BlackBerry App World - PlayBook

Eagerly anticipating an announcement from RIM, but - less than a month from the end of Q1 - I can only find 107 PlayBook apps in App World. This is a far cry from the 4,000 apps we were promised.

I really want the PB to be a huge success, but - in a world where app count is king - this isn't looking too promising.
    Last edited by rbenjamin; 03-07-11 at 08:11 AM.
    03-07-11 08:00 AM
    Maybe they'll port over JaredCo's 4000 ebook titles to fill in the gap

As long as the PB's are giving access to Android apps..then I don't see the apps being a big issue personally. I know it won't be for the apps if I do decide to buy one..it'll be for all the other goodness it offers.
    03-07-11 08:05 AM
    107 finished apps maybe.i don think thy would let the apps into appworld as yet until sometime before launch date until they were fully finished
    03-07-11 08:06 AM
    not all apps will have "For Playbook" in the title or description.

for example: BlackBerry App World - MyFlashCards!
    03-07-11 08:08 AM
    not all apps will have "For Playbook" in the title or description.

for example: BlackBerry App World - MyFlashCards!
    I'm pretty sure the search is returning anything with PlayBook in the listing - including where PlayBook is one of the supported devices.
    03-07-11 08:13 AM
    BlackBerry App World - Flashlight

And this dude gets a free playbook? Wow.

All his app does is turn the screen white - and it is a 1MB app!
    03-07-11 08:15 AM
    I'm pretty sure the search is returning anything with PlayBook in the listing - including where PlayBook is one of the supported devices.
    Well it didn't return the example i gave you so no.
    03-07-11 08:21 AM
    You wouldn't just search playbook but show all playbook category. I doubt it will till playbook is released.
    03-07-11 08:23 AM
    a good resource for new playbook apps is playbookdaily.com

they have apps that are approved for appworld as well as previews for those that are awaiting approval
    03-07-11 08:26 AM
    BlackBerry App World - Flashlight

And this dude gets a free playbook? Wow.

All his app does is turn the screen white - and it is a 1MB app!
    No, in additional to being accepted into Appworld, there are specific conditions to qualify for the free PlayBook offer. They specifically say that apps that perform a simple function like play a sound or display a picture do not qualify.
    03-07-11 08:28 AM
    There are also a number of developers who have approved apps but have not put them up for sale yet prior to proper signing. RIM had previously sent e-mails to some developers specifically telling them to not put their apps up for sale yet. This weekend RIM sent out an e-mail instructing devs to sign their apps in order to put up for sale. You should see more apps up shortly.
    03-07-11 08:30 AM
    That list is wrong anyways as it has PB themes in it, which are for BBs to make them LOOK like a PB.

Look if you are so concerned wait till the device comes out and see, don't get one right away.
    03-07-11 08:32 AM
    BlackBerry App World - PlayBook

Eagerly anticipating an announcement from RIM, but - less than a month from the end of Q1 - I can only find 107 PlayBook apps in App World. This is a far cry from the 4,000 apps we were promised.

I really want the PB to be a huge success, but - in a world where app count is king - this isn't looking too promising.
    OK so just give up now that we know that having the most apps wins. Game over.

You have to be kidding me.
    03-07-11 08:46 AM

It's sad, but it's true. Apps make a phone. What would any smartphone be without it's app catalog backing it up?

Anyways, I'm sure that there is a search error in there somewhere. 107 apps and they all look to be completely crap.
    03-07-11 09:00 AM
    107 for a device that isn't even out yet is actually pretty good. Don't rule out that the regular Blackberry app world with Blackberry apps (20,000+ apps now?) would also be available.

And lol @ that flashlight app and getting a PB free for it.
    03-07-11 09:03 AM
    OK. I am willing to admit when I am wrong. It seems my search was imperfect. Mods should feel free to lock this thread down.

Sorry 'bout that.
    03-07-11 09:05 AM
    Yeah I'd be very shocked if the app that turns the screen white gets a PlayBook. The terms explicitly says that the app can't just display a single graphic. In my opinion that's exactly what that flashlight app does. Hit the icon and display a white background.

Also I got the email telling me to remove my apps for sale and resubmit them after they have been signed. If I got it I'm sure all developers got it. So who knows how many apps have been pulled from app world by the developers in the last few days.

This email came after I got my free PlayBook ordered. So some people with free apps made just to get a free PlayBook may not even bother with signing and resubmitting their apps. I know of one developer who already said he isn't going to mess with it unless he has to do it to get the PlayBook and by the looks of it he don't.

I think RIM may have screwed up by letting everyone order their PlayBooks before they apps were really finished and in app world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-11 09:07 AM
    107 for a device that isn't even out yet is actually pretty good. Don't rule out that the regular Blackberry app world with Blackberry apps (20,000+ apps now?) would also be available.

And lol @ that flashlight app and getting a PB free for it.
    Not until a Java VM is out
    03-07-11 09:08 AM

+1000..... Playbook will never have more apps than Apple or Google. All I care about is that there is enough quality apps and that the platform is easier to develop for than Blackberry phone OS so developers aren't discouraged from it. More Apps will get developed when the device is in peoples hands and units are being sold. This is why I kinda disagree with RIM's long announcement window for "app development" because people will want to test an app on an actual device with the gyroscopes and everything working.
    03-07-11 09:11 AM
    Locked at OP's request.

PS: He did NOTHING wrong in posting this, I'm simply locking it as he requested.
    03-07-11 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD