandwidth usage and decreased revenues. The carriers don't control the PB, but they have something to say about what BB software is supported on devices that they carry. I just find myself waiting for the other shoe to fall.
    08-24-11 01:41 PM
    And this is why I'm wondering if this feature was inadvertently included. The fact that it saves people money means that it's costing carriers money, in the form of increased bandwidth usage and decreased revenues. The carriers don't control the PB, but they have something to say about what BB software is supported on devices that they carry. I just find myself waiting for the other shoe to fall.
    Actually it's only costing USA carriers considering they are as$ backwards to the rest of the world and actually charge extra for tethering

08-24-11 01:44 PM
    OMG This is HUGE!!!!!! Now I can use Poynt and Bing maps while on the road!!
    08-24-11 01:44 PM
    I can now use the F1 app out and about......sweet.
    08-24-11 01:49 PM
    well, no. the current bridge does NOT download mail, it simply lets you see mail - nothing is actually on the playbook. this would actually allow you to download mail, so your mailbox on the playbook would be up to date without having to have a wifi connection.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. Point taken.
    08-24-11 01:51 PM
    This is pretty awesome - I noticed this on my commute to work this morning. I forgot to activate tethering yet my gee reader and newspaper apps were updating content. I was so confused. lol I am glad to see this thread confirm my findings! It's nice that I don't have to use tethering and wait for my PB to authenticate and aquire an IP address. BB Bridge is just so great especially paired with the Bold 9900. So happy right now!

08-24-11 01:52 PM
    Next we'll have LED notifications...! *crosses fingers*
    08-24-11 01:56 PM
    Loving this feature! Definitely changes the tablet landscape!

US Carriers are mastering the art of charging us multiple times for the same service. And they've been allowed to get away with it. Its not costing them anything additional, they're just greedy.

If you have an unlimited data plan (grandfathered in with a true "unlimited" plan). They have no right to tell you how much you can or cannot use it as long as you're not doing anything illegal. Can't speak for all carriers, but AT&T will surely try to find a way to make more money from this or block it.

Kudos to RIM for making their devices work to the benefit of the user and for once, not the greedy carriers.
    dadymon and TnTimberry like this.
    08-24-11 02:12 PM
    This is a really, really clever advance in connectivity. Bravo RIM!

The competition and their pipsqueak minions must be sitting there in slack jawed disbelief.
    08-24-11 02:17 PM
    Yes, I am smiling as I just dropped my tethering plan!
    08-24-11 02:20 PM
    This is really a nice feature that no other tablet has it.
    Please, stop complaining for once and for all.
    We have the best tablet, period.
    08-24-11 02:24 PM
    This is nice!

08-24-11 02:25 PM
    This is a really, really clever advance in connectivity. Bravo RIM!

The competition and their pipsqueak minions must be sitting there in slack jawed disbelief.
    Giving something back to their faithful followers is always a great idea.

Looks like RIM just gave the finger to everyone that dumped their bb phones.
    08-24-11 02:27 PM
    RIM: You just made this tablet worth it to me about 100x over with just this update.

WOW!
    08-24-11 02:32 PM
    Definitely a "**** Yeahhhh", but now I ask this: Will Tether (the app) continue with it's plan for introducing an app for the Pb?? I really don't care, but will still purchase it, just in case!
    grindcorefan likes this.
    08-24-11 02:39 PM
187 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD