Has anyone heard if we will have a Nook and Kindle app for the Playbook on April 19th?
    04-15-11 05:53 PM
    I was looking on Amazon earlier today for any news of Kindle for PB and found no mention of it. They announced months ago that there would be one but no date of availability given. I would be surprised if it's there on the 19th, but one can always hope!

Since I don't have a Nook, have not looked into it.
    04-15-11 06:15 PM
    We were told several months ago that there would be a Kindle app at launch. It appears Amazon has backed away from that for some reason. Still, one can hope it will come along eventually.
    04-17-11 03:49 PM
    Yup, no Kindle app to be seen. Was this the result of the Kobo deal? RIM better have gotten something sweet in return for denying their customers what is probably the most popular ebook reader app.
    04-19-11 09:30 AM
    Yup, no Kindle app to be seen. Was this the result of the Kobo deal? RIM better have gotten something sweet in return for denying their customers what is probably the most popular ebook reader app.
    That seems a remarkably strange assumption to be making when the far more likely situation is that amazon simply haven't released a playbook app than it is that rim are blocking them from releasing one.
    04-19-11 10:14 AM
    Kindle is kind of a big deal
    04-20-11 11:31 PM
    I don't understand why everyone wants to ruin their eyes by reading on a backlit tablet. Kindle's and Nooks are cheap. Why not buy that when you read a lot? It's WAY nicer. I picked up a Nook on some offer for 70 bucks a while ago to give to my father in law for his birthday. Go figure...
    04-20-11 11:47 PM
    Plenty of people find reading on an lcd just fine and for others like myself who already have various devices including a kindle, the inability to also read those books on your playbook is very annoying.
    04-21-11 02:35 AM
    I agree that I would much rather read on my e-ink Nook, but, since I will always have my playbook with me but will sometimes leave the Nook at home, I would love to be able to read a couple pages on the PB when I have a few extra minutes in the day and have those pages sync with my B&N library. Just an added convenience for me, but not a necessity.
    04-21-11 10:15 AM
    I want the kids books for Nook Color on the playbook. I use a Nook for regular reading.
    04-21-11 11:09 AM
    I'm waiting for an OverDrive app!!!!!!
    screamlordbyron likes this.
    04-21-11 11:13 AM
    I don't understand why everyone wants to ruin their eyes by reading on a backlit tablet. Kindle's and Nooks are cheap. Why not buy that when you read a lot? It's WAY nicer. I picked up a Nook on some offer for 70 bucks a while ago to give to my father in law for his birthday. Go figure...
    Agreed. I have a Kindle and prefer reading from it. However, I sometimes get caught in a situation where I need to kill some time and don't have my Kindle with me. One of the nice things about the Kindle is that the book is kept synced on the various devices so that if I'm out and about without the Kindle I can call the book up on another device and pick up right where I left off. Being doing this on my Torch ever since I got it. Would love a bigger screen though.
    04-21-11 11:47 AM
    The Kindle is great (I own one of the new generation) when you are going to sit down at home and read. The problem is that - eventhough it is very small - it is kind of a one trick pony and a pain to always take with you.

Right now, I'm a watch, keys, wallet, blackberry guy. I've tried adding the PB the past few days. No chance my Kindle ever gets added to the list.

Kindle apps are great because they alll sync up together and let you read the same book on multiple devices - whatever you have handy. I've read large portions of a book on my 9700 while on the, ahem, can.
    04-21-11 12:03 PM
    I also have a Kindle and love it, but to be able to combine this with a playbook app would be awesome. I like to read in bed and even though I use a book light, the ability to read on the playbook would be a big plus.

The Kobo app seems nice on the playbook, but I don't want to use two platforms. Maybe Kobo shelled out some big money to be exclusive for a while. We'll see.
    04-22-11 06:27 AM
    I too would really love to see additional options for eReders, including Kindle and Nook. OverDrive, inparticular sounds interesting because I have descent colleciton of DRM-Free books I'd love to be able to side-load.
    04-22-11 09:59 AM
    That's because you haven't used a Nook Color. The lack of a Nook app on the Playbook is the one thing that is keeping me just evaluating it and still using my NC.
    FluidicAztec likes this.
    04-22-11 10:03 AM
    That's because you haven't used a Nook Color. The lack of a Nook app on the Playbook is the one thing that is keeping me just evaluating it and still using my NC.
    I laughed when I read this. I have for sure put in 10x as much time with my modded nook color than my PB since the PB released haha. Theres just so much more to do. Are you running stock software on yours? I loaded up Cyanogen7 about a week ago after having gone through NookieFroyo and HoneyNook. Honeycomb actually ran ok, but Cyanogen7 has been waaay better. I just find it funny that at this point I can have more fun with the tablet that was $275 than with the tablet that was 750 haha Still love my PlayBook though. Especially with all this stuff on the news right now about apple and google...
    04-22-11 11:37 AM
    I laughed when I read this. I have for sure put in 10x as much time with my modded nook color than my PB since the PB released haha. Theres just so much more to do. Are you running stock software on yours? I loaded up Cyanogen7 about a week ago after having gone through NookieFroyo and HoneyNook. Honeycomb actually ran ok, but Cyanogen7 has been waaay better. I just find it funny that at this point I can have more fun with the tablet that was $275 than with the tablet that was 750 haha Still love my PlayBook though. Especially with all this stuff on the news right now about apple and google...
    CM-7 for sure for about the last month. The tablet tweaks put it over the top. However, the Playbook hardware is superior in almost every way...my dream is to have someone port CM-7 to the Playbook but I am too chicken to post that suggestion on the CM-7 forum...I will do it if you will give it a +1 afterwards
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    04-22-11 12:57 PM
    CM-7 for sure for about the last month. The tablet tweaks put it over the top. However, the Playbook hardware is superior in almost every way...my dream is to have someone port CM-7 to the Playbook but I am too chicken to post that suggestion on the CM-7 forum...I will do it if you will give it a +1 afterwards
    Haha, as long as we brace ourselves for the onslaught
    Definitely PB is far superior, but as far as menus and app interaction... well... I won't even say it
    04-22-11 02:02 PM
    Haha, as long as we brace ourselves for the onslaught
    Definitely PB is far superior, but as far as menus and app interaction... well... I won't even say it
    I am actually serious, imagine a PB running CM-7...

In any case I have done some sleuthing and there are a couple of threads started about the Playbook at XDA but no one has suggested a port. I think I will head over there now and ask it in a naive, I-am-not-a-programmer kind of way.

Edited in:
    So I did post the question here: [Q] BB Playbook dual boot - xda-developers. Mine is the second post in the thread.
    Last edited by Pigpen1050; 04-22-11 at 04:29 PM.
    04-22-11 04:18 PM
    I think what we are seeing is BN and Amazon wanting people to use their hardware. Problem is: If they don't come with apps for various platforms such as the Playbook, they will lose customers.
    I don't care for a backlit display. But sometimes I would like to just fire up my Playbook and read my Nookbook on it.

Come on BN, you can come with this Playbook app tomorrow if you wanted to. I don't understand the delay.
    04-25-11 04:59 PM
    If there's no Kindle app, I won't get the PB. It's a dealbreaker for me. And yes, I have an actual Kindle as well, and a lot of sunk cost in Kindle books, some of which are materials that I consult repeatedly. If it turns out that the PB won't get a Kindle app, I'll get an Android tablet.
    04-26-11 08:20 AM
    If there's no Kindle app, I won't get the PB. It's a dealbreaker for me. And yes, I have an actual Kindle as well, and a lot of sunk cost in Kindle books, some of which are materials that I consult repeatedly. If it turns out that the PB won't get a Kindle app, I'll get an Android tablet.
    RIM already announced there would be a kindle app for Playbook it's just a matter of how long before we get it Soon i hope.
    04-26-11 12:39 PM
    I'd give my left nut for OverDrive!!!!!
    04-26-11 01:04 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I already have an iPad and an Android tablet, and will likely end up keeping those for as long there's no Kindle app for the PB.

I'm ready to switch back to my VZW Bold 9650 (and add a PB to my arsenal) from my VZW iPhone 4, but not until Kindle and a few other apps are ready.
    Last edited by djrakowski; 04-26-11 at 01:31 PM.
    04-26-11 01:27 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD