Would people be interested in a Notepad / Text Editor App? I noticed there is already 1 in app world (with terrible ratings) but I m just trying to gauge interest in this one before I invest time into this.
    04-12-12 11:44 PM
    I would be interested. AIRbrowser has an editor built in as do some other native programs. Within Ghost Commander under the droid runtime an editor is also available. One should really be built into the OS by RIM.
    04-13-12 08:21 AM
    I would be, and if you integrate it with dropbox and give it html formatting capabilities I'll send you some $ for making my life way easier.
    04-15-12 10:51 PM
    I would be, and if you integrate it with dropbox and give it html formatting capabilities I'll send you some $ for making my life way easier.
    what type of html formatting
    04-15-12 11:48 PM
    I was also thinking of making this because of all the recent threads asking for one, however, ignites I see you've got it in good hands!
    04-16-12 06:36 AM
    I would definitely like one, I often prefer to toss together .txt docs than MS Word documents, and reader to which I think your referring was unfortunately only capable of creating .txt documents, not browsing for the ones you already have. It'd be nice if Docs To Go had built in compatability, I mean I can't imagine it'd be much work for RIM, but either way, I'd love a good .txt editor! :P
    04-16-12 07:08 AM
    what type of html formatting
    It really wouldn't need much.
    Just highlighting for elements would really be enough (ie, clicking on <div> would highlight the text until </div>).
    Even without anything like that, if I could download an html file from Dropbox, edit it, and reupload it all from the same app, I'd be extraordinarily happy
    04-16-12 10:13 AM
    hmm highlighting is very complicated in playbook have you noticed that? (no trackpad! and select is really hard to get on) and if u make a mistake i have to worry about making an undo button :P

im cool if someone else wnats to do this idea as well .. i might have bitten more than i can chew on this one... but i'll try it next week
    04-16-12 01:06 PM
    Oh; not that kind of highlighting. Just using a custom color scheme would be awesome; I don't know what you're planning on writing the app in (air?) but I imagine that just doing some sort of
    if "<div>, font: color="red"
    thing would work (not sure exactly what it would look like.
    But as I said, if not I'd be more than satisfied with a simple .txt editor that can edit html files, especially if it had dropbox integration (using notepad+v3 right now), with or without any kind of syntax highlighting.
    Syntax highlighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're using webworks, I suspect http://alexgorbatchev.com/SyntaxHigh...r/manual/demo/ might be useful...
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 04-16-12 at 01:16 PM.
    04-16-12 01:14 PM
    Oh; not that kind of highlighting. Just using a custom color scheme would be awesome; I don't know what you're planning on writing the app in (air?) but I imagine that just doing some sort of
    if "<div>, font: color="red"
    thing would work (not sure exactly what it would look like.
    But as I said, if not I'd be more than satisfied with a simple .txt editor that can edit html files, especially if it had dropbox integration (using notepad+v3 right now), with or without any kind of syntax highlighting.
    Syntax highlighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're using webworks, I suspect SyntaxHighlighter - Feature Demo might be useful...

Thinking webworks - notepad (no ++) equivalent. You should use Bluebox to dl your dropbox files :P. My focus is on 1 featured apps.
    04-16-12 04:46 PM
    I use bluebox.
    Just making a suggestion, you certainly don't have to implement it.
    All I was saying was that I'd be interested in supporting the development of an app such as I described, not that you shouldn't just make a simple txt editor.
    04-16-12 04:54 PM
    I would definitely like one, I often prefer to toss together .txt docs than MS Word documents, and reader to which I think your referring was unfortunately only capable of creating .txt documents, not browsing for the ones you already have. It'd be nice if Docs To Go had built in compatability, I mean I can't imagine it'd be much work for RIM, but either way, I'd love a good .txt editor! :P
    Amen to all of this! I just spent a few hours this evening looking (mostly on goodereader) for an app that can open .txt's that I transfer to my playbook. Some promised txt-capability but then they didn't want to actually open my txt files. I'm rather bewildered and disappointed that Docs To Go doesn't handle .txt's.

update: found this a bit further down in the google matches; apparently there's a $0.99 text editor in App World which may do the trick; anyone familiar with it?

http://www.playbookdaily.com/2011/10...-script-files/
    Last edited by Anke6831; 04-19-12 at 09:57 PM. Reason: updated info
    ignites likes this.
    04-19-12 09:49 PM
    Amen to all of this! I just spent a few hours this evening looking (mostly on goodereader) for an app that can open .txt's that I transfer to my playbook. Some promised txt-capability but then they didn't want to actually open my txt files. I'm rather bewildered and disappointed that Docs To Go doesn't handle .txt's.

update: found this a bit further down in the google matches; apparently there's a $0.99 text editor in App World which may do the trick; anyone familiar with it?

LitePad for BlackBerry PlayBook | PlayBook Text Editor
    guess someone beat me to it haha.... maybe i'll cross it off the list for nwo then
    04-19-12 10:28 PM
    Notepad style app would be very useful on the playbook.

Just make sure it'll attempt to open any file you throw at it. Anything from .txt, .csv, .py. c++ to .tsv and .html. Pretty much: make it like notepad. Of course, make it so you can save it again as the same extension.
    04-19-12 11:27 PM
    Id love one if it could sync with a service like dropbox so the txt files could be accessed anywhere.
    04-20-12 08:07 AM
    I would like a bourne shell with vi and ssh.
    04-20-12 08:38 AM
    I would like a bourne shell with vi and ssh.
    Haha I actually thought of asking for vi as well (although I didn't stretch it so far as to include any shells), but then I realized I'm not too keen on doing that much typing on a tablet :-D
    04-22-12 08:49 PM
    guess someone beat me to it haha.... maybe i'll cross it off the list for nwo then
    ignites, if you're still looking for a project to tackle (and please accept my apologies if this is a clueless noob request :P), I would love to have a better file browser than the built-in File Manager. Particularly disappointing are that it doesn't display folders (which I created in Windows with the PB connected to the PC), and that it is restricted to the Documents folder (i.e. that it can't go any higher). Hmmm... maybe I should just chime in with polytope and ask for a terminal emulator and a shell...
    04-22-12 08:57 PM
    ignites, if you're still looking for a project to tackle (and please accept my apologies if this is a clueless noob request :P), I would love to have a better file browser than the built-in File Manager. Particularly disappointing are that it doesn't display folders (which I created in Windows with the PB connected to the PC), and that it is restricted to the Documents folder (i.e. that it can't go any higher). Hmmm... maybe I should just chime in with polytope and ask for a terminal emulator and a shell...
    check out AIR browser
    Anke6831 likes this.
    04-22-12 10:36 PM
    check out AIR browser
    d'oh! thanks :-)

update: for anyone interested, here's what I found here in crackberry on AIR:

http://crackberry.com/free-air-brows...berry-playbook

I think I'll be trying "stuff" as recommended in the last post.
    Last edited by Anke6831; 04-22-12 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added update
    04-22-12 10:46 PM
    Using FILE BROWSER (Aftab solutions), you can select .txt files and they will open with Docs To Go.
    Anke6831 and Sergeant HCR like this.
    04-23-12 07:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD