Hello everyone, i know most of you will look at how i just made this account and think i do not know what i am doing but i have been the head of a development team for android/ios applications for just over a year now. Working in the car audio department at FutureShop i always look at new ways to improve my cars audio and appearance, me and my installer decided to replace my deck with a playbook because i also own a blackberry z10. I was looking into Torque for the playbook and i sideloaded it but no luck with bluetooth. I could not find any solutions just many people who wanted this done. I have decided if i can get enough people to say they would like an app for the playbook done between this forum and others i will be willing to hire my team and pay the money to get an app like this developed. I may give out a few free copies at the start but will most likely end up charging about 2$ a copy because it will cost me a lot to get built and designed properly.

If you are interested in an app like this please comment below i just would like a full count.

Development will most likely start around the end of the month and hopefully be released by early Spring.

Thanks to everyone who will be supporting me
    bungaboy and Blackman91 like this.
    02-18-13 01:38 PM
    Having used, and really enjoying, the Torque app on my android, I would like to see this done for the PB as well. However, I also notice that a proper OBDII app doesn't exist on iOS, mainly because BT security features on it. Is that going to be an issue for PlayBook as well? I love the Torque app on my Nexus7; I'm using a cheap generic BT OBDII from eBay and works amazing

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    02-18-13 02:03 PM
    This is my first post on here but i would be interested in this. always thought the PB would be great for checking codes or viewing live data.
    02-18-13 02:09 PM
    I want this, I'm always on the lookout for OBDII apps

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 02:19 PM
    Having used, and really enjoying, the Torque app on my android, I would like to see this done for the PB as well. However, I also notice that a proper OBDII app doesn't exist on iOS, mainly because BT security features on it. Is that going to be an issue for PlayBook as well? I love the Torque app on my Nexus7; I'm using a cheap generic BT OBDII from eBay and works amazing

Im not to sure about that yet i am looking into it all now, i am contacting my team now to get them to look through it all and give me an update on how it is going to be done and when it will be done. I will post an update hopefully by tonight/tomorrow morning
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    02-18-13 02:27 PM
    Would love an OBDII app myself, could prove useful. Can't wait to hear more!
    Flexin likes this.
    02-18-13 02:41 PM
    Have been googling around, and it doesn't look like BB uses a proprietary Bluetooth stack on the Playbook, so any generic BT ODBII adapter could work. I wonder if anyone tried side loading the Torque app on the playbook yet

rabidpilot likes this.
    02-18-13 02:57 PM
    Sounds awesome. Do want!
    02-18-13 02:58 PM
    As others have, I am a big user of Torque on my SGS2. There was an OBD2 app on the earlier BB, but did not work very well.

I would love to see an OBD2 app on BB10. I also have bought a bluetooth adapter of ebay using the ELM327 drivers. Would be great to have it optomised on the playbook.
    02-18-13 03:04 PM
    I too would be very interested in this app.
    02-18-13 04:38 PM
    In a word yes
    02-18-13 04:53 PM
    I have been waiting for one to come to playbook as well.
    02-18-13 05:56 PM
    Would love this app. Both for PlayBook and Z10

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:10 PM
    I would like this app too. For my PB and Z10.

I use Torque now on Android devices SGS3 and Nexus 7.

Thanks.
    02-18-13 09:30 PM
    I am very interested as well.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 10:08 PM
    I would love to get this working too... if BB10 for PB comes soon, it should be easier to develop using Qt/QML Bluetooth modules to connect with Bluetooth OBD devices. I assume OBD involves sending set commands to read data on the ECU?
    02-19-13 12:00 AM
    great idea. i'd support it.
    02-19-13 12:17 AM
    I would definitely buy it
    02-19-13 06:53 AM
    OK, so we need a native PB app for OBDII connection. Apparently, Bluetooth data transfder is not supported for side loaded apps, so no point in trying the Android version of Torque

The following hardware features are currently not supported, and usually do not work with the BlackBerry PlayBook. If your app uses any of these features but you feel that it should still be functional on a BlackBerry PlayBook, before submitting your app to BlackBerry World, fully test it to ensure that your app's usability and functionality are not affected.
    Telephony is not supported (including SMS and MMS)
    Bluetooth is not supported (Audio playback through Bluetooth is supported)
    NFC is not supported
    Barometer sensor is not supported
    No support for low-latency audio pipeline (android.hardware.audio.low_latency)
    No support for 5 or more simultaneous independent touch events (android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.jazzhand)
    No support for custom IMEs (virtual keyboards)
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-19-13 10:50 AM
    I'd be interested, and know of a family member with a PB that would be very likely to get it as well.
    02-19-13 11:35 AM
    To keep everyone updated, i have been contacting many people about this project and so far 2 have said the level of difficulty is "out of what they are capable of" so i am going out of the people i have worked with to hire others so i can get this done for all of you. Also if i start to have time for it i may be working on this myself.

Thank you to all those who are supporting me and my team in this!
    02-20-13 12:33 AM
    It is an impressive app (android), I would love to have this for the bb10/ playbook os. would it work on the current CanBus network?
    02-20-13 12:42 AM
    These guys have been around a while, looks like an excellent product range PLX Kiwi | OBD2 Codes OBDII Scan Tools - PLX Devices and software https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dash...mt=8&at=10l3Vy maybe they could be persuaded to port to Z10.
    02-20-13 02:35 AM
    These guys have been around a while, looks like an excellent product range PLX Kiwi | OBD2 Codes OBDII Scan Tools - PLX Devices and software https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dash...mt=8&at=10l3Vy maybe they could be persuaded to port to Z10.
    thank you thats actually a very good idea, i will send that link along and see how it goes
    02-20-13 12:38 PM
    I would buy it. However, if I'm honest, I would prefer it for the PlayBook as the bigger screen would make more comfortable.
    02-20-13 12:49 PM
56 123