This may be a n00b question, but I've never really messed with emulators.

How will ROM management work with this app? Will we need to just sideload them?
    01-26-12 03:22 PM
    This may be a n00b question, but I've never really messed with emulators.

How will ROM management work with this app? Will we need to just sideload them?
    You will load them into a folder, and there will be a button to cycle through them. 0-9 A-Z style.

Until blackberry releases us a GUI library so we can make a proper rom selector.
    rrrebo likes this.
    01-26-12 03:39 PM
    have we confirmed that this will work with PBOS 2.0??
    01-27-12 01:50 AM
    Yes, we are able to successfully build it for both OS'
    01-27-12 07:14 AM
    I think and HID supported controller would work, I don't what keys are mapped on them but if it is standard then the app could be easily updated to support this.

So for example this should work with little effort. iControlPad - Bluetooth gaming controls for your smartphone

Only the digital keys would work, the analog sticks would be useless.

The same should apply to the six axis controller.

EDIT:

I guess sixaxis would not work out of the box...I got this off the wiibrew wiki:

The SIXAXIS or Dual Shock 3 is the Play Station 3's main input device, however it can also be connected to a Wii or a PC, via USB and hopefully Bluetooth. It is both a wired and a wireless device, using USB HID or Bluetooth 2.0 HID. The SIXAXIS uses (and, frequently, abuses) the standard USB or Bluetooth HID protocol to communicate with the host, which is directly based upon the USB HID standard. As such, it will appear as a standard input device to any USB or Bluetooth host. However, the SIXAXIS will not transmit any data until a special HID feature report is read, but Windows HID functions do not allow that feature report to be read due to the incorrect HID descriptor. The HID descriptor also uses unusual axis assignments, which makes it less useful with standard HID drivers.
    yes the PS3 controller is well protected. But some hackers have managed to create Windows drivers (motioninjoy MotioninJoy | Playstation 3|Xbox 360|Dualshock 3|Sixaxis|Game|Driver|). So with some knowledge might be possible.

hahah I can't stop looking at the app world. Nothing yet. hope you guys have checked all the checkboxes to make it available in all regions including the Middle East!
    01-27-12 11:50 AM
    Hate to keep bringing up controller options, but will a Wii-mote work? i used this with a DellStreak in conjunction with an app called Wii-mote Control and an emulator. it was AWESOME!

it connects to a wiimote and you just connected to the streak via bluetooth
    01-27-12 11:57 AM
    Well I think you answered your own question. You used this in conjunction with the wiimotecontroller app. This app does not exist on the Playbook.
    01-27-12 01:47 PM
    I haven't been engaged in this at all, and I should jump back in the ring. Just haven't had nearly as much free time lately as I'd hoped.

FWIW, you can get a wiimote to pair with a PB and issue some commands, but it currently requires root access. Maybe someone will put a bug in someone's ear at RIM that would make this a little bit easier for us without the need for root?
    01-27-12 05:43 PM
    would the commands it issues be compatible with the emulator?
    01-27-12 09:27 PM
    I thought this was due to be released yesterday or today on appworld? Any chance of that still happening?
    01-28-12 03:25 PM
    I have already some Rom like DK, and they work fine on my mac and SNes9, please please tell me that DK's gone work on my beloved PlayBook.
    01-28-12 04:45 PM
    I thought this was due to be released yesterday or today on appworld? Any chance of that still happening?
    Patience young padiwan. It is coming. Give it time . I'd expect another 3-4 days still mate. Also no they said at best end of the week but probably next week
    Last edited by KermEd; 01-28-12 at 05:05 PM.
    01-28-12 05:03 PM
    Patience young padiwan. It is coming. Give it time . I'd expect another 3-4 days still mate. Also no they said at best end of the week but probably next week
    Yes after all that's all we need right? Just excited about the prospect of being able to add hundreds of games to my playbook library. It will be interesting to play FF6 and Chronotrigger over again. Then when a PSX emulator comes to be able to play all of the other final fantasy's totally awesome.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-28-12 05:31 PM
    To be honest I am surprised rim authorises an emulator for consoles on their application market. Although the software is legit, the use that will be made of it is not. Remember megauploads
    01-28-12 11:47 PM
    Why is the use not legit, if you own the snes roms or you are running one of the many public domain roms then it is perfectly legit.

We are all eagerly waiting to see is RIM will approve these. I have hope that this will happen, untherwise I wouod have already released the .bar for sideloading.

Remeber up until recently both apple and google were allowing emulators on their platforms. I suspect part of the reason they were all removed was due to people charging for them and all the flak they recieved for this due to the open source licencing. Inthe end it probably just wasn't worth it.

Snes9x is being released for free, the code is readily available and breaks no licencing agreements.

Additionally the application runs without issue upon initial installation, there is no need to add a rom first.

I see no reason why this would not be approved however RIM may see it differently, we shall find out this week.
    01-29-12 06:17 AM
    I wrote a chip8 emu just for the playbook but I have yet to complete it due to my inexperience with rendering user interfaces but I got the interpreter working flawlessly now. I plan to roll it out very soon. My biggest issue is not having boost libraries for easy cross platform timers. The first version will not have a rom chooser lol. I'm trying to build everything in opengl since I don't believe in software graphics :P. I originally said I would release it free and I changed my mind to sell for 99 cents but after seeing this I have decided it will definitely be free.

If I'm not mistaken, Boost is being ported over by BlackBerry, so it should be available some time soon.
    01-29-12 09:29 AM
    How's the performance so far? I tried running the emulator a few days ago and some roms seemed a bit choppy which might be attributed to my compiler options... If I can manage to find some free time I'm willing to contribute to the project.
    Last edited by sergeh; 01-29-12 at 09:41 AM.
    01-29-12 09:37 AM
    The emulator is running great, I wouldn't have submitted it to app world if it wasn't.
    01-29-12 10:47 AM
    is what's on github the latest commits?

If so, would you mind helping me get it up and running on my system, would really like to help out.

Right now other than tic tac toe everything seems to be running slow and I'm not exactly sure why, I know a few pages back you said that it was due to compiler options
    01-29-12 11:34 AM
    Look up the GBA thread - someone has a shot of recommended compiler options there. Would make more sense to wait though for the version these guys worked so hard on to get released in AppWorld and get it instead. Rather than re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    01-29-12 12:46 PM
    Why is the use not legit, if you own the snes roms or you are running one of the many public domain roms then it is perfectly legit.

We are all eagerly waiting to see is RIM will approve these. I have hope that this will happen, untherwise I wouod have already released the .bar for sideloading.

Remeber up until recently both apple and google were allowing emulators on their platforms. I suspect part of the reason they were all removed was due to people charging for them and all the flak they recieved for this due to the open source licencing. Inthe end it probably just wasn't worth it.

Snes9x is being released for free, the code is readily available and breaks no licencing agreements.

Additionally the application runs without issue upon initial installation, there is no need to add a rom first.

I see no reason why this would not be approved however RIM may see it differently, we shall find out this week.
    Well for instance I did own in the past the roms that I intend to use but I could not claim that I own them right now.

Anyway I was just making the parallel with Apple, they do not approve that type of app...

I wish there was a way to buy copies of these roms from Nintendo for use electronically
    Last edited by pgerhard; 01-29-12 at 01:01 PM.
    01-29-12 12:57 PM
    Look up the GBA thread - someone has a shot of recommended compiler options there. Would make more sense to wait though for the version these guys worked so hard on to get released in AppWorld and get it instead. Rather than re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.
    Thanks I'll take a look! So the github project is outdated??
    01-29-12 05:39 PM
    please keep us updated on this, I run this on my PC and would love to have this for the playbook. I understand why its free, but I would be willing to donate something for your time involved in this.
    01-29-12 09:20 PM
    is what's on github the latest commits?

If so, would you mind helping me get it up and running on my system, would really like to help out.

Right now other than tic tac toe everything seems to be running slow and I'm not exactly sure why, I know a few pages back you said that it was due to compiler options
    http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/9...ctsettings.png

Those settings will get it to 100%.

At this point, we are ready for a release. Feel free to get used to the code, and think of some improvements, ocne we release, we will make a game plan!
    kritikal likes this.
    01-30-12 09:29 AM
    http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/9...ctsettings.png

Those settings will get it to 100%.

At this point, we are ready for a release. Feel free to get used to the code, and think of some improvements, ocne we release, we will make a game plan!
    I was able to find that screenshot on the VBAM thread and it does in fact work at 100% Thanks!

Sounds like a plan!
    01-30-12 11:00 AM
134 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD