Also the bridge browser will work great. No need for extra data cost and always connected if you have a BB
    Unless you're on AT&T and then they're going to make you sign up for a tethering plan in order to use Bridge Browser, they just announced today. Bastards...
    07-01-11 01:32 PM
    HTML5 could make the Web the new iPad app store - Jun. 28, 2011

just found this article if amazon does do a web app a simple epub reader might all we need.
    I checked the Kindle for the Web beta app and the proof of concept seems to work ok on the playbook, even after switching wifi off (so the book remained cached somehow).
    Interesting... Wolf.
    07-02-11 01:31 PM
    i read something today and couldnt help but smile. Seems that all the hp touchpad kindle app does right now is bring up a splash screen that states beta and that its coming soon.
    07-02-11 03:24 PM
    sent amazon another email. lol they must be tired of hearing from me by now.. anyways, got the same standard BS form letter again. stay tuned. I'm starting to wonder if they ever had any intention of releasing the app to begin with.
    07-10-11 01:07 AM
    Is this the longest thread about something that doesn't exist?

Tim
    07-10-11 02:00 AM
    sadly, no, threads about Native Email are!
    07-10-11 02:29 AM
    Out of sheer frustration, I phoned Amazon Kindle support to get some sort of update. To my surprise, he took the query seriously and tried to get answers. The best he could get was "sooner rather than later," whatever that means, but he was also able to ascertain that it will be an actual downloaded app, rather than a web app.

Just thought I'd pass that along.
    07-17-11 05:13 PM
    The best he could get was "sooner rather than later," whatever that means, but he was also able to ascertain that it will be an actual downloaded app, rather than a web app.

I'm getting tired of these ambiguous answers from the developers and RIM on features and apps for this thing. I hope that Amazon isn't getting the run around from RIM like the IM+ people apparently are. I'm hoping that the Crypto kernel is approved this week and we see everything we've been waiting for start pouring in. But even then I would be upset that RIM couldn't just say "hey we are waiting on this and when we get it you will be very happy". The pi$s poor communication from RIM on this product is getting really, really old!
    07-17-11 05:39 PM
    i read something today and couldnt help but smile. Seems that all the hp touchpad kindle app does right now is bring up a splash screen that states beta and that its coming soon.
    And now the Kindle app for the brand new HP TouchPad is available. And for the three month old PlayBook? Nothing.

Shocker.
    07-19-11 10:15 AM
    And now the Kindle app for the brand new HP TouchPad is available. And for the three month old PlayBook? Nothing.

Shocker.
    That's pretty depressing.

The Kindle apps for Android and iOS support highlighting and annotation. The BB app, despite the fact that the BB has that nice keyboard, does neither. When I wrote to Amazon about this, I was told there are no plans to bring these features to the BB Kindle app.

Similarly, I was having a problem with the Repligo PDF reader on my 9780 and contacted customer support. The person who responded mentioned the possibility of highlighting and attaching sticky notes to text. In a subsequent email, he apologized and said he forgot that I was using a BB, which doesn't have these features; the Android version does.

These things don't give me a warm feeling.
    07-19-11 10:54 AM
    These things don't give me a warm feeling.
    Nor should they. The development support for BlackBerry devices has always been poor, and each year that competing devices come out (and move further past BlackBerry devices), the lack of developer support becomes more and more apparent... and difficult to overcome.
    07-19-11 11:47 AM
    Out of sheer frustration, I phoned Amazon Kindle support to get some sort of update. To my surprise, he took the query seriously and tried to get answers. The best he could get was "sooner rather than later," whatever that means, but he was also able to ascertain that it will be an actual downloaded app, rather than a web app.

Good job, seriously. I have like 50 kindle books purchased ready to be downloaded to my PB. If they don't release the app soon, it could be the reason I return/sell the PB and go back to an iPad2.
    07-19-11 08:02 PM
    I should add that when the Amazon support rep got back on the phone, he added that they intend that the PB Kindle app should have the same features as the Android and iOS apps--not a stripped down version like the BB phone app.
    07-19-11 10:40 PM
    Good job, seriously. I have like 50 kindle books purchased ready to be downloaded to my PB. If they don't release the app soon, it could be the reason I return/sell the PB and go back to an iPad2.
    send a list of titles you would like to return do to a lack of the Kindle App for the Playbook that was promised in September of 2010
    07-19-11 11:39 PM
    send a list of titles you would like to return do to a lack of the Kindle App for the Playbook that was promised in September of 2010
    Good idea, but their all authorized on other devices. That is the great thong about Kindle, you buy a book and put it on all your phones, computers, tablets...
    07-20-11 07:41 AM
    That is the great thong about Kindle...
    Ok... your typo made me laugh out loud. Now everyone in the office is staring at me.
    07-20-11 10:03 AM
    You can strip the drm from kindle books, then using Calibre convert them to epub and load them into any one of the three epub readers in the app store.
    07-20-11 10:17 AM
    What's all this talk about thongs and striping????? Do I need to bring out the mod stick? lol

Or just die laughing?
    thedark722 likes this.
    07-20-11 10:25 AM
    What's all this talk about thongs and striping?????
    Ah... I missed that connection. Good eye.
    07-20-11 10:29 AM
    Good thing I already have an actual Kindle! I got a PlayBook for my birthday this past Saturday, and it hasn't left my side since. I even take it with me to bed! LOL
    08-02-11 03:53 PM
    I'm making do with the Android Player's Kindle app, but I'd really like to see a native app. The single biggest reason is the Android Player is really draining the battery fast.
    08-03-11 01:47 AM

Shocker.

Personally, I doubt Kindle is even making an app for the Playbook, despite what some people are insisting. I think RIM went to Kindle at the beginning with discussions about the Kindle being the default ebook reader when the Playbook initially shipped, but they couldn't agree to a deal, so the Playbook ended up signing a deal with Kobo instead. I doubt Kindle is in any hurry to create an app for the Playbook. If they did, they would of had one out by now.
    08-03-11 12:02 PM
    I'm making do with the Android Player's Kindle app, but I'd really like to see a native app. The single biggest reason is the Android Player is really draining the battery fast.
    Everyone called me stupid for suggesting that running an app within an operating system, within ANOTHER operating system would require a huge amount of memory and be a drain on battery life. Even Kevin replied to one of my comments months ago saying that it wouldn't require that many resources and that RIM would figure it out.

COOOOOOOOOL
    08-03-11 02:17 PM
    Everyone called me stupid for suggesting that running an app within an operating system, within ANOTHER operating system would require a huge amount of memory and be a drain on battery life. Even Kevin replied to one of my comments months ago saying that it wouldn't require that many resources and that RIM would figure it out.

COOOOOOOOOL
    Could this be what is delaying the Android Player? Just food for thought.
    08-03-11 03:38 PM
    So an avid Kindle Friends of mine who owns a Playbook purchased her First KOBO book last night!

I have told her she needs to e-mail the receipt of the book to Amazon and say that she is still waiting for the Kindle App for the PlayBook
    if enough user email their KOBO book purchases Amazon has to take note of the lost revenue.
    08-04-11 05:21 PM
151 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD