Probably it's just a politic reason... RIM wants to focus on their Video Store first, don't blame Netflix now, we don't know what is happening behind the scene...

We see Netflix on all protable device 3DS, Vita etc... it would be very stupid if Netflix didn't want to port it on a playbook...

Just wait and see
    02-24-12 09:44 AM
    I don't know what all the netflix hype is about...I have never used it and probably never will either.
    Oh, OK then I guess we can stop talking about it...I wonder if my post is as useless as yours....this is fun, sorry for wasting everyone's time
    02-24-12 09:44 AM
    Probably it's just a politic reason... RIM wants to focus on their Video Store first, don't blame Netflix now, we don't know what is happening behind the scene...

We see Netflix on all protable device 3DS, Vita etc... it would be very stupid if Netflix didn't want to port it on a playbook...

Just wait and see
    While I agree that it's probably a political reason, the reality is that customers are bailing on RIM because they don't have access to what other platforms offer. They're running the race from behind now where I think in the past they were used to being the frontrunner. Playing politics might not be their best strategy right now.
    02-24-12 09:51 AM
    While I agree that it's probably a political reason, the reality is that customers are bailing on RIM because they don't have access to what other platforms offer. They're running the race from behind now where I think in the past they were used to being the frontrunner. Playing politics might not be their best strategy right now.
    Totally agree dear friend...
    but the solution is not to cancel you sbscritpion to Netflix, is to avoid Video Store of RIM, or the both, in fact, don't use any video contents on your device
    Last edited by SuperDuckWC; 02-24-12 at 09:58 AM.
    BerryDiva likes this.
    02-24-12 09:54 AM
    Seems at least some people are taking note (if only on the BlackBerry side).

Kevin Saunders just tweeted: https://twitter.com/#!/asaunders/sta...64651146403840

I'm amazed at the outpouring the Netflix accounts are getting. No way they can ignore this!
    02-24-12 10:06 AM
    As soon as BB videostore store is available in Canada, bye bye net. My kids watch it discovering the old movies they think are new makes it hard to cancel.
    02-24-12 10:34 AM
    One of the many reasons I dumped this overrated, under supplied service. Why spen a penny for "new" movies that are 5-10 years old?

I woould like to see a good streaming service, but was never sold Netflix was the one.
    02-24-12 10:52 AM
    Netflix just responded:

https://twitter.com/#!/Netflixhelps/...10896644722689

"Generally we want to be on every screen that’s relevant to you. While we don’t support Blackberry today, our plans can change. Thanks all!"
    02-24-12 12:25 PM
    I feel like the CB Nation has gone bezerk-o over this. For months now, RIM has been attempting to get all their devices on the SAME platform, ultimately to be called BB10. For months now, RIM has been announcing that the PB was going to get a bigtime makeover with OS2. The PB now has the latest BB10 platform (supposedly) and the phones will follow, albeit much later this year.

Why the heck would we realistically believe that ANYONE would not wait for the full implementation of the BB10 platform? Port it once, distribute to all BB devices, simple.

Are there not BB fans also waiting for the unified BB10 phones/tabby to come out, rather than using their upgrade on an OS7.1 device? RIM comes out and says that OS7.1 is a stop-gap measure until BB10. Why are we holding Netflix and the rest of the devs to a different standard?

Personally, I expect Netflix, Skype, whoever, to consider the BB10 platform but only after it is fully rolling. If I were writing apps for BB/PB, I would wait too.

Skewer Netflix if you want. But Monday before the upgrade, Netflix was a must-have for OS2 to be relevant. Just my $0.02 USD.

Edit: Just read the Alec Saunders tweet. Is the bezerk-o CB Nation about to undo RIM's efforts to get Netflix in the family?
    Last edited by jcbrunson; 02-24-12 at 01:45 PM.
    02-24-12 01:38 PM
    There's more to this than just market share. I have Netflix on my WD TV Live, and there's no way that comes anywhere close to having sold as many units as the Playbook, even before the price drop. I just hope that RIM haven't made a daft decision and entered into an exclusive contract with the Video Store provider, promising to block any other major video apps.
    This is probably the most logical explanation, because there is no technical limitation as why Netflix can't run on the PlayBook - heck if it can emulate Android, then streaming lacklustre movies can't be too hard.
    02-24-12 01:44 PM
    Cancelled.

The first law of damage control used to be "don't do more damage".

It seems Netflix wish to re-write that rule.
    zethaaron likes this.
    02-24-12 02:07 PM
    Yup. I too have no current plans to give them any more cash either. Amazon Prime works awesome.
    lgmarines likes this.
    02-24-12 02:09 PM
    I dont understand netflix's position on this to be honest.
    Netflix isn't specifically tied to any platform. there's no reason why they should stay to one hardware vendor. They're not owned by any of them.
    As a developer, You should be attempting to hit every single potential customer.
    I understand the "return on investment" principle. But RIM has made it as easy as humanly possible to get applications developed for the Playbook.

Heck. You dont even have to really design them for the playbook. with the ability to play android apps, or even do pure HTML5, you're not talking about netflix starting from the ground up.

Now what are alternatives? Can the playbooks built in browser play Netflix computer streaming or do you HAVe to have an app?

I had Netflix for about 2 months, I cancelled, not because of this lack of support from them, but because the Canadian Version of Netflix is terrible. the show selection is miniscule and unless you want to watch 15 year old movies you probably own on DVD already, then there's nothing else on it.

But this outright refusal to support the playbook would probably have me leaving netflix too. Why would I pay for a service that I can't use on devices I already owned
    02-24-12 02:32 PM
    If you're in Canada I'm not sure why you would want to pay for Netflix. I gave it a trial and found almost none of what I wanted to watch. The service is rubbish in this country and my money is spent better elsewhere. Can't speak for the US selections.
    02-24-12 02:32 PM
    Has anyone had a chance to try the Android Netflix App?
    02-24-12 02:33 PM
    Well that's it. I've waited patiently for OS 2.0 and I've tried to find workarounds to so many of the things I can do so easily on my iOS devices, but this is really the last straw for me. I'll admit, for $200 the hardware is impressive (except the power button) but, the software is lacking. without Hulu or Netflix or pandora or kindle or (etc) this platform is dying. There is nothing it can do better than iOS except its cheaper (and the sound. Good speakers.). I kinda wish I could have been around in rim's heyday and drank some of the koolaid...but I don't see what the deal is. "but it plays flash better than your iPad!" the only flash site I can think of is Hulu and it doesn't work. Took the PB to the pawnshop and they won't accept it. Told me to donate it to charity.

If all of the blackberry users cancel Netflix, I don't know what they'd do without those 37 people? (1 million playbook owners, assuming 90% cancel netfix to [cough] protest, they'll make it up on only 20% of new kindle owners. Or nook owners, vita users, roku owners, HTC owners, Samsung DVD players, smart tvs made by Sony, LG or others, windows phone users, TiVo owners or the MILLIONS of android and apple owners, not to mention using that old fashioned thing called a computer...all of this assumes of course that there are 1 million PB owners and that 90% subscribe to Netflix.)

I'm being hard here but apple alone sold 102 times as many iPads q4 2011. iPads alone. Not to mention iPods and iPhones (iPhone sold 133 times as many in q3 as PB in q4- not quite apples to apples but you get the picture) and Netflix plays on every single one of them. No wonder Netflix doesn't want to dabble in this arena. At the rate RIM has put out features on this thing (one year for email?) we'll see LTE by about 2015. I agree with an above poster: rim should have paid Netflix (and others) to get them on board. (RIM 150,000 q4, iPad 15.4 mil q4, iPhone 20.3 mil q3)

I brought this up in another thread but we've seen this kind of software/hardware marketing failure before. Sega Saturn anyone? Great hardware. Launched with 6 titles. PS one came into the marketplace ...and well... We still have the play stations don't we?
    02-24-12 04:30 PM
    If you have to have Netflix on your playbook. Then get PlayOn software. It works great for Netflix, Hulu and many other pay and free services.
    Yep, this is a better way to go. You get NetFlix if you need it. Plus, you can stick it to Hulu for blocking the PB while not offering a Hulu+ app
    02-24-12 04:44 PM
    For a company who's subscriber base has hit its peak, I don't believe Netflix is in the position to turn people away. Not a smart move. Time to cancel my subscription. To lleh with Netflix.
    02-24-12 05:34 PM
    Well that's it. I've waited patiently for OS 2.0 and I've tried to find workarounds to so many of the things I can do so easily on my iOS devices, but this is really the last straw for me.
    You waited patiently to come troll a BlackBerry fan site.
    UrbanGlowCam and llllBULLSEYE like this.
    02-24-12 06:13 PM
    I have long maintained that this is precisely what RIM should do if Netflix won't develop a PB app on its own: PAY THEM TO DO SO.

Not having Netflix on the PB is a major, major drawback just in terms of marketing alone. I see Verizon billboards for one Android phone, and what's the one app whose logo the billboard shows as being available on the device? It ain't Angry Birds.

I can't believe the powers that be at RIM are so excruciatingly dense that they do not recognize the value of having a Netflix app on the PB. It's Marketing 101. Drop the insipid BeBold campaign and use the money saved to toss a couple of million at Netflix.
    I agree, the lack of Netflix was one of the reasons I sold my Playbook.. I still believe the Playbook OS is one of the best mobile experiences out there but It is lacking in the apps department.

Even though it may be easy for some people to switch to Amazon Prime, the problem is everyone in my house uses Netflix.. The devices that currently use them are our Nintendo Wii, Computers (3), iPod Touch 4G, & Galaxy Nexus.. Amazon Prime is not supported by any of the devices we own apart from the Computers..
    02-24-12 06:31 PM
    Well that's it. I've waited patiently for OS 2.0 and I've tried to find workarounds to so many of the things I can do so easily on my iOS devices, but this is really the last straw for me. I'll admit, for $200 the hardware is impressive (except the power button) but, the software is lacking. without Hulu or Netflix or pandora or kindle or (etc) this platform is dying. There is nothing it can do better than iOS except its cheaper (and the sound. Good speakers.). I kinda wish I could have been around in rim's heyday and drank some of the koolaid...but I don't see what the deal is. "but it plays flash better than your iPad!" the only flash site I can think of is Hulu and it doesn't work. Took the PB to the pawnshop and they won't accept it. Told me to donate it to charity.

If all of the blackberry users cancel Netflix, I don't know what they'd do without those 37 people? (1 million playbook owners, assuming 90% cancel netfix to [cough] protest, they'll make it up on only 20% of new kindle owners. Or nook owners, vita users, roku owners, HTC owners, Samsung DVD players, smart tvs made by Sony, LG or others, windows phone users, TiVo owners or the MILLIONS of android and apple owners, not to mention using that old fashioned thing called a computer...all of this assumes of course that there are 1 million PB owners and that 90% subscribe to Netflix.)

I'm being hard here but apple alone sold 102 times as many iPads q4 2011. iPads alone. Not to mention iPods and iPhones (iPhone sold 133 times as many in q3 as PB in q4- not quite apples to apples but you get the picture) and Netflix plays on every single one of them. No wonder Netflix doesn't want to dabble in this arena. At the rate RIM has put out features on this thing (one year for email?) we'll see LTE by about 2015. I agree with an above poster: rim should have paid Netflix (and others) to get them on board. (RIM 150,000 q4, iPad 15.4 mil q4, iPhone 20.3 mil q3)

I brought this up in another thread but we've seen this kind of software/hardware marketing failure before. Sega Saturn anyone? Great hardware. Launched with 6 titles. PS one came into the marketplace ...and well... We still have the play stations don't we?
    Seems obvious, use your iPad then.. be done with your PlayBook. You clearly hate it. Unless of course you just want to stick around here and whine some more about your own purchasing choices, lol. In which case, maybe you should just log out and never come back because I'm sure it won't be long until your run your course here.
    02-24-12 06:40 PM
    You waited patiently to come troll a BlackBerry fan site.
    I actually came on here at first because it was a great source of user help with the aforesaid Playbook. However today's announcement shows there is little I can do (the playon solution notwithstanding) to get Netflix on the playbook. Which is a shame cause it is a beautiful screen.
    Seems obvious, use your iPad then.. be done with your PlayBook. You clearly hate it. Unless of course you just want to stick around here and whine some more about your own purchasing choices, lol. In which case, maybe you should just log out and never come back because I'm sure it won't be long until your run your course here.
    I didn't think I'd run afoul of any of the forum rules. Of all the forums I'm on, people don't get kicked off for being obstinate.

And you are right. It was a bad purchase on my part. The demo at Bestbuy was broken (my first hint perhaps) and I took the clerk's word that netflix would be on it. When I got home I realized I'd been had by a hack (worstbuy thank you) and had waited and hoped that 2.0 would be my solution. Why netflix? To substitute the iPad for my children so I could use it to get more work done. It was (and to some degree still is) a good buy for those in the price range of an iPod touch, but I was misled by my own lack of research. You get what you pay for.

And while I may have been a little abrasive, I think my argument still stands and Netflix's business decision seems to back that up. There is not enough of a future left with this device to warrant their interest. However, if I am breaking any forum rules let me know.
    02-24-12 07:22 PM
    Hey how did you get here? I though I set a troll trap
    02-24-12 07:39 PM
    Hey how did you get here? I though I set a troll trap
    Bridge has attracted them. It's the natural habitat of trolls...

I sure hope we get 4 or 5 more threads about Netflix. Too many is never enough!
    02-24-12 07:43 PM
    Just called netflix (Canada).
    The rep told me that he has seen it on playbook, and 'select playbooks currently have it running for testing purposes'.
    Just not ready for mainstream yet but very very soon he said.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    02-24-12 08:12 PM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD