11-21-12 09:56 AM
49 12
tools
    is this not a feature that is being released soon in the 2.1 update for FREE? Wifi bridge? I assume it means we can do this. $5? That's a steep price for what this does, really. But to each their own.
    We are not sure what 2.1 will really bring, there is WIFI Transport, not sure if anyone really understand what this will exactly mean, but BETA will be out before the end of the week so we will find out soon...I am just assuming it means we can use wifi to connect to bridge, which increases range and speed of the connection...obviously with a wifi connection it kind of seems like they are heading towards a desktop version of bridge, but I would be surprised to see it on 2.1
    05-29-12 04:22 PM
    Shame it was pulled.
    I can kind of understand why from a security point of view.
    Unless the app had similar features like a Citrix client such as deny copy paste, deny print.
    05-29-12 05:29 PM
    Bridge over Wifi is indeed merely a transport. I can say that it is very unlikely that RIM will be allowing this feature via Wifi. If they did, I'd be the first one in line for that feature. However, my feeling is that there is no desire to make this happen.

To the person saying $5 is steep: what would a reasonable price have been? It doesn't matter now, but it'll help guide future pricing. We felt that the sheer convenience and time savings provided by this app would quickly offset the $5 cost. That's less than minimum wage for most people, and we thought Desktop Bridge would ultimately save you many hours.
    05-29-12 05:30 PM
    Shame it was pulled.
    I can kind of understand why from a security point of view.
    Unless the app had similar features like a Citrix client such as deny copy paste, deny print.
    It's definitely a thought we had while developing. But security concerns like that are quite a different beast altogether. it's not as if your email accounts can't already be exposed via your PC.
    05-29-12 05:36 PM
    sorry to see your app get pulled. you seem to be taking it well maintaining the thread. hope your other endeavours appease those in control.

I feel like $5 was a fair price to ask, since now I do have the option as posted above to do this on my own, but would lack security and it would probably take me an hour to figure i out with testing and stuff.

$5 for something that just works is always a good bet. Maybe if u drop it down to $4.99 it would appease the poor people.

I recently bought desktop phone remote for $1.99 which allowed me to use my bb9900 while i cracked the lcd (recently replaced it today which i found quite easy). it allowed me to see what was on my screen and it allows me to message in bbm. though it is laggy and unresponsive at times. So $4.99 for an app that allows me to do the same thing from my desktop for what appeared to be in the video as lag-free i would happily pay for.

$1.99 for desktop phone remote was a no brainer and feel it fair for what it did (does).
    $2.99 should have also been a no brainer for desktop bridge
    $4.99 is fair
    bbmtna likes this.
    05-29-12 06:13 PM
    The price is very reasonable. There used to be a product called Bayalink Liberty. Which went eol in Sept 2011. I think it was 100 usd.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    05-29-12 06:20 PM
    Man... I hope RIM and the developer sorts this out and get this app back up ASAP as possible!
    05-29-12 07:00 PM
    amazing, I do have a question. a lot of apps take advantage of the bridge connecting to get on the mobile data network, in a future update will we see third party apps to work with Desktop Bridge. So we can access them from the desktop.

Not only can i just leave my playbook connected to my blackberry and charging i can access my phone from anywhere around my home, GREAT APP.
    06-01-12 08:16 AM
    This is an amazing software ... I am using it currently. Excellent work, wonder why Appworld would remove it..
    06-01-12 03:13 PM
    Uses unsupported and undocumented APIs.
    That's not true The main function of the app is essentially 4 lines of code that does a socks bind (port 187 -> another port). This is used by other applications and is 100% OK!

The actual web-based bridge feature has been in-built in to Playbook since inception. It resides at 127.0.0.1:187 (can check in Playbook browser).

The reason they gave was that this functionality will be broken soon.
    06-02-12 12:48 AM
    That's not true The main function of the app is essentially 4 lines of code that does a socks bind (port 187 -> another port). This is used by other applications and is 100% OK!

The actual web-based bridge feature has been in-built in to Playbook since inception. It resides at 127.0.0.1:187 (can check in Playbook browser).

The reason they gave was that this functionality will be broken soon.
    Wow - weird - those apps actually open IN THE BROWSER!!! Tap on one of the links shown in the screen capture:
    06-02-12 09:53 AM
    So we've made some decisions and decided that if folks still want to purchase Desktop Bridge, outside of App World, they can contact us at sales@pulsecode.ca. We're not openly advertising this because there are some pretty big caveats with the purchase (I.e. That RIM has said they will break this in future OS updates, so we can't support it beyond that.)

We would rather that users can benefit from our work while they still can, rather than have it wasted.
    06-02-12 10:07 PM
    Isn't that post openly advertising it?
    06-02-12 11:04 PM
    Isn't that post openly advertising it?
    Yes, it is. :-P

Seriously though, we're doing it this way to actually make it a bit more difficult for people to buy it, and actually filter customers out.

The app works great, right now. RIM has said they are going to update the OS and break this. If you decide to buy the app today, you are buying it understanding that limitation, and that we cannot guarantee a "fix" for you. If you understand this, and still feel comfortable using Desktop Bridge while you still can, by all means, you can e-mail us for the purchase link.

But we also understand that some people will still try to buy this, and then complain when it stops working, despite the warnings. This is our attempt to filter those people out, and try to keep that to a minimum.

Does it mean less sales? For sure. But at least the ones that understand the app's limitations can benefit from the work that we've put in. We already have sold about 10 copies via this method, on top of the 25 through App World, and 60 pirated copies. Everyone's been happy. We even had three 5-star reviews on App World in those first 2 hours before it got removed. 25 purchases + three positive reviews in 2 hours seems like a good endorsement to me.
    Snuupy likes this.
    06-03-12 02:06 AM
    lol love how you know how many pirated copies there are. my question is if i have the most recent beta installed, will it still work? is this the version with the 'break' in your program?
    06-04-12 03:06 AM
    Hi guys,

I just put up a post describing what happened with Desktop Bridge, and some commentary in regards to that.

A Desktop Bridge Too Far - RIM's Communications Breakdown and Why They Need to Fix It
    06-12-12 01:50 PM
    Rocking APp!!

Right-Click - Open in new tab/window will let you use BBM, Messages, Etc. in separate tabs simultaneously! This is just great!

I don't know if anyone else noticed it but Bridge is a lot smoother through Desktop Bridge!

Attachment 112380
    06-19-12 05:18 AM
    Bridge over Wifi is indeed merely a transport. I can say that it is very unlikely that RIM will be allowing this feature via Wifi. If they did, I'd be the first one in line for that feature. However, my feeling is that there is no desire to make this happen.

To the person saying $5 is steep: what would a reasonable price have been? It doesn't matter now, but it'll help guide future pricing. We felt that the sheer convenience and time savings provided by this app would quickly offset the $5 cost. That's less than minimum wage for most people, and we thought Desktop Bridge would ultimately save you many hours.
    Paid my $5 with pleasure. can't wait to use, but I need help with sideload
    09-19-12 11:22 PM
    These steps do NOT require root. Use port higher than 1024 and use devuser@ instead of root@.

Anyone can use this method but it is more complicated of course.

Alternatively could write a small app that does the port bind but it wouldn't have SSL security like this app.
    Thank you for this, its very good to know
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 09-20-12 at 07:58 AM.
    09-20-12 07:41 AM
    2.1 official broke this app i believe.
    10-03-12 03:27 PM
    That's a bummer, I wanted to try this now. Any official word from the developer on this?
    10-03-12 06:09 PM
    =These steps do NOT require root. Use port higher than 1024 and use devuser@ instead of root@.

Anyone can use this method but it is more complicated of course.

Alternatively could write a small app that does the port bind but it wouldn't have SSL security like this app..
    Hey does anyone know if this feature has been axed in the 2.1 version? If this is what that Desktop Bridge App was utilizing I'm thinking its a goner, but can anyone confirm? I don't want go through the bother of trying to get it working if it has been.
    10-09-12 06:02 PM
    Any word if this app still works?
    11-20-12 08:24 PM
    No, this does not work anymore. Everything seems fine until you get past the certificate page. After that is just says Forbidden on a white page. Oh well, it was a great program while it lasted.
    11-21-12 09:56 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD