Just bought one for the G/F, she really likes it, but we're looking to add a little functionality which requires app-store payments, and that likely involves me.

We don't use Blackberry phones, so no familiarity with the ecosystem outside the tablet.

I can't seem to find more than a handful of promoted playbook apps on the generic (PC website) app-store website, how do you browse for apps other than on the playbook itself?

Is it possible to pay for apps on the generic app-store website, no password protection on the playbook so not happy to buy through the playbook?

Given that it is not my playbook, how long until i can gift an app via app-store purchase to the account holder of the playbook (i.e. my G/F)?

Cheers.
    11-29-11 05:10 AM
    Just bought one for the G/F, she really likes it, but we're looking to add a little functionality which requires app-store payments, and that likely involves me.

We don't use Blackberry phones, so no familiarity with the ecosystem outside the tablet.

I can't seem to find more than a handful of promoted playbook apps on the generic (PC website) app-store website, how do you browse for apps other than on the playbook itself?

Is it possible to pay for apps on the generic app-store website, no password protection on the playbook so not happy to buy through the playbook?

Given that it is not my playbook, how long until i can gift an app via app-store purchase to the account holder of the playbook (i.e. my G/F)?

Cheers.
    There is no way to buy PB apps except using App World on the PlayBook. And unfortunately it is not possible to search for apps available for specific devices using the desktop browser version of App World.

When you set up a new PlayBook, you must specify a BBID that will be used for App World purchases. You cannot change the BBID on the device without doing a security wipe and start from scratch (losing all data and apps in the process).

Your best bet for gifting apps for a limited time would be for you to create a new BBID for your GF and associate your own credit card/Pay Pal account with that BBID. You could change the payment options at a later date without compromising the apps already purchased.

The alternative (not recommended) is for you to set up your GF's device with your personal BBID. The upside of this approach is that you would only need to purchase apps one time - she would have access to all of the apps that you purchase using your ID. The downside is that she would need to wipe her device if you changed your mind about the arrangement at a later time.

Hope this helps.
    jedibeeftrix likes this.
    11-29-11 07:39 AM
    When you log in to app world on the web, you can sign in with your BBID in the top-right corner. When you are signed in, you'll only see apps compatible with devices associated with your BBID. In your case, that would only be the PlayBook.

If I buy an app via App World, it always asks me for my password before purchasing... But then I do have a password set on my PB. You should too. These things are easily "misplaced".
    11-29-11 08:53 AM
    cheers.

here are three more:

1. Why doesn't blackberry provide access to the playbook library from a desktop browser?

2. There was a rumour that the app-store will soon allow gifted apps, does this mean we will finally get a web portal, or will they be stupid enough to restrict gifts only from other blackberry users?

3. When is #2 due to happen?
    Last edited by jedibeeftrix; 12-01-11 at 10:11 AM.
    12-01-11 05:51 AM
    bump

[obligatory extra text]
    12-05-11 04:57 AM
    I believe the guy who heads up App World said there's a major update coming Early 2012 (but what ISN'T coming in early 2012 from RIM?).

Speculation is that it will contain a revamped App World that functions on a PC web browser, ability to gift apps and more. Source

Not sure about being able to gift apps without a BlackBerry ID though. That's a good question.

Perhaps when the update comes out you can buy App World 'gift cards' and associate them with your girlfriend's account?
    jedibeeftrix likes this.
    12-05-11 12:08 PM
    cheers, that's a start, guess we'll have to see how things shake out...........
    12-06-11 04:23 AM
    The alternative (not recommended) is for you to set up your GF's device with your personal BBID.
    And that boys and girls is called theft and is a violation of the BlackBerry App World Terms & Conditions. Besides every time the girlfriend accesses BlackBerry App World she will be prompted to associate to the PIN with the BBID. Is everyone too cheap to pay for their own applications?
    12-06-11 07:33 AM
    Is everyone too cheap to pay for their own applications?
    No, my girlfriend has been given this as a toy, an ereader that can do a bit more (tm) in her case, but she is not especially geeky and less enthused by the idea of exploring its capabilities for all that she might appreciate them when available.

In the case of my folks, for whom I have also purchased a playbook as a newsreader that can do a bit more (tm), it will rarely ever leave the coffee table so convenience is king, in which case a password is a barrier to casual use.

The problem you need to address yourself too is whether Blackberry are serious about maximising the profit they derive from their app-store, unless it is really only a nice-to-have that they cobbled together so they wouldn't lose out on marketing bullet-points.

I do not have a BB device, so i have no BBID and no ability to even see the app-store independently at present. I don't want any tablet for myself, and have no intention of replacing my shiny new Nokia N9 with some BBOS7 antique. So while I won't have a BBID any time soon I might still want to throw some money at the BB coffers via the app-store.

If they are serious then the following is needed:
    1. Browsing and purchasing from the app-store via desktop browser.
    2. Purchasing apps on behalf of others through the app-store, it isn't difficult, check out kobo.
    3. Purchasing apps without already having a BBID at least in the case of friend purchases.
    Last edited by jedibeeftrix; 12-06-11 at 10:39 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-06-11 09:33 AM
    I do not have a BB device, so i have no BBID and no ability to even see the app-store independently at present. I don't want any tablet for myself, and have no intention of replacing my shiny new Nokia N9 with some BBOS7 antique. So while I won't have a BBID any time soon I might still want to throw some money at the BB coffers via the app-store.

If they are serious then the following is needed:
    1. Browsing and purchasing from the app-store via desktop browser.
    2. Purchasing apps on behalf of others through the app-store, it isn't difficult, check out kobo.
    3. Purchasing apps without already having a BBID at least in the case of friend purchases.
    I don't know about other developers but I do not provision App World with my app in order to fill the "BB coffers". My intention is to allow individuals to buy a licence to use my software and have access to it on any of their compatible devices. In addition, since I am the owner of the intellectual property and as such, I have certain rights. I am will to pay RIM a portion of my profits to manage the distribution of my product and to ensure that the software can be downloaded by licensed users should they (for example) need to reinstall the operating system on their device. The service that RIM provides requires that they keep a record of licensed users and so they ask all purchasers to identify themselves with a unique identifier (the BBID).

So to make a long story short, I am in complete agreement with your three conditions for third party purchases. But I would be disinclined to provision App World with my app if RIM no longer required you to identify the intended recipients of your gifts.
    12-06-11 12:16 PM
    all BB devices have a BBID (afaik), so i am fine that the recipient of my gifted app should have that app tied to their ID, but i shouldn't be expected to know it.

let me gift the app to via their email address, it is then BB's job to link the email with the BBID, that we we can hope to fill everyone's coffers.
    12-07-11 03:37 AM
    all BB devices have a BBID (afaik), so i am fine that the recipient of my gifted app should have that app tied to their ID, but i shouldn't be expected to know it.

let me gift the app to via their email address, it is then BB's job to link the email with the BBID, that we we can hope to fill everyone's coffers.
    I hope you include me in this mystical group you refer to as "everyone." You will be pleased to know that the BBID is, ijn fact, the user's email address under normal circumstances. But some customer's use multiple BBIDs (for whatever reason) and there is currently no way for RIM to link them all to a particular person. In this case, the gift-er would have to be careful to specify the email address that matches the target device. Let's hope that RIM implements this feature soon and gets it right. There is plenty of room to botch things up royally and create a support nightmare.
    jedibeeftrix likes this.
    12-07-11 10:17 AM
    BuzzStarField, there shouldn't be any reason why they can't set up gifts with a one-time authentication code that can be emailed to the recipient, at any email address. The purchaser should not have to know their BBID. The only downside here is that if the email is intercepted, someone else could claim the gift for themselves. There's no risk to developers though... that's just a matter between the buyer and the recipient, and maybe RIM if they want to respond to requests like "my gift got used but by the wrong person!"
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    12-07-11 10:46 AM
    BuzzStarField, there shouldn't be any reason why they can't set up gifts with a one-time authentication code that can be emailed to the recipient, at any email address. The purchaser should not have to know their BBID. The only downside here is that if the email is intercepted, someone else could claim the gift for themselves. There's no risk to developers though... that's just a matter between the buyer and the recipient, and maybe RIM if they want to respond to requests like "my gift got used but by the wrong person!"
    I am in favour of generalized gift certificates made available in the manner that you suggest.

But if the gifter is allowed to specify a particular app, there is a very good possibility that the recipient will not be able to load the app because their device is not supported. I would not like to receive complaints that I allowed someone to purchase my app but didn't even bother to make a version available for the recipient's device. I already get a large number of emails asking why I don't support some devices - but currently there is no way to buy a PB app and try to load it on your 9700, so it's not a problem.

Maybe the purchaser will know that App World billing is solely RIM's responsibility (and not blame me personally), but there are still going to be support repercussions given the fragmented marketplace that now exists. I think the number of requests for refunds will increase significantly if the gifting mechanism is not implemented properly.
    peter9477 and jedibeeftrix like this.
    12-07-11 12:36 PM
    Excellent points, no arguments from here.
    12-07-11 05:09 PM
    I hope you include me in this mystical group you refer to as "everyone." You will be pleased to know that the BBID is, ijn fact, the user's email address under normal circumstances. But some customer's use multiple BBIDs (for whatever reason) and there is currently no way for RIM to link them all to a particular person. In this case, the gift-er would have to be careful to specify the email address that matches the target device. Let's hope that RIM implements this feature soon and gets it right. There is plenty of room to botch things up royally and create a support nightmare.
    certainly i do.

i see the problem with multiple BBID's and incompatible apps, but they do need to solve it.

multiple BBID's isn't so much the problem, i have multiple email addresses and yet kobo still offers the ability to gift a book to a specified email address. caveat emptor.

incompatible apps is a bigger problem for the reasons you mention, but perhaps payment can simply not be taken until the gift is redeemed, which if not done within 30 days cancels the transaction.
    12-08-11 05:00 AM
    12-16-11 09:27 AM
    Sorta! It's a good sign. While gifting of Apps has come to App Work on BlackBerry Phones it has NOT yet come the PlayBook. However you would think that it is entirely possible. I major new version of the OS is due in Feb.
    jedibeeftrix likes this.
    12-16-11 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD