Please try 0.0.4. F2 has pointed out this issue and a fix has been made. Now it requests a permission to access Shared folders which is probably what you want
    nappp and xanderten50 like this.
    05-19-13 10:31 PM
    just to announce great interest here too.

And I'd immediately buy
    - an aditable adblock list
    -and/or a way to modify browser signature so that my preferred sites do not autoswitch to their (generally poor) 'mobile version'...

Thank you, go on and all the best!
    Herv�
    05-20-13 04:25 AM
    just to announce great interest here too.

And I'd immediately buy
    - an aditable adblock list
    -and/or a way to modify browser signature so that my preferred sites do not autoswitch to their (generally poor) 'mobile version'...

Thank you, go on and all the best!
    Herv�
    Thanks for your feedback. I have a need for the second item also. So that will definitely be implemented.

For the editable adblock list, what level of flexibility do you want to get? It is currently subscribing to a host file available online and it seems to be working rather well. Do you want to have an ability to create a host list on your own? Or you want to be able to create a custom list of host files that you would subscribe to?
    05-20-13 06:37 AM
    The only thing is this browser is not stable yet. People do not want to use a browser that randomly crashes do they?
    Granted - but so far Origami hasn't crashed once. Plus it's awesome ;-) But I do see your point - will definitely try 0.0.4 when I get home!
    05-20-13 06:51 AM
    Also, a minor thing (and probably just me so far, coming from non BB phones etc.) could you add an option to turn the trackpad off? So far I found I had no use for it, but more often than not I caught it when swiping!
    SifJar likes this.
    05-20-13 06:56 AM
    For the editable adblock list, what level of flexibility do you want to get? It is currently subscribing to a host file available online and it seems to be working rather well. Do you want to have an ability to create a host list on your own? Or you want to be able to create a custom list of host files that you would subscribe to?
    The purpose would be to help filtering non-US-generated ads; for instance here in France not all adservers contain 'ad' in their url... so the possibility to add some items of my own would be welcome, however you see it fit. Maybe maintaining a separate 'personal' user list in addition to the generic one would be better; maybe also on the contrary user-generated rules should be made available to others...
    Last, subscribing to well known lists would be fine too (there are renowned examples) but generally speaking my idea was to get the possibility to add some exclusion rules.
    Thank you for your excellent work anyway!
    H.
    05-20-13 08:01 AM
    Amazing first attempt! The UI is just top notch. I love Fast Browser, but its UI is a bit clunky. This is elegant and polished - very professional looking. Please do keep working on it, and when you're ready to publish it through AppWorld, I'll be one of the first people in line with my wallet open...

RCK
    05-20-13 08:57 AM
    As most others have said, great UI. Top notch. A couple of things I will say; I don't like the track pad. I can see others do like it, but I don't, and would love an option to disable it. Also, is there any way to implement the bezel swipes with the bottom bezel? Or is that not accessible to app devs? I say this because I have often found myself swiping the bottom bezel in the stock browser in an attempt to go back, and it'd be great if it actually worked. But I guess top bezel is better than no bezel...

Another thing I would quite like is if it where possible to hide the URL bar, but leave the tabs, so it was possible to switch tabs without swiping down from the top bezel each time, but still have a bit more screen space than with the URL bar. Perhaps an option to only show it on blank tabs or something?

Don't mean to come off demanding or anything, just want to offer a few suggestions. Feel free to completely ignore them of course, you seem to do being a great job already

EDIT: I'm actually starting to like the track pad a little more. One annoyance with it though is when you scroll past the top or bottom of a page using the track pad, it doesn't "snap back" the way it does when scrolling normally.

Also had one other though; if there is any way to do it, a username/password saver would be awesome. AFAIK, no other native browser has that and Android browsers experience a speed bottle neck, so they're out. For most sites it's not a big issue, but when cookies expire or whatever, it's a tad annoying to have to re-enter login data.
    Last edited by SifJar; 05-20-13 at 04:18 PM.
    05-20-13 11:34 AM
    not bad as an app. Actually, the best browser on playbook up to date. Kind of laggy and slow at times. Any way you can compile this so it runs faster?

Can't wait for voice control. Maybe you can team up with the dev of sayit and maybe give him a certain percent of profits.

Either way, love it!!!
    05-20-13 12:42 PM
    This looks great. Out of all of the browsers available on the Playbook this one feels the most natural. I just need it to have bookmarks and preferably some kind of "new tab" page and I'd happily buy Origami to use as my primary browser.

I really like the elegance of the interface, all the most useful functions (switch between desktop/mobile modes, private browsing, booster, etc.) are accessible from a single button press, which is how it should be and is one of the things I dislike most about the stock browser.

Like others have said I found the trackpad thing kind of distracting and it's not something I would use so the option to turn it off would be nice but not essential for me.
    05-20-13 04:25 PM
    great feedback everyone, and thank you Dev for your responses to everyone! This is how a great relationship is built

Sent from an ATM
    05-20-13 07:11 PM
    Also, a minor thing (and probably just me so far, coming from non BB phones etc.) could you add an option to turn the trackpad off? So far I found I had no use for it, but more often than not I caught it when swiping!
    As most others have said, great UI. Top notch. A couple of things I will say; I don't like the track pad. I can see others do like it, but I don't, and would love an option to disable it. Also, is there any way to implement the bezel swipes with the bottom bezel? Or is that not accessible to app devs? I say this because I have often found myself swiping the bottom bezel in the stock browser in an attempt to go back, and it'd be great if it actually worked. But I guess top bezel is better than no bezel...

Another thing I would quite like is if it where possible to hide the URL bar, but leave the tabs, so it was possible to switch tabs without swiping down from the top bezel each time, but still have a bit more screen space than with the URL bar. Perhaps an option to only show it on blank tabs or something?

Don't mean to come off demanding or anything, just want to offer a few suggestions. Feel free to completely ignore them of course, you seem to do being a great job already

EDIT: I'm actually starting to like the track pad a little more. One annoyance with it though is when you scroll past the top or bottom of a page using the track pad, it doesn't "snap back" the way it does when scrolling normally.

Also had one other though; if there is any way to do it, a username/password saver would be awesome. AFAIK, no other native browser has that and Android browsers experience a speed bottle neck, so they're out. For most sites it's not a big issue, but when cookies expire or whatever, it's a tad annoying to have to re-enter login data.
    This looks great. Out of all of the browsers available on the Playbook this one feels the most natural. I just need it to have bookmarks and preferably some kind of "new tab" page and I'd happily buy Origami to use as my primary browser.

I really like the elegance of the interface, all the most useful functions (switch between desktop/mobile modes, private browsing, booster, etc.) are accessible from a single button press, which is how it should be and is one of the things I dislike most about the stock browser.

Like others have said I found the trackpad thing kind of distracting and it's not something I would use so the option to turn it off would be nice but not essential for me.
    Trackpad
    Thanks all. Everything is written to be modular. So it is very easy to turn a particular feature such as trackpad on/off. For those who are using it, there will also be an option to adjust its position relative to the bottom corner. Once I implement the settings manager, these options will be available for you.

The initial idea was to make a D-pad which enables you to enter 8-directional commands. Implementation is easy enough but I am not sure how useful it will be. Current implementation is for scrolling the page faster with minimal finger movement while saving you from accidentally clicking links.
    OrigamiBrowser - Experimental Release-touchpad.png

Fullscreen view
    As for hiding the URL bar, I can give you an option to do so. However, it will require some UI rearrangement and another way to access the menu button. As an alternative, I am testing gesture-based tab switching from the top bezel so you don't need to exit fullscreen view to switch between neighboring tabs.

Bottom bezel
    This is one of the first things that I tried out when I started developing this app. As it turned out, it is reserved for system and Android Player only. Sigh...

Username & password
    Absolutely. I already got a backbone JavaScript written to do this
    Last edited by pcshun; 05-20-13 at 10:43 PM.
    05-20-13 09:54 PM
    Great work on the browser pcshun, gave it a whirl last night and was really impressed with the UI.

Looking forward to the updates mentioned, will buy it in a heartbeat once it hits app world!

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 10:15 PM
    The purpose would be to help filtering non-US-generated ads; for instance here in France not all adservers contain 'ad' in their url... so the possibility to add some items of my own would be welcome, however you see it fit. Maybe maintaining a separate 'personal' user list in addition to the generic one would be better; maybe also on the contrary user-generated rules should be made available to others...
    Last, subscribing to well known lists would be fine too (there are renowned examples) but generally speaking my idea was to get the possibility to add some exclusion rules.
    Thank you for your excellent work anyway!
    H.
    Host file
    Got it. It would take some time to develop an in-app host file editor. More likely you will have to write one on your PC and load it onto the browser.
    The current filter is http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt which can be found at: https://code.google.com/p/ad-away/wiki/HostsSources.

The implementation I am thinking is for you to put your custom host file under Public folder in Dropbox. And you will enter the URL of the file, which the browser will download it on a set interval or on-demand basis to keep it up-to-date.

not bad as an app. Actually, the best browser on playbook up to date. Kind of laggy and slow at times. Any way you can compile this so it runs faster?

Can't wait for voice control. Maybe you can team up with the dev of sayit and maybe give him a certain percent of profits.

Either way, love it!!!
    Voice search
    It is probably going to take a while to develop this feature. And I cannot guarantee it will be there but I have an idea of what needs to be done to achieve it. As for speeding things up, Adobe Air has its own limitations. I will fine tune it for every mile-stone release though.

Amazing first attempt! The UI is just top notch. I love Fast Browser, but its UI is a bit clunky. This is elegant and polished - very professional looking. Please do keep working on it, and when you're ready to publish it through AppWorld, I'll be one of the first people in line with my wallet open...

RCK

Great work on the browser pcshun, gave it a whirl last night and was really impressed with the UI.

Looking forward to the updates mentioned, will buy it in a heartbeat once it hits app world!

Posted via CB10
    great feedback everyone, and thank you Dev for your responses to everyone! This is how a great relationship is built

Sent from an ATM
    Haha. I should have made it clear but I am not planning on monetizing this app. I am a weekend coder who just needed a browser that meets my needs. Crossing my fingers that someday I get enough reps so that when BB releases BB11 or whatever, I get to play with its Dev Alpha. That's all
    nappp, xanderten50, Cynycl and 2 others like this.
    05-20-13 11:04 PM
    Free? Wow! Just wow!

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    05-21-13 12:39 AM
    Thanks for the browser. I really like the feel of it. Swiping for going back, foward and reloading is great.
    Also the trackpad is a nice way of scrolling up/down of those endless websites.
    I am glad some devs are still suporting the playbook. kudos to you guys.
    Cheers
    El Bori and nappp like this.
    05-21-13 12:56 AM
    Hey again,

Just wondering why origami has that weird user agents
    - desktop mode: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1468.0 Safari/537.36
    -non desktop mode:Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; Nexus 7 Build/JRO03D) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Safari/535.19

Lets say that I can somehow understand windows on desktop mode (but I am linux guy...), but I do not get point about android as mobile one. It causes that some websites are showing infos about mobile apps etc.

Is there any way to change user agents for that modes ?
    05-21-13 03:35 AM
    Hey again,

Just wondering why origami has that weird user agents
    - desktop mode: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1468.0 Safari/537.36
    -non desktop mode:Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; Nexus 7 Build/JRO03D) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Safari/535.19

Lets say that I can somehow understand windows on desktop mode (but I am linux guy...), but I do not get point about android as mobile one. It causes that some websites are showing infos about mobile apps etc.

Is there any way to change user agents for that modes ?
    User agents
    This browser is meant to be used in portrait orientation. With the defaukt playbook user agent you will get a desktop view, which by design optimized for landscape orientation only. This did not meet my needs so a user agent for a similar form factor (nexus 7) was chosen.

Desktop mode uses the latest user agent string for Google Chrome running on windows 7. The setup I have on my PCs. Again, this is something you can change in the soon-to-come settings manager.
    05-21-13 07:13 AM
    Love the speeds...haven't experienced any checkerboards as yet. so far excellent.
    El Bori likes this.
    05-21-13 07:58 AM
    Host file
    Got it. It would take some time to develop an in-app host file editor. More likely you will have to write one on your PC and load it onto the browser.
    The current filter is (...)
    The implementation I am thinking is for you to put your custom host file under Public folder in Dropbox. And you will enter the URL of the file, which the browser will download it on a set interval or on-demand basis to keep it up-to-date.
    Why on Dropbox rather than straight on the device in an ordinary folder?
    Not that I have something against Dropbox, but honestly this imposes an account there that you do not master...
    05-21-13 09:52 AM
    Why on Dropbox rather than straight on the device in an ordinary folder
    The best would be to allow to specify an url or file path. Then dropbox, official adblock list, local file is possible

Having it online is way better for me, because it updates automatically.

@pcshun thanks for clarification about user agent

What would be also cool, I think is if trackpad works until released. I mean, instead of detecting end of trackpad by measuring where it is, I think better might be having it working until screen touch continues.
    05-21-13 11:28 AM
    I must say this browser is the best...
    05-21-13 12:51 PM
    I'm loving this. Great start, it's fast and minimal. Tried FastBrowser, but could not get on with it. Can't wait to see where this goes in the future, well done.

I have a suggestion, when you click on a link and it opens in another tab, it does so in the background. If you have the screen in fullscreen mode, you don't see the new tab appear and you wonder if anything happened.

Could you either add an option to activate a new tab when it is opened or flash the toolbar to show a new tab has been opened like the default browser does.
    05-21-13 12:55 PM
    I am probably being a dummy - but it has been a long morning. Once I unzip the file, how do I install the app?

thks in advance from a brain dead dummy
    05-21-13 02:10 PM
    I am probably being a dummy - but it has been a long morning. Once I unzip the file, how do I install the app?

thks in advance from a brain dead dummy
    How To: Sideload Android apps on PlayBook OS v2.0 for use with the Android App Player | CrackBerry.com (it says Android apps, but it's the same process for installing any BAR file)
    05-21-13 02:21 PM
936 1234 ...