Yo netflix. Playbook has an hdmi connector. It plays android apps. Port the app put it in beta zone and dont worry to much about it.
    02-24-12 03:52 AM
    Like it or not, cancel or not, this is a HUGE setback for rim and the Playbook. For one of the big vendors to come outright and say this is a huge setback. 90%of people will not buy this tablet because of this, I use Netflix heavily and this makes me want to go out and buy an ipad. If this is actually true rim needs to fix this. Bad publicity for a great tablet
    02-24-12 05:33 AM
    There are multiple Netflix twitter accounts and one that is verified. Could this be a hoax?
    02-24-12 05:39 AM
    Hi
    I am in the UK and was going to subscribe to Netflix. After reading this news I've sent them an email of complaint. If I get a response, I'll let CB know. For your information, this is the email that I sent:

Dear Sirs,
    I recently discovered that the Netflix service has no intention of, or any current plans to, support BlackBerry devices including the PlayBook.

Since Netflix had recently opened in the UK and being a BlackBerry user, I was very much looking forward to signing up to the Netflix service in order to be able to view movies on my mobile and tablet. However, in light of this news I don't feel that this is something that I will now do.

I think that omitting Blackberry devices, especially the PlayBook from your portfolio of support devices is very narrowed minded, and, at worst, lame.
    Netflix need to realise that they are offering a service to customers and that if Netflix refuses to offer the consumer what they want then Netflix becomes irrelevant and consumer will either not sign up or will cancel their accounts and move to a competitor.

I would be extremely interested to read your replies.
    02-24-12 06:24 AM
    Hi
    I am in the UK and was going to subscribe to Netflix. After reading this news I've sent them an email of complaint. If I get a response, I'll let CB know. For your information, this is the email that I sent:

Dear Sirs,
    I recently discovered that the Netflix service has no intention of, or any current plans to, support BlackBerry devices including the PlayBook.

Since Netflix had recently opened in the UK and being a BlackBerry user, I was very much looking forward to signing up to the Netflix service in order to be able to view movies on my mobile and tablet. However, in light of this news I don't feel that this is something that I will now do.

I think that omitting Blackberry devices, especially the PlayBook from your portfolio of support devices is very narrowed minded, and, at worst, lame.
    Netflix need to realise that they are offering a service to customers and that if Netflix refuses to offer the consumer what they want then Netflix becomes irrelevant and consumer will either not sign up or will cancel their accounts and move to a competitor.

I would be extremely interested to read your replies.
    Dear BlackBerry fan,

The reality is that, at the moment, the PB market share is so small that it's not worth it for us to develop an app for it. The only reason we created an app for windows phone is because Microsoft paid us. So stop torturing yourself and buy the iPad 3 when it comes out next month. You will have tons of multimedia options.
    02-24-12 06:39 AM
    I really wish Crackberry, a Blackberry fan site, would stop getting paid by Netflix, a company refusing to support Blackberry devices, for advertising.
    02-24-12 06:46 AM
    theres plenty of alternative to watching movies i can do without netflix. plus im in canada and netflix sucks here. id be surprised if zip.ca or blockbuster wouldnt come out with a inovative idea before them in canada.
    02-24-12 06:46 AM
    I really wish Crackberry, a Blackberry fan site, would stop getting paid by Netflix, a company refusing to support Blackberry devices, for advertising.
    I fail to see what that has to do with the thread topic other than your failed attempt at sarcasm?
    02-24-12 07:06 AM
    Dear BlackBerry fan,

The reality is that, at the moment, the PB market share is so small that it's not worth it for us to develop an app for it. The only reason we created an app for windows phone is because Microsoft paid us. So stop torturing yourself and buy the iPad 3 when it comes out next month. You will have tons of multimedia options.
    Sorry vlade31 but why do I want to go and buy and iPad when I already own a damn fine PlayBook thank you very much!.

I am NOT torturing myself. What I AM doing is lodging a complaint with a service company which I believe is being very narrow-minded and I am keeping those that are interested informed. I am also aware that there are plenty of other service providers available that offer the same type of product as that provided by Netflix.
    02-24-12 07:24 AM
    I fail to see what that has to do with the thread topic other than your failed attempt at sarcasm?
    The thread is about Netflix not supporting PlayBook or Blackberry. It's titled, "No [current plans for] Netflix for the PlayBook. Confimed"

If you don't see how my comment is related to Netflix, Blackberry, or the PlayBook, then I'm not sure I can help you.
    02-24-12 07:25 AM
    What some of you are failing to recognize is, when a business has no plans currently on developing an application for a certain platform, they usually like to keep their options open.

Usually, (and take this with a grain of salt), when a company says "NO. NONONONONO." they are hiding something that they want to release later.

No idea, but that's how it usually works.
    02-24-12 07:27 AM
    What some of you are failing to recognize is, when a business has no plans currently on developing an application for a certain platform, they usually like to keep their options open.

Usually, (and take this with a grain of salt), when a company says "NO. NONONONONO." they are hiding something that they want to release later.

No idea, but that's how it usually works.
    So, what you're saying is, Netflix comes out and says they aren't developing anything for Blackberry, but then soon after a PlayBook app will come out?

I don't see how denying it and being secretive would add any value to their company.
    02-24-12 07:30 AM
    If you have to have Netflix on your playbook. Then get PlayOn software. It works great for Netflix, Hulu and many other pay and free services.
    02-24-12 07:41 AM
    I don't have a problem with CB taking Netflix money fo zero gain to Netflix
    brucep1 likes this.
    02-24-12 07:44 AM
    I don't have a problem with CB taking Netflix money fo zero gain to Netflix
    Good point!
    02-24-12 07:46 AM
    i thought some people found some netflix files buried within OS 2.0 during the beta developer editions. I thought that meant netflix might launch with 2.0 or shortly there after.
    02-24-12 07:52 AM
    I don't know what all the netflix hype is about...I have never used it and probably never will either.
    02-24-12 08:27 AM
    You are certainly missing something here. Did you even read the communication from Netflix? People really should check the paranoid conspiracy theory stuff at the door and just look at the facts. They made a reasonable business decision based upon their own priorities. It really just says that they don't view the Playbook as having enough of a market sector to make it worth supporting. Reality is when your market share gets lumped in with other that is what you can expect. These are just simple business decisions and a fraction of a percent of subscribers is not something on which to spend money. As a virtual non-player, RIM would need to make worth Netflix's while to put something together. BTW, the same is true for many Android tablet makers. They have access to Netflix because Android (cumulatively) has enough market share, not because the Toshiba Thrive or Acer Iconia has enough market pull on its own.

I am sorry to break it to people but the Playbook is not competing with the iPad and Apple is not bribing companies to stay away. There is a good reason why Apple is suing HTC, Motorola, Google, Samsung, etc., but not RIM. All of the above are tied in one way or another to Android, which has Apple's attention sincce it is taking marketshare, whereas RIM is (at best) a footnote on a page. Once again, if the Playbook's full web experience included Silverlight support, there would also be no need for an app in the first place....
    The reality is RIM needs to bribe Netflix to get support for PlayBook. Just like MS did for WP7, Sony did for PS Vita and Motorola did for Xoom (which later Netflix released for all Android devices). And just like RIM did to get Angry Birds, Cut the Rope and a bunch of EA games on PlayBook. Although maybe RIM is more focused on their video store launching and is ignoring Netflix as a result.
    02-24-12 08:29 AM
    There's more to this than just market share. I have Netflix on my WD TV Live, and there's no way that comes anywhere close to having sold as many units as the Playbook, even before the price drop. I just hope that RIM haven't made a daft decision and entered into an exclusive contract with the Video Store provider, promising to block any other major video apps.
    02-24-12 08:36 AM
    There's more to this than just market share. I have Netflix on my WD TV Live, and there's no way that comes anywhere close to having sold as many units as the Playbook, even before the price drop. I just hope that RIM haven't made a daft decision and entered into an exclusive contract with the Video Store provider, promising to block any other major video apps.
    I highly doubt this. RIM isn't in any position to do this and I'm sure they realize it. Keep all options open.
    02-24-12 08:38 AM
    It boggles my mind that a company like this can tap into a market a couple million strong now....and will be as 75+ million over the next 1-3 years and don't see the dollar signs to invest a couple months of development

I'm no mathalete but at 8 bucks a head each month.....

Tweet netflix and Skype!
    02-24-12 08:41 AM
    I highly doubt this. RIM isn't in any position to do this and I'm sure they realize it. Keep all options open.
    Given some of the decisions made over the last 18 months it wouldn't surprise me. Are there any apps that compete with the 7digital music store?
    02-24-12 08:44 AM
    Given some of the decisions made over the last 18 months it wouldn't surprise me. Are there any apps that compete with the 7digital music store?
    I mean it's certainly possible, but I think it's unlikely.

As far as the music apps I'm not sure. I've never really explored it in app world. I'm more of an internet radio person.
    02-24-12 08:57 AM
    Dear BlackBerry fan,

The reality is that, at the moment, the PB market share is so small that it's not worth it for us to develop an app for it. The only reason we created an app for windows phone is because Microsoft paid us.
    I have long maintained that this is precisely what RIM should do if Netflix won't develop a PB app on its own: PAY THEM TO DO SO.

Not having Netflix on the PB is a major, major drawback just in terms of marketing alone. I see Verizon billboards for one Android phone, and what's the one app whose logo the billboard shows as being available on the device? It ain't Angry Birds.

I can't believe the powers that be at RIM are so excruciatingly dense that they do not recognize the value of having a Netflix app on the PB. It's Marketing 101. Drop the insipid BeBold campaign and use the money saved to toss a couple of million at Netflix.
    02-24-12 09:05 AM
    It's also just occurred to me that Kobo comes pre-installed, and perhaps the reason we don't have an official Kindle app is because RIM won't allow competition from another major app. Exclusive contracts with the existing providers, or short-sighted restrictions, would certainly explain the absence of two of the major apps that everyone was hoping for.
    02-24-12 09:36 AM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD