Hi,

this is an open letter to RIM begging them to approve the 2 email clients for Playbook: EarlyBird and aMail.

I have been traveling across the pond for 2 weeks with my CDMA Storm2 and PB. Not having an email client on my PB made me regret buying it for the first time.

Once in Europe, I realized I didnt have a SIM card in my phone, so no phone/data, which was convenient since I didnt want to pay roaming fees. This left me with my Storm2 (wifi) and PB (wifi too). Somehow, my hotel's wifi was not compatible with the BB BIS system, and could not connect my Storm2 nor my PB to the internet (my gf's iphone did well and downloaded her email in 10 sec. flat). Hence, I had to hack my way on wifi networks from curbs, stuck with low signal strength, deconnections, etc.... Worst once connected to BIS through wifi, email download cannot be triggered (no refresh button on BB) so I had to wait by the curbside up to 20 MIN! for my email to download on my BB. In contrast, my PB had easier access to wifi networks out there, but could not download anything since it does not have an email client.

Two non-BIS email clients are out there for PB, aMail and EarlyBird. I understand that these apps do not comply with RIM's SDK license, but since RIM does not provide an email solution for their clients, RIM (you) HAS THE MORAL RESPONSIBILITY TO FAST-TRACK THESE TWO APPS and approve them UNTIL THEY PROVIDE A BIS EMAIL SOLUTION. And even if you provide a BIS solution, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ADVANTAGES TO DIRECT POP/IMAP CONNECTIONS BETWEEN PB AND AN EMAIL SERVER.

Please, think about your clients and allow us to download emails our our tablets.... not having these two apps approved is a nightmare.

KingB
    08-15-11 11:44 AM
    amail is done and gone already. the took some money and ran it would appear.
    08-15-11 11:47 AM
    if they got treated like s*it by RIM, then this is not surprising....

I feel with PB, now that there is one centralized way to get apps, RIM is a bully like Apple, they dictate what they want instead of listening to customers/developpers.
    08-15-11 12:30 PM
    Well, I did some searching, and found a little bit of info on the guy behind AiFlex. It looks like it was probably just something he did on-the-side, and has since given up on since getting a real job.

Here's his blog: Will Powell
    And his LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=60591157
    And some limited and minimally-useful company info: AIFLEX LTD - 06740296 - HP9 2YW BEACONSFIELD BUCKS - company credit reports and accounts - bizzy

Of course we've heard even less about EarlyBird.

Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe, any developer sufficiently capable of writing/porting a full-fledged E-Mail client would also be the sort of developer who thumbs their nose at Adobe Air? (Once we get an NDK, and BBOS/Android Java "players", I think this problem will be corrected very quickly.)
    08-15-11 01:06 PM
    So what you want to rectify this problem is a native email client, which wouldn't have worked anyway since you don't know how to connect to your hotel's wifi...

Seems logical to me!
    08-15-11 01:17 PM
    The router's setup page (accessible since they left the 'admin' 'admin' default passwords unchanged) even mentioned that the internet was not properly configured. So that was a problem with that particular router.

But the more vexing problem is all those PB out there without an email client. Heck my old HP iPAQ could download emails, 8 years ago.

RIM should approve an email solution for App world NOW.
    08-15-11 02:41 PM
    curious but did you use the amail program yet? Many people didnt exactly give it a glowing report
    08-15-11 02:45 PM
    they released a beta, the full version is submitted to Appworld, supposingly.
    08-15-11 02:53 PM
    Just curious, was there a reason you didn't access your email via the web from your PlayBook, since you said you could connect to wifi easier with it? In any case, RIM did provide an "email solution".. it's called Bridge. You can't blame them for the wifi in your hotel not working.

Also, regardless of how the aMail developer was treated or not treated by RIM, that doesn't give him a right to rip off people that paid for his app (if that's what actually happened, I'm not sure how all that ended up.)

I don't feel RIM has a "moral responsibility to fast track these 2 clients". Say they did that, then the apps stole all your information... then there would be an uproar about "RIM fast tracked these 2 clients and now look what happened!!"

It's not a secret that the PlayBook doesn't have native email. If there is ever a doubt that the wifi you will be connecting to (especially while traveling in a foreign country) isn't going to be 100% functional or reliable, and email is vital to your day, then I would personally suggest planning a back up or alternative.

Finally, I've not been to Europe, but don't they have internet cafes, or Starbucks, or a library maybe...all sorts of places offer free wifi these days. *shrugs*
    08-15-11 02:57 PM
    Just a small other note on your blackberry you can initiate a mail sync and not have to wait for BIS to send them to you. What you have to do is open your email messages and click the Blackberry button. Then select the option Reconcile Now... that will initiate a sync of your messages.
    08-15-11 03:21 PM
    -tried at least 20 times the 'Reconcile' button, BIS took up to 20 min to send me my email.
    -about using Web, just think about addressing 100+ emails through a web page, by a curb, one by one through Wifi. The point of email clients is to download, do whatever you want, and then upload/sync.
    -some of us (you) obviously dont need a native/app client. Good for you. Some of us do use PB/email for business, and email has to be taken care of swiftly. Not through webpages. isnt that a strength of BB? not PB.
    -critics were really vocal about lack of native email. Not approving pop/imap apps is even worst. Critics were saying Rim is shooting itself in the foot... it did in my book.
    -still no specific date for a native email solution or an app. Native email will take a huge BIS/BES update. it will take a while for that to happen...

again, email through wifi on PB is terrible. Solutions are at our fingertips. They just need to be approved.
    08-15-11 04:50 PM
    aMail was unfortunately an application that was doomed from the start. There's no good libraries in actionscript that support the IMAP protocol completely or even partially very well. Lots of different IMAP servers and versions out there that introduce too many variables to keep up with. Once the NDK is released, aMail would have quickly fallen off the charts.

Also, I'll throw this out there, if you really need an email client on your PB, the Android player is currently your best bet. Either use the built in client or grab K9 mail, and then you'll have the ability to get at your email from the PB. Not ideal, and it is a non-supported solution, but it's better then nothing and far better then the aMail solution. (Can't delete emails, seriously?)
    08-15-11 05:10 PM
    ok, so i figured a level view is required. here are the terms and conditions of the SDK`s supplied by RIM.

BlackBerry SDK license agreement

Fig 2, b

For avoidance of any doubt, unless You obtain written authorization from RIM executed by an officer of RIM, You acknowledge that the License (as defined below) does not include and You are not licensed to develop, market, rent, distribute, transfer, license, sublicense, or furnish any software applications which modify, delete, duplicate or replace all or any material part of: (i) the email functionality, or features, of all or any portion of the BlackBerry Solution except where such applications are developed for and distributed solely in connection with RIM Handheld Products in accordance with this License; (ii) the functionality, or features, of all or any portion of a Synchronization Server or Synchronization Agent which has been incorporated by RIM into any portion of the BlackBerry Solution; or (iii) the functionality, or features, of all or any portion of any Distillers which have been incorporated by RIM into the Attachment Service. You further agree not to engage in any of the aforementioned activities or to attempt to do so using any part of the SDK.
    now i will say, that i am yet to see ANY playbook developer (or any BlackBerry dev for that matter) catergorically state
    `i was given prior approval by RIM and my app hasnt been approved`
    of course many developers of apps such as amail may or may not of asked, but im guessing theyd be causing uproar if they`d asked and had the green light then didnt get thru.

of course some of you will say `oh the t`s+c`s dont matter` but of course they do, thats why they are there.
    08-15-11 05:29 PM
    >>> this is an open letter to RIM

FYI: I have been told by several RIM personnel, they are specifically forbidden to interface with non-RIM forums like CB. Which is not to say they do or do not on their own time.

If you really want to make your opinion known to RIM then contact them directly
    BlackBerry Customer Support Center
    1-877-255-2377 (North America Toll Free)
    0808 100 7466 (Toll Free UK Only)
    +44 1753 558400 (Outside UK)
    1-519-888-6181 (Worldwide)
    help@blackberry.com
    Last edited by mandony; 08-15-11 at 05:42 PM.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-15-11 05:37 PM
    First, this agreement predates the PlayBook, and may only have been applied to it (without extra clauses) out of laziness on RIM's part.

But if you actually read that SDK agreement paragraph carefully, it doesn't outright say "you can't create an E-Mail client." While you'd probably need a lawyer to fully interpret it, I think its really talking about creating a BES/BIS replacement. But even then, its not really that clear, since it says you can do such things in cases "where such applications are developed for and distributed solely in connection with RIM Handheld Products in accordance with this License".

There have also been plenty of applications out there (though many may pre-date AppWorld) that modify, duplicate, or replace the e-mail functionality of the BlackBerry phone. However, they're also developed specifically for BlackBerry phones.

RIM is obviously trying to cover a very specific case with this paragraph, and I don't think its quite as clearly stated as you think it is.
    08-15-11 07:14 PM
    good idea for the Android player and its email solution.

on the other hand, reverting to Android for email shows the irony of the lack of email client and disturbing weaknesses of the BB/PB plateform, not just app world.

Regarding the SDK, YOU CANNOT DUPLICATE SOMETHING THAT USERS DONT HAVE I.E. A NATIVE EMAIL CLIENT!
    08-15-11 07:42 PM
    RIM will not approve ANY email or messaging apps that are not theirs. You're stuck with PB.

I've received a refund on my AMEX card because mine was "broken" and they gave me a choice of replace or refund.

Looking at Win7 and Honeycomb tabs now.
    08-15-11 07:44 PM
    but WHY? They are not providing anything to their customers as we speak?
    08-15-11 07:48 PM
    amail is done and gone already. the took some money and ran it would appear.
    I don't believe he took the money and ran. RIMs refusal to approve cost prevented him from making any money. He first attempted to get approval, then tried to get a process for sideloading. Supporting it himself was, I'm sure, a major task and probably not worth the time. Trying to do fixes/updates and the support issues would be a full time job at the least.

He wasn't making enough to do both, IMO.
    08-15-11 07:49 PM
    good idea for the Android player and its email solution.

on the other hand, reverting to Android for email shows the irony of the lack of email client and disturbing weaknesses of the BB/PB plateform, not just app world.

Regarding the SDK, YOU CANNOT DUPLICATE SOMETHING THAT USERS DONT HAVE I.E. A NATIVE EMAIL CLIENT!
    Agree. How can you duplicate a wish and an empty promise?

RIMs business plan - "Promise everything, deliver little"
    08-15-11 07:50 PM
    I don't believe he took the money and ran. RIMs refusal to approve cost prevented him from making any money. He first attempted to get approval, then tried to get a process for sideloading. Supporting it himself was, I'm sure, a major task and probably not worth the time. Trying to do fixes/updates and the support issues would be a full time job at the least.

He wasn't making enough to do both, IMO.
    he put out the trial version with promises of upgrading that few times to correct big errors and then never delivered. People had to pay for the trial and then had to dispute with paypal to get their money back. thats pretty shady if you ask me.
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    08-15-11 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD