I was grabbing a playbook withheld excitement that when my 9930 is charging I could use my bridge to send and receive text messages and email. Email is great but I can't find a way to send and receive text messages. Is it not a part of the OS?
    02-23-12 12:41 PM
    no, sms is not part of the OS

there are however a few apps in the appworld that can accomplish this for you!
    Coraya likes this.
    02-23-12 12:47 PM
    Is it coming or is it most likely never going to be a part of the OS. To me it seems like. A pretty big deal
    02-23-12 12:50 PM
    I use Google Voice for free sms.
    Coraya likes this.
    02-23-12 12:51 PM
    I just searched in app world for Google voice. Is it under a different name?
    02-23-12 12:57 PM
    Playbook has no 2g 3g 4g radio and as you need those to reieve true SMS that is why it is not there... As SMS is not implimented in the brdge ( SURPRISING ) .... You can do it however... SMS textbridge in App World runs on your phone and allows you to send and recieve text message via you emial on the phone which allows you to use the mail bridge to send recieve from you playbook.... Text appear as you phone number.... Not a true native sms but works well ... I have used it for the last 4 months with no issues......

Hope this helps....
    Coraya likes this.
    02-23-12 12:57 PM
    Is that the apprentice for 3.99 that you're talking about? I really appreciate. Your help
    02-23-12 01:04 PM
    I just searched in app world for Google voice. Is it under a different name?
    I just use the browser. The people I use it with have my GVoice number listed as a 2nd mobile number, so it shows up as me and they just reply. No need to track which number I'm using.
    Coraya likes this.
    02-23-12 01:09 PM
    Is that the app *** not apprentice lol
    02-23-12 01:11 PM
    Hope something to come down the road via bridge. You can see incoming calls on your PB. You should be able to see text messages via bridge and respond without having to pick your phone. The apps that I've seen appear complicated/cluttered because they appear to work using your inbox.
    02-23-12 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD