does kobo read pdf's?
    06-17-11 03:03 PM
    nope.... it doesn'ts
    06-17-11 04:19 PM
    I would also say that on every other platform on which I have used a Kindle app (including BB, iPhone, iPad, and Android) the app is rock solid and works great.
    I have found the kindle app to be very good too on my blackberry and it is so annoying that it is not available officially outside north america as it worked just fine when I switched my kindle from amazon.com to .co.uk, but then I switched to a new device and lost the app.
    06-18-11 09:15 AM
    i wasn't going to get a Playbook until the Kindle app became available, but my family got me one for Father's Day. So now i want that app even more! i really hope "stay tuned" means soon.
    06-19-11 07:03 PM
    I have found the kindle app to be very good too on my blackberry and it is so annoying that it is not available officially outside north america as it worked just fine when I switched my kindle from amazon.com to .co.uk, but then I switched to a new device and lost the app.
    I use it in UK. Go to www.amazon.com/kindlebb and download from there. You can login with your amazon.co.uk account but not use the store on the app- just buy the books on the website and they will automatically sync over anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 07:29 AM
    All of the above, plus, and as mentioned below, Kindle syncs across all your devices. If you read a bit on the kindle, a bit on the phone, a bit on the the pc, and a bit on the tablet, kindle keeps track of where you are in the book across all these platforms. And it is, IMHO, a better UI than Kobo (assuming the Kindle for Playbook looks something like their other platform apps). Not that Kobo is rotten, or anything, but I like the kindle approach, and also the way there are established and relatively easy ways to get the various e-text formats onto the kindle in reasonably readable fashion. Also, I like the Amazon store which is also accessible across the platforms.
    kobo does all this as well
    06-25-11 10:55 PM
    kobo does all this as well
    Not with the mass of ebooks I already have with Kindle it doesn't. I also prefer the Kindle display so I don't think it worth my time to try side-loading, converting, etc, not if Amazon delivers on the Kindle for Playbook app. But there's no accounting for taste and YVMV.
    06-26-11 12:57 AM
    Not with the mass of ebooks I already have with Kindle it doesn't. I also prefer the Kindle display so I don't think it worth my time to try side-loading, converting, etc, not if Amazon delivers on the Kindle for Playbook app. But there's no accounting for taste and YVMV.
    yes. but that could be argued for kindle as well - kindle wont tell you what page you were reading in your kobo app.

i get that you have a big library with kindle. i can see why you're desparate for a kindle app - i would like one as well. but i've started with Kobo and have found no problems with it at all. works absolutely fine across my laptop, PB and BB phone.
    i don't buy enough ebooks to be able to compare price. and i've also heard that kindle has a much bigger store. but Kobo is technically as efficient as kindle.
    06-26-11 01:35 AM
    since kindle hasnt showed up at pb, i started using kobo. to my surprise, its just like kindle. so now i dont mind if there is no kindle. i can share my kobo books on the other devices also
    06-26-11 03:31 AM
    The longer Amazon stays out of the game, the more folks who could find Kobo a reasonable and permanent alternative.
    06-26-11 07:50 AM
    Which your gotta wonder was the plan?
    06-26-11 09:33 AM
    So if your like me & just starting out with ebooks (I literally have none) then you guys think Kobo is good? I just hate to start buying only to find out Kindle is better

06-26-11 09:53 AM
    Which your gotta wonder was the plan?
    Why would Amazon want people to go and seek alternatives?

The fact that Kobo comes with the Playbook should be a concern with Amazon. Plenty of people who commit to that alternative to Kindle will stick with it for a while, resulting in a lot of lost sales.

There's no way around it - the longer Amazon waits, the worse it is for them.
    06-26-11 11:53 AM
    Agreed. I have a lot of Kindle books, but I bought a Kobo book, just to have something to read on the PB. Granted, Amazon has more of the books I need, but that's still a sale lost to Kobo. Now that I've bought one, no doubt I'll get more.
    06-26-11 03:33 PM
    I had refrain from buying a kobo book because I like the kindle apps and they alway had the books I wanted... up until now! Don't ask me why, but amazon has some "holes" in the Kay Scarpetta series! And I had an update on the PB just in time because I always deleted the Kobo icon before that! :P Amazon might have just lost one customer!
    06-26-11 05:54 PM
    I have bought 12 kobo books while waiting for Kindle to come out on PB, so now I don't care much anymore for Kindle.
    06-26-11 05:57 PM
    Agreed. I have a lot of Kindle books, but I bought a Kobo book, just to have something to read on the PB. Granted, Amazon has more of the books I need, but that's still a sale lost to Kobo. Now that I've bought one, no doubt I'll get more.
    Same here. I just started using Kobo today because I got tired of waiting on the Kindle. Maybe when the Kindle app does come out I will use both or switch back to Kindle....but I am tired of waiting and wanted something to read on my PB.
    06-26-11 06:39 PM
    Why would Amazon want people to go and seek alternatives?

The fact that Kobo comes with the Playbook should be a concern with Amazon. Plenty of people who commit to that alternative to Kindle will stick with it for a while, resulting in a lot of lost sales.

i didn't mean it was Amazon's plan.

I wonder if Kobo doesn't have an exclussive with Rim for the playbook for some lengh of time which would as you say result in a lot of sales for Kobo.
    06-26-11 08:09 PM
    i didn't mean it was Amazon's plan.

I wonder if Kobo doesn't have an exclussive with Rim for the playbook for some lengh of time which would as you say result in a lot of sales for Kobo.
    The situation makes me a little nervous. When Amazon was working on its Android app, they offered email notification of when it became available. With the PB we get only vague hints. Without Kindle I don't really want the PB, so I feel like I'm gambling on things going on behind the scenes that i can only guess at.
    06-26-11 08:21 PM
    If such a deal was in place, then that would make RIM monumentally stupid.

If you're going to do a timed-exclusive deal, you do it with the company that's the leader (or one of the leaders). I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty damn sure Kobo only does a fraction of the sales that Amazon does with the Kindle.

I don't see what RIM would gain by giving Kobo a timed-exclusive, but I can see what they have to lose - playbook sales from people who won't purchase because of the lack of Kindle support.
    06-26-11 09:34 PM
    yes. but that could be argued for kindle as well - kindle wont tell you what page you were reading in your kobo app.

i get that you have a big library with kindle. i can see why you're desparate for a kindle app - i would like one as well. but i've started with Kobo and have found no problems with it at all. works absolutely fine across my laptop, PB and BB phone.
    i don't buy enough ebooks to be able to compare price. and i've also heard that kindle has a much bigger store. but Kobo is technically as efficient as kindle.
    I'm hardly desperate. I can read my kindle books on my kindles, my phone and all my laptops and pc's. I just would like to add Playbook to the lineup and am not inclined to switch to kobo.
    rheostaticsfan likes this.
    06-27-11 02:00 AM
    So if your like me & just starting out with ebooks (I literally have none) then you guys think Kobo is good? I just hate to start buying only to find out Kindle is better

abzolutely. theres nothing wrong with kobo (as far as ive seen)
    06-27-11 06:42 AM
    If you don't have a library of books built up then Kobo wouldn't be a bad option, their books are just epub on the whole and you can just get the version with adobe adept drm (the defacto standard for epub until b&n and then apple decided to be annoying) and use it on most other ereaders that supports epub.

Any advantages of Kindle are minimised if you don't already have a bunch of books you might want to read again on your new device and by the change to agency pricing by a number of publishing companies that limited amazon's ability to discount prices.
    06-27-11 08:06 AM
    I'm hardly desperate. I can read my kindle books on my kindles, my phone and all my laptops and pc's. I just would like to add Playbook to the lineup and am not inclined to switch to kobo.
    While the screen on the playbook isn't as good for reading as on my actual kindle, the greater flexibility of it would have had me switch to it as my take everywhere device due to the other features such as the comics app, but until it also has a kindle app and ideally a zinio app too, it will tend to get left at home unlike my kindle.
    06-27-11 08:10 AM
    I decided to try to the Kobo reader, and downloaded a book that was actually $3.00 cheaper than at Amazon. And it's not a bad reader. I hope Amazon is monitoring this board. Although the selection isn't as good, it beats carrying around both the PB and the Kindle.
    06-27-11 09:57 AM
151 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD