kobo does all this as well
    Kobo says they do this. But their customer support tells something closer to the truth...that the website SHOULD sync to the iphone and blackberry apps...but that syncing to PB is not available.
    06-27-11 10:41 AM
    Kobo says they do this. But their customer support tells something closer to the truth...that the website SHOULD sync to the iphone and blackberry apps...but that syncing to PB is not available.
    I can verify that it syncs your library, but there is no syncing of where you left off reading. that being said, i only use the BB reader when I'm desperate and/or don't have the PB, which is rare.
    06-27-11 04:56 PM
    Without Kindle I don't really want the PB

what? i can see REALLY liking the kindle and kindle apps, but basing your decision to have or not have a playbook on kindle support is kinda far fetched IMO
    06-27-11 05:39 PM
    kobo syncs my galaxy tab and playbook. so i got kindle and kobo on my galaxy, i still gravitate to my playbook for reading.
    06-27-11 07:50 PM
    If such a deal was in place, then that would make RIM monumentally stupid.

If you're going to do a timed-exclusive deal, you do it with the company that's the leader (or one of the leaders). I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty damn sure Kobo only does a fraction of the sales that Amazon does with the Kindle.

I don't see what RIM would gain by giving Kobo a timed-exclusive, but I can see what they have to lose - playbook sales from people who won't purchase because of the lack of Kindle support.
    OK if they (Rim) were paid by the book sale, it may have just been a lump sum.

Anyway no big deal, I still carry the Kindle and the playbook, so again no big deal.
    06-27-11 07:56 PM
    what? i can see REALLY liking the kindle and kindle apps, but basing your decision to have or not have a playbook on kindle support is kinda far fetched IMO
    Why? I don't think I'm the first to have a non-negotiable app or feature requirement. I'm cautiously optimistic that Kindle will arrive, but if it's announced that it won't come to PB after all, I'll sell the PB.
    06-27-11 09:25 PM
    Why? I don't think I'm the first to have a non-negotiable app or feature requirement. I'm cautiously optimistic that Kindle will arrive, but if it's announced that it won't come to PB after all, I'll sell the PB.

Agreed...it's the SAME concept smartphones went through not even 5 years ago, now...pack as much features/functionality into a single device to limit the amount of devices needed, and simplify life. (Smartphone = phone + mp3 + PDA + camera + etc, etc, etc...)

It only makes sense to have a tablet function as an eReader...if RIM/PB can't deliver that via Kindle software (for whatever reason), I'd be inclined to probably ditch mine as well...we've seen TouchPad demos with Kindle already, so the alternatives are looming.

And in regards to the Kindle vs Kobo argument...think of it like the Chevy vs Ford, PC vs Mac, Pepsi vs Coke debates...some of us are just set in our ways/loyalties towards specific brands/vendors - and Amazon/Kindle isn't a bad "team" to root for when it comes to eBooks.
    raremage likes this.
    06-28-11 11:07 AM
    I have over 100 books on my Kindle. Some are academic books, heavily bookmarked, highlighted, and annotated. In nonfiction and academic titles, Kindle is miles ahead of the competition. I'm not giving that up, and just as mgm1979 said, it's good to have to carry one less gadget. Ebook reading should be considered a core function for a tablet computer.

Nothing against Kobo, but Kindle has the gravitas that the PB desperately needs right now. So not only do we need the Kindle app, RIM needs it on the PB asap.
    06-28-11 12:11 PM
    RIM needs to light a fire under Amazon's you know what, or vice versa, or WHATEVER, but like ubizmo said, we NEED Kindle! (Nook would be nice too)
    raremage likes this.
    06-28-11 12:27 PM
    RIM needs to light a fire under Amazon's you know what, or vice versa, or WHATEVER, but like ubizmo said, we NEED Kindle! (Nook would be nice too)
    I would love to know if it is Kindle causing the hold up, or RIM not releasing the Native SDK.

I can see that RIM selected Kobo to be created for launch. And probably handheld them through the development process.
    06-28-11 12:39 PM
    Frankly, I am not sure how much I would use the Kindle app on the PB. I have a K3 which has incredible battery life and a non-backlit screen to ease the eyes. But there would be times it could serve a useful purpose. Both are coming or going on a trip in the next few days. Airline security should have a blast with the devices and chargers and cables and ......
    06-28-11 06:25 PM
    Frankly, I am not sure how much I would use the Kindle app on the PB. I have a K3 which has incredible battery life and a non-backlit screen to ease the eyes. But there would be times it could serve a useful purpose. Both are coming or going on a trip in the next few days. Airline security should have a blast with the devices and chargers and cables and ......
    I thought a backlit screen would be a problem until I tried the Kindle app for PC, in sepia mode. It was no problem at all, and quite enjoyable. Having read one book on Kobo for PB now, which doesn't have sepia mode, the key is to set the screen brightness down to about 25%. I think a good Kindle app, with full support for highlights and notes of course, will work out just fine.
    06-28-11 07:01 PM
    I dropped Kindle when I got my playbook and the promised app wasnt on it. Kobo was...love it...and will never even look at Kindle.

No offense to all of you who had the misfortune of owning a large Kindle Library
    EvilOne70 likes this.
    06-29-11 01:03 AM
    ill keep my pb even if kindle doesnt come as silly as it is. i have a galaxy tab with both on it (10.1" hurts my eyes though). i personally think they are being lazy and wait for the android player like most developers are, lazy developers are lazy!
    06-29-11 06:26 AM
    There are rumors that Amazon is planning to switch from its proprietary mobi format to epub. If this is true, it might explain why there's no Kindle app yet for the PlayBook. Why make a mobi reading app when soon you're going to have to make another one for epub. At least I hope this might explain why there's no Kindle app. Although I like Kobo, it doesn't have the "gravitas" of Kindle, as previously mentioned. And annoyingly, Kobo can't even read epubs. At least the ePub reader app in BB App World makes up for this deficiency.
    06-29-11 08:07 PM
    Tommorrow will be the big day will kindle app get booted from apple store. I really have a feelen that this is with apple store is why we havent seen the kindle app for blackberry because the blackberry app store has some of the same rules as the apple store. Just amazon and blackberry have kept the issues quiet yet.
    06-30-11 09:11 AM
    Just amazon and blackberry have kept the issues quiet yet.
    I think that you are right. RIM wants a piece of everything purchased over the Playbook. Amazon doesn't want to give it or wants to give a smaller amount than RIM wants.

I compared prices on Kobo and Kindle and Kindle is usually a few bucks cheaper. I think the extra bucks go to RIM.
    06-30-11 09:53 AM
    What I don't understand is why HP WebOS tablets that just came out already have kindle, maybe people will argue that Amazon already had an app for WebOS phone, but there must be something else going on, this is not only an app development issue.
    06-30-11 11:47 AM
    Remember, Kobo was pre-installed with the Playbooks when they were released. If Kobo and RIM have some kind of business agreement in place, it's likely RIM is in no hurry to approve a Kindle app for the Playbook, as it undermines the agreement they already have in place with Kobo. Just a thought.
    06-30-11 12:15 PM
    I think that you are right. RIM wants a piece of everything purchased over the Playbook. Amazon doesn't want to give it or wants to give a smaller amount than RIM wants.

I compared prices on Kobo and Kindle and Kindle is usually a few bucks cheaper. I think the extra bucks go to RIM.
    Nothing to do with it. You can buy kobo books on your laptop (same price as through the PB) with nothing whatsoever to do with RIM and the books will be available on your PlayBook - RIM gets nothing from the price difference.
    06-30-11 12:21 PM
    What I don't understand is why HP WebOS tablets that just came out already have kindle, maybe people will argue that Amazon already had an app for WebOS phone, but there must be something else going on, this is not only an app development issue.
    Its cause webos has been out for awhile. Palm used it. The kindle app i read sounds like the same one that was used on palm phones. Also reason that they have angry birds too. Beyond that though their doesnt seem to be alot of new apps out that i have heard off.
    06-30-11 01:45 PM
    HTML5 could make the Web the new iPad app store - Jun. 28, 2011

just found this article if amazon does do a web app a simple epub reader might all we need.
    06-30-11 06:39 PM
    HTML5 could make the Web the new iPad app store - Jun. 28, 2011

just found this article if amazon does do a web app a simple epub reader might all we need.
    Could be also why we havent seen a kindle playbook app. Also suspect its maybe why amazon isnt worried about getting kicked out of Apple store. Says beta coming soon.
    07-01-11 08:37 AM
    Could be also why we havent seen a kindle playbook app. Also suspect its maybe why amazon isnt worried about getting kicked out of Apple store. Says beta coming soon.
    Also the bridge browser will work great. No need for extra data cost and always connected if you have a BB
    07-01-11 09:08 AM
    The article says the web apps should support offline reading. This will be an important detail, since one would like to be able to read on airplanes and so on. The app itself will need to be cached so it can be used anytime.
    07-01-11 12:04 PM
151 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD