05-11-11 11:00 AM
38 12
tools
    RIM already announced there would be a kindle app for Playbook it's just a matter of how long before we get it Soon i hope.
    I suspect that RIM went to bed with Kobo (another Canadian company) and granted them an exclusive for some amount of time - at least 6 months. Amazon would love to have a Kindle app on the PB - their model has been to write apps for as many devices as makes sense. I'd bet good money that RIM is blocking them from App World in favor of Kobo. I don't expect we will see the Android Kindle app ported over once the Android emulator goes live "this summer."

The problem with that is that there is Zero chance that most Kindle faithful will join up with Kobo and start all over again. I know I won't.

I bought my PB expecting to see a Kindle app at launch, as was advertised months ago. Mine is probably going back to Staples later this week.
    04-26-11 03:45 PM
    I just emailed Amazon the other day here's what they said:

Hello,

Thanks for writing to us.

We have announced the Kindle app for Blackberry Playbook Tablet. However, at this time we don't have more information about the exact release date.

I'd suggest checking our website from time to time to see if the application is available for the device. Once it's released it will reflect on our website here:

Amazon.com: Free Kindle Reading Apps

Thanks for your interest in Kindle.
    04-26-11 03:55 PM
    Sounds like it's in the works but not quite ready yet, like MUCH of the stuff associated with the PB! We knew this going in folks, this is the life of an early adopter!
    04-26-11 03:59 PM
    I suspect that RIM went to bed with Kobo (another Canadian company) and granted them an exclusive for some amount of time - at least 6 months. Amazon would love to have a Kindle app on the PB - their model has been to write apps for as many devices as makes sense. I'd bet good money that RIM is blocking them from App World in favor of Kobo. I don't expect we will see the Android Kindle app ported over once the Android emulator goes live "this summer."
    So what colour tinfoil hat do you wear during the week, a far simpler explanation is that Amazon simply aren't rushing to make a playbook app rather than some convoluted scheme that wouldn't help Kobo and would actively harm Rim by delaying a prominent and important app, especially since any Kobo deal would have been agreed prior to Amazon's initial announcement of a playbook app in any case.
    04-27-11 05:35 AM
    well on this note i tried kobo last night, its not all that bad and the device is very nice to read on. i've read on my moms kindle, kobo for playbook feels alot like it. now sure we don't have the fancy pants page turner that the ipad has yet, seems like they rushed kobo for pb out but atleast it works. but i like the "book shelf" menu so im happy with kobo for the time being. yayyyy movies, game, and books im entertained.
    04-27-11 06:42 AM
    I think what we are seeing is BN and Amazon wanting people to use their hardware. Problem is: If they don't come with apps for various platforms such as the Playbook, they will lose customers.
    I don't care for a backlit display. But sometimes I would like to just fire up my Playbook and read my Nookbook on it.

Come on BN, you can come with this Playbook app tomorrow if you wanted to. I don't understand the delay.
    I don't think thats accurate at all, both amazon and Kindle make their money through the sale of ebooks/subscriptions ... that is their main business model and always has been. Hardware sales are a bonus but there is a reason that B&N and Amazon both offer free apps for iOS & Andriod both smartphone and tablet

Amazon could give the kindle away for free and turn a profit on book sales alone.
    04-27-11 10:44 AM
    My guess right now Barnes & Nobles been pretty busy with ther nook color update. Now that that is done (my wife is loving hers with the update) maybe they will work on a playbook app. I am hoping both, Kindle and Nook are not just waiting for the android player instead, since they have a app for that.
    Last edited by jjjahn; 04-27-11 at 05:50 PM.
    04-27-11 02:29 PM
    I'm a diehard Kindle user and there's no way i'm going PB without a Kindle app. I wrote Amazon and was told to expect an announcement on their app in the next month.
    Enough Canadian conspiracy theories. Amazon is just not on our schedule and will get it out when they're ready - even if they're messing up my PB purchase.
    04-27-11 11:46 PM
    I am cool with Adobe Reader right now. I just Calibre to reformat my books to pdfs and put them on my Playbook. I use Mobipocket for Blackberry Curve 8530 and would like to see Mobipocket for the Playbook as well.

p.s. I have typed all this using my Playbook!
    04-30-11 10:21 PM
    Just received this response from amazon.....

"Hello,

I'm very sorry to say, Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook is not yet available, but please stay tuned.

You can view our Kindle apps currently available and discover when we’ve released Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook by following the link below: Amazon.com: Free Kindle Reading Apps

We apologize for any disappointment or inconvenience this may have caused. Thanks for your interest in Kindle applications.

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

Best regards,

Supraja K
    Amazon.com
    Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
    http://www.amazon.com/your-account"
    05-01-11 08:34 PM
    Amazon announced their plans for a Kindle/Playbook app back in Sept 2010. They have quality programmers who could have knocked out the app in a week. They have every incentive to get in on the ground floor with PB and dominate another platform. I don't think it's much of a leap to assume that RIM has some sort of limited exclusivity deal with Kobo.
    05-10-11 05:28 AM
    Amazon announced their plans for a Kindle/Playbook app back in Sept 2010. They have quality programmers who could have knocked out the app in a week. They have every incentive to get in on the ground floor with PB and dominate another platform. I don't think it's much of a leap to assume that RIM has some sort of limited exclusivity deal with Kobo.
    Not much of a leap if you are some conspiracy freak in a tinfoil hat maybe, the far simpler reason is that they are much more involved with android than they were last year and so are less eager to rush to new platforms without seeing how sales go.
    05-10-11 06:31 AM
    I am cool with Adobe Reader right now. I just Calibre to reformat my books to pdfs and put them on my Playbook. I use Mobipocket for Blackberry Curve 8530 and would like to see Mobipocket for the Playbook as well.

p.s. I have typed all this using my Playbook!

ive been using pdfs as books for a bit now as well. the only issue i have experienced is having to remember the page number. also the pdf does not reformat based on screen orientation so you have to manually zoom to just the right level.

This has been on every other device, due to these issues, i havent even bothered on the playbook
    05-11-11 11:00 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD