This is huge! I'm one of those BES users whose MDS isn't setup for internet access and I can now access the internet with the bridge connection. The Bridge Browser still only allows access through the BES, but the regular browser can use the BIS connection.
    me too. This is the first time i've been able to browse using bridge (other than for the few minutes after I update OSs and haven't reconnect to my BES server).
    08-24-11 11:16 AM
    Since Appworld and Kobo reader don't connect automatically I'm guessing RIM is reserving bandwidth and high usage apps to tethered and WIFI only to protect customers not realizing how much they will kill their data plan. Smart actually and will save RIM from customers complaining that they are getting huge bills a month after the update.
    Vevo works through the bridge.

Probably the biggest, most popular, data gobbling app on the market right now.

I'm guess the App World utilizes your PIN, which it can't detect through your phone's bridge, and as for Kobo...well, maybe it just sucks.
    08-24-11 11:17 AM
    Question: I am on AT&T and I updated my Bridge yesterday. Is that the reason I am not seeing what you are seeing? When I try to open bridge browser, I get a message saying I need to purchase a tethering plan.

And my apps won't connect like you are saying...
    08-24-11 11:19 AM
    its graet, most of apps works, but we need also app world and video chat work with bridge
    08-24-11 11:21 AM
    Question: I am on AT&T and I updated my Bridge yesterday. Is that the reason I am not seeing what you are seeing? When I try to open bridge browser, I get a message saying I need to purchase a tethering plan.

Delete the bridge on your phone and download the version in the first post on this forum. I have att and everything is working. Apps work. using the full browser now on the full CB site. Great speed.
    cinder0008 likes this.
    08-24-11 11:24 AM
    me too. This is the first time i've been able to browse using bridge (other than for the few minutes after I update OSs and haven't reconnect to my BES server).
    Yep, I'm so stoked by this. Now I don't have to tether, which means I can continue to still get my emails.

because you downloaded the wrong bridge.you need to use the OTA bridge version.its on the sticky on top of this thread
    wow...been testing this and i am impressed and happy. Could not watch video thru bridge browser before...because of the IT policy on the BES. Now....however.....no problem using regular browser with wifi shut off !!!

Opens up a lot more functionality with apps when not near wifi. I travel quite a bit so this will be very helpful !!!

cheers,
    heavy
    08-24-11 11:26 AM
    This is huge and is great.

But I just thought of something, when both wifi and bridge are connected, how do we make sure that our playbook is using wifi for the data?

This may not be a concern for some, but there are people with limited data plan on their BB.
    08-24-11 11:28 AM
    My PlayBook can now officially be used as my GPS. It may not be turn by turn, but it's good enough. And with the Native SDK almost released, a turn by turn app probably isn't far off.

This may have been a maintenance update, but for me, it's by far the biggest and best update yet.
    08-24-11 11:33 AM
    Kindle Cloud reader now works through the regular browser with WiFi turned off and bridge turned on. Not a huge deal, but it does mean you can have Cloud Reader in the normal browser and still use it away from WiFi.

This is a big deal. I wonder if Verizon will get wise and want to charge for tethering now.
    This is huge!
    08-24-11 11:37 AM
    Ok so we officially don't need "bridge browser"... Cause browser works just the same... Cool

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 11:38 AM

But I just thought of something, when both wifi and bridge are connected, how do we make sure that our playbook is using wifi for the data?

This may not be a concern for some, but there are people with limited data plan on their BB.
    It appears there is a priority sequence. When I first tested this using The Weather Network App, it initially told me data was unavailable but then populated all the fields.
    08-24-11 11:39 AM

I just tested this out...apparently the same 'prioritization' found on our phone regarding WiFi data vs 3G data (Bridge) data is present on the PlayBook...with WiFi off, I opened up a couple apps...the up/down arrow on the phone was going crazy, while the PB loaded everything up. When I turned WiFi back on (on the PB) and loaded the same apps up, the up/down data arrow on the phone was nowhere to be found.

So, we're good...
    08-24-11 11:43 AM
    Dang it, I'll have to wait until I get home to get it but can't wait. I have the updated bridge on my phone but not the playbook update so the reg browser isn't working for me yet.
    08-24-11 11:52 AM
    HUGE HUGE HUGE!

i understand why Video Chat is not enabled via Bridge connection. It should probably only be used via Wifi so a) it will work without really annoying stutters and b) it doesn't crash networks.

Kobo could be the same (assuming the book files are rather large).

Same with App World (although the average app is only a few MB).

Things are really picking up!
    08-24-11 11:55 AM
    Holy smokes! This is amazing!!!!!! This thing is now "Always On"!!!! No need to maintain two browsers now....all bookmarks and cookies are available. Wow!
    Last edited by Matt J; 08-24-11 at 12:23 PM.
    08-24-11 12:13 PM
    Not just huge! This is galactic for me! Only blackberry has this. Awesome update! This is what bridge should be all about.
    08-24-11 12:21 PM
    I wonder whether a bug or not. If it's a bug, this will be big joke for us.
    08-24-11 12:25 PM
    if that happens...i'm smashing my pb..
    08-24-11 12:26 PM
    I thought that for second. My browser went to error, no network connection. Then I realized I was out of the bluetooth range of my phone.
    08-24-11 12:28 PM
    Native e-mail doesn't seem as important now. ;-)
    08-24-11 12:30 PM
    This feature doesn't seem to be working. Bridged, wifi off, no connection.
    08-24-11 12:32 PM
    This feature doesn't seem to be working. Bridged, wifi off, no connection.
    Have you updated both the PB and the bridge?
    08-24-11 12:35 PM
    This is GREAT...Apps really work without wifi...Am loving the amplified BlackBerry experience even more...RIMpire Strikes Back...Now give us some more and release OS 2...
    08-24-11 12:35 PM
187 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD