After all, the KindleApp cannot be distributed unless it makes it into Appworld (unless Kindle goes the .bar route of sideloading). So it is possible there are some very private negotiations happening????
    That's incorrect. The kindle app for the BB Smartphones isn't in Appworld, you download it directly from Amazon's website. I would guess that Amazon will be offering the Kindle app long before you ever see it in Appworld, if you ever do.
    06-12-11 11:18 AM
    Maybe they are waiting for RIM to enable Java support so they don't have to do a darn thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-11 12:04 PM
    That's incorrect. The kindle app for the BB Smartphones isn't in Appworld, you download it directly from Amazon's website. I would guess that Amazon will be offering the Kindle app long before you ever see it in Appworld, if you ever do.
    Actually, I doubt that for the simple reason that OTA installs are supported on Blackberry phones, but are not supported in the Playbook..
    06-12-11 02:03 PM
    installing a bar file is very easy its just a matter of getting the bar file though. to clear up any confusion playbook apps are bar files.
    06-12-11 04:55 PM
    it's been almost 2 months since the release of the playbook. I've given up hope for this app. I started using the Kobo Reader. doubt I'll ever use kindle again.
    06-13-11 01:17 AM
    it's been almost 2 months since the release of the playbook. I've given up hope for this app. I started using the Kobo Reader. doubt I'll ever use kindle again.
    Same here.
    06-13-11 03:18 PM
    It was an Amazon announcement, nearly 9 months ago (the Amazon press release was dated September, 27, 2010), that they would be releasing software that would bring Kindle to the Playbook. Did RIM ever formally acknowledge that? RIM isn't shy about Amazon in general, as there are references to the Amazon app and the Amazon MP3 app, so you would eventually expect to see something. Maybe Amazon's plans to launch their own branded tablets has caused them to reassess whether they'd support a rival device. But this is contrary to their overall philosophy to promote the sale of ebooks through Amazon to be read on any device, including, of course, Kindle.
    06-13-11 04:01 PM
    Are the big name apps waiting for the native SDK? Or perhaps they are thinking, why develop native software when we can use our Android 2.3 software?

Only time will tell...
    I have talked to a couple of devs that are saying either they will not develop apps for the playbook because they have apps developed for android, and dont want to have to learn another platform, or, they are waiting to see how much demand there will be for it.
    06-13-11 04:10 PM
    I just sent another email to Amazon asking about it, and got the standard "we're planning on releasing a kindle app for the playbook, but don't know when" answer
    06-13-11 09:41 PM
    I have talked to a couple of devs that are saying either they will not develop apps for the playbook because they have apps developed for android, and dont want to have to learn another platform, or, they are waiting to see how much demand there will be for it.
    Although I have no experience with app development, I would think that NOW is an optimal time to start pushing the apps out for this platform. The "pickins are slim" so there is a greater potential for profit. The amount of choices available for any particular type of app in the App Store or the Android Market lower the probability that a user will choose to purchase one select app over any of the other dozens in its category, not to mention the plethora of free equivalents. App World is still in it's infancy, so a unique app will stand out - at least for the time being. If these players don't jump on the bandwagon now, they'll be lost in a sea of indistinguishable alternatives once they finally decide to join the game.

On that note, if any developers are looking for a quick sale, I will definitely pay for an epub reader - even if it isn't associated with a respective store. Just make it fully functional and I'll provide my own content. Better get on it, Amazon, before someone steals your thunder.
    06-14-11 01:48 PM
    Although I have no experience with app development, I would think that NOW is an optimal time to start pushing the apps out for this platform. The "pickins are slim" so there is a greater potential for profit. The amount of choices available for any particular type of app in the App Store or the Android Market lower the probability that a user will choose to purchase one select app over any of the other dozens in its category, not to mention the plethora of free equivalents. App World is still in it's infancy, so a unique app will stand out - at least for the time being. If these players don't jump on the bandwagon now, they'll be lost in a sea of indistinguishable alternatives once they finally decide to join the game.

On that note, if any developers are looking for a quick sale, I will definitely pay for an epub reader - even if it isn't associated with a respective store. Just make it fully functional and I'll provide my own content. Better get on it, Amazon, before someone steals your thunder.
    Couldn't agree more clearly there are enough playbook users out there that costs of developing the app will be covered and a profit can be made.

Off topic kind of but this is the reason I'm shocked Angry Farm hasn't been working double time on a playbook app.
    06-14-11 03:14 PM
    I have sent emails to Amazon periodically on this. On the FWIW front, I also contacted Amazon by phone, they have a nice web contact feature where they call you, and gave the rep the audio version of my request and asked that he forward it to the appropriate people. He said the kindle developer personnel are always looking for feedback.
    06-14-11 04:54 PM
    What I don't get is they pretty standard tell everyone to check that one page where you download the Kindle fo Blackberry Phone App. Isn't it pretty much agreed that it will be in Playbook appworld when it comes?
    06-14-11 05:12 PM
    What I don't get is they pretty standard tell everyone to check that one page where you download the Kindle fo Blackberry Phone App. Isn't it pretty much agreed that it will be in Playbook appworld when it comes?
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, this will depend on whether there is official support for OTA downloads outside of App World.

Incidentally, I sent an email to Kindle support and got the same answer, with the following wording: "Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook is not yet available, but stay tuned." I don't know if everyone is getting the "stay tuned" language, but I think it at least hints that it's getting closer.

In contrast, I also asked whether the Kindle app for phones will ever have the ability to add notes and highlights, and the answer was: "I'm sorry currently Kindle for BlackBerry application doesn't support adding notes or annotations. I've forwarded your comments to our Kindle team and it will be worked on a priority basis." That's definitely not a "stay tuned." It's much closer to "Don't hold your breath."

I find it pretty annoying to have the app, and a nice keyboard, and not be able to use it for annotations.
    06-15-11 01:54 PM
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, this will depend on whether there is official support for OTA downloads outside of App World.

Incidentally, I sent an email to Kindle support and got the same answer, with the following wording: "Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook is not yet available, but stay tuned." I don't know if everyone is getting the "stay tuned" language, but I think it at least hints that it's getting closer.

In contrast, I also asked whether the Kindle app for phones will ever have the ability to add notes and highlights, and the answer was: "I'm sorry currently Kindle for BlackBerry application doesn't support adding notes or annotations. I've forwarded your comments to our Kindle team and it will be worked on a priority basis." That's definitely not a "stay tuned." It's much closer to "Don't hold your breath."

I find it pretty annoying to have the app, and a nice keyboard, and not be able to use it for annotations.
    Got the same "stay tuned" response when I sent my inquiry in yesterday (or was it Monday?) so that appears to be a canned response. Does it mean it's getting closer? Probably, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's imminent unfortuantely.
    06-15-11 03:09 PM
    In these cases bad news is better then no news, I like to know if I should wait or forget about it and use the alternative. Kobo
    06-15-11 03:32 PM
    I never used Kindle... but liked Kobe and its interface so far and have absolutely no complaints on it.
    I fail to understand why everyone is going ga ga over kindle app is it because:

- All of you have established kindle accounts ?
    - Kindle app is superior in terms of quality and features?
    - Books on amazon are cheaper ?
    - Books on Kobe are very expensive ?

for me I am really happy and will live with Kobe even if there Kindle is made available.

You know why? - because I hardly read ebooks
    06-15-11 05:55 PM
    I think you have named a number of reasons - folks already have Kindle or K-books. They are also probably hoping that if a Kindle app does come out, it will not be as limited as the kobo app which canNOT load previously purchased content (aka sideloading).
    06-15-11 06:01 PM
    I want kindle as I find their selection to be much more substantive and there is a greater likelihood that textbooks are available through them than for Kobo.
    06-15-11 07:26 PM
    kobo app which canNOT load previously purchased content (aka sideloading).
    I see this as the only drawback so far and that too for all the users who have accounts with kindle and/or K-books and their collection now can not be ported to PB.

Hmm... folks keep waiting .. good luck BTW.
    06-15-11 07:40 PM
    I never used Kindle...

With all due respect, why bother reading a post on a Kindle App if you have little to no interest in it?

I think you have named a number of reasons - folks already have Kindle or K-books. They are also probably hoping that if a Kindle app does come out, it will not be as limited as the kobo app which canNOT load previously purchased content (aka sideloading).
    Many people have a library built up in Kindle format from Amazon purchases. There's also a much larger selection of books available.

I see this as the only drawback so far and that too for all the users who have accounts with kindle and/or K-books and their collection now can not be ported to PB...
    I would also say that on every other platform on which I have used a Kindle app (including BB, iPhone, iPad, and Android) the app is rock solid and works great. Kobo on the other hand has been buggy and inonsistent.

Personally this app can't get here soon enough for me.
    06-16-11 08:12 AM
    Big reason for me is the ability to sync while reading. With my Kindle, I can read a book on my Kindle device and when I open it on my 9700 through the Kindle reader it automatically knows exactly where I left off.

Kobo doesnt do that between their PB and 9700 readers. Heck, Kobo cant even really seem to remember where I left off within the PB app from time to time.
    06-16-11 11:57 AM
    I never used Kindle... but liked Kobe and its interface so far and have absolutely no complaints on it.
    I fail to understand why everyone is going ga ga over kindle app is it because:

- All of you have established kindle accounts ?
    - Kindle app is superior in terms of quality and features?
    - Books on amazon are cheaper ?
    - Books on Kobe are very expensive ?

for me I am really happy and will live with Kobe even if there Kindle is made available.

All of the above, plus, and as mentioned below, Kindle syncs across all your devices. If you read a bit on the kindle, a bit on the phone, a bit on the the pc, and a bit on the tablet, kindle keeps track of where you are in the book across all these platforms. And it is, IMHO, a better UI than Kobo (assuming the Kindle for Playbook looks something like their other platform apps). Not that Kobo is rotten, or anything, but I like the kindle approach, and also the way there are established and relatively easy ways to get the various e-text formats onto the kindle in reasonably readable fashion. Also, I like the Amazon store which is also accessible across the platforms.
    06-16-11 12:03 PM
    Account is registered with Kobo now. I sampled a free book and have made my first purchase from them so far. Quite happy with the service so I'm not to fussed on Kindle coming now. Kobo seems perfect to me.
    06-16-11 12:12 PM
    All of the above, plus, and as mentioned below, Kindle syncs across all your devices. If you read a bit on the kindle, a bit on the phone, a bit on the the pc, and a bit on the tablet, kindle keeps track of where you are in the book across all these platforms. Also, I like the Amazon store which is also accessible across the platforms.
    hmm..good to know the features of Kindle
    I think this is certainly a nice feature. you do not need to turn pages every time you get back to reading. I did not see that in Kobo.

I rarely read eBooks. but lately I started because of Kobo I have read 3 books so far: and quite happy with it though.
    I did not try reading books on other platforms at all. just using PB.
    06-16-11 01:22 PM
151 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD